Stupid hybrid tire question.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by asahitoro, Mar 4, 2003.

  1. asahitoro

    asahitoro Guest

    I'm looking at tires for a hybrid type bike(26"). The main ones that I am considering are the
    Continental Town & Country and the Kenda Kwest. Should I get a larger tire for the back and smaller
    up front or both the same size? The Continental comes in a 1.9 and a 2.1. The bike will be on a
    paved bike trail 90% of the time. Thanks for any input,

    Scott

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] wrote in news:7yb9a.87781$163.1983897 @twister.tampabay.rr.com:
    > I'm looking at tires for a hybrid type bike(26"). The main ones that I am considering are the
    > Continental Town & Country and the Kenda Kwest. Should I get a larger tire for the back and
    > smaller up front or both the same size? The Continental comes in a 1.9 and a 2.1. The bike will be
    > on a paved bike trail 90% of the time. Thanks for any input,

    Mountain bikers often put bigger tires on their front wheel so they can get more cornering traction
    on fast, loose downhills. If you're mostly doing flat or paved riding, I'd get the same size tires,
    and in the narrower size.

    Ken

  3. As usual, I recommend the Tioga City-Slickers, 26 X 1.95, as the best smooth-tread tires for hybrids
    or mountain bikes. They perform well on corners and in the rain and are ultra-durable. I always
    install heavy, thorn-proof tubes (coded with an added TP) and have had only two flats in five years.
    I pay $19. each at an outdoor store for the City-Slickers. I average 40, heavily-loaded miles a day
    and the rear tires last 1 1/2 years and the front ones for 2 years.

    Steve McDonald

  4. I have the 2.1 T&C on my cruiser tandem (started out on my mtb). I'd go with a narrower tire...Tioga
    make a 1 1/2" if I'm not mistaken. My T&Cs are nice, but heavy and slow.

  5. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I too have the 2.1 Town and Country tires on a Cannondale F700. Next time, I'll get the 1.9s. Could
    be a while though; the 2.1s are wearing great.

    Joe