Stupid hybrid tire question.

asahitoro

Guest
I'm looking at tires for a hybrid type bike(26"). The main ones that I am considering are the
Continental Town & Country and the Kenda Kwest. Should I get a larger tire for the back and smaller
up front or both the same size? The Continental comes in a 1.9 and a 2.1. The bike will be on a
paved bike trail 90% of the time. Thanks for any input,

Scott

[email protected] wrote in news:7yb9a.87781$163.1983897 @twister.tampabay.rr.com:
> I'm looking at tires for a hybrid type bike(26"). The main ones that I am considering are the
> Continental Town & Country and the Kenda Kwest. Should I get a larger tire for the back and
> smaller up front or both the same size? The Continental comes in a 1.9 and a 2.1. The bike will be
> on a paved bike trail 90% of the time. Thanks for any input,

Mountain bikers often put bigger tires on their front wheel so they can get more cornering traction
on fast, loose downhills. If you're mostly doing flat or paved riding, I'd get the same size tires,
and in the narrower size.

Ken

As usual, I recommend the Tioga City-Slickers, 26 X 1.95, as the best smooth-tread tires for hybrids
or mountain bikes. They perform well on corners and in the rain and are ultra-durable. I always
install heavy, thorn-proof tubes (coded with an added TP) and have had only two flats in five years.
I pay $19. each at an outdoor store for the City-Slickers. I average 40, heavily-loaded miles a day
and the rear tires last 1 1/2 years and the front ones for 2 years.

Steve McDonald

I have the 2.1 T&C on my cruiser tandem (started out on my mtb). I'd go with a narrower tire...Tioga
make a 1 1/2" if I'm not mistaken. My T&Cs are nice, but heavy and slow.

I too have the 2.1 Town and Country tires on a Cannondale F700. Next time, I'll get the 1.9s. Could
be a while though; the 2.1s are wearing great.

Joe