Stupid cycling fashion trend

[email protected] wrote:

> Trendy that doesn't work, but done for trendiness sake = very UNcool

Yes, but Fredliness for Fredlinesses sake = WAY cool!

And telling the difference between those 2 requires one of those guys
from "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy".

[email protected] wrote:
> Can somebody tell me 1) why the hell anyone would wear a SOCK over the
> outside of their shoes and 2) who the hell started this stupid
> trend????
>
> If it's a little cold, wear wool socks. If it's a bit colder, wear a
> light outer shoe cover (one designed as a shoe cover). If it's really
> cold, wear a heavy bootie/shoe cover.
>
> If I see one more wanna-be pro (or actual pro) putzing around in SOCKS
> over his shoes I'm likely to frikkin' puke.
>
> Fred

Actually: they are the precursors to booties. You put a plastic bag
around your shoe and a sock over the plastic bag, and presto, you had
booties. When I was a college student, I was so poor that once, I
didn't have money to buy patches and I wrapped a tube with duct tape to
patch it. It held air for a while. I used to wear socks on top of my
shoes while my cycling buddies had this really pretty butties with the
La Vie Clair design, which, I thought, was retty cool.

Putting a thick wool sock under the show might not fit if the shoes are
snug. So, most people will wear a thin coolmax sock under the shoe.
Anything else will give you numb toes. A sock over your shoe will keep
your feet nice and warm on crips 40 degree mornings and your feet will
not overheat once the temperature reaches the 60s.

If you feel like puking, do some riding at your AT and then sprint.
That ought to make you want to puke.

Andres

[email protected] wrote:
> Mark Fennell wrote:
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Dat's right... it's soooo 2002, but you still see the schmucks wearing
> > > 'em.

> > And sometimes non-schmucks too...
> >
> > http://www.shutterfly.com/progal/slideshow.jsp?auto=0&aid=768a5498cf451feea5e5&idx=172
> >
> > ...with wc stripes even!

> God, I'm gonna hurl... is that you??? No, wait... don't answer.
> Don't want to know.
>
> That's the quintessential example of schmuckiness re: socks over shoes.
> Between the socks and the Rev-X wheels, somebody should run over that
> poor ******* and put him and everyone within eyesight out of their
> misery.
>
> Fred

You must be "Style Guy" from Bicycling Mag.

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Can somebody tell me 1) why the hell anyone would wear a SOCK over the
> > outside of their shoes and 2) who the hell started this stupid
> > trend????
> >
> > If it's a little cold, wear wool socks. If it's a bit colder, wear a
> > light outer shoe cover (one designed as a shoe cover). If it's really
> > cold, wear a heavy bootie/shoe cover.

> My guess is that it is the cheapest option if your shoe
> does not easily accommodate a variable sock thickness.
>
> Speaking of stupid cycling fashion trends, is Hincapie
> still wearing those butt ugly sunglasses? At lea$t that
> one wa$ ea$y to explain.

They look better than oakley M frames! The M's are so 1990's.

[email protected] wrote:
> A fur coat keeps you warmer than a shell, but I don't see anyone
> wearing those while riding!

That'll change next winter when Pimp Izumi brings out its new
line of high-style winter riding gear.

If you ride at a high enough effort, you don't need a fur coat or even
a heavy winter jacket, unless you're doing Iditarod or something.
The limiting factor, for me is my feet getting cold. Maybe I should
try this socks over the shoes thing.

Protects the shoes in case of a crash?

Bartow W. Riggs wrote:
> Protects the shoes in case of a crash?

We have a winner. Finally, one remotely reasonable use (that's not
handled more effectively by other means) for socks over the outside of
your shoes.

Fred