Stupid Melbourne cyclists ???

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by otherworld, Apr 23, 2006.

1. otherworld

otherworld New Member

It’s been reported by a Melbourne friend of mine how riders on the Eltham – Diamond Creek road seem to think it’s a good idea to ride three-wide out of the bike lane on double lines.

So if this is a game make motorists get pissed-off with cyclists… Guess what, it’s working. Is this in our best interests?? I don’t think so.

Jay.

Tags:

2. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

there are bike lanes up there now?? COOOOOL!! :D I haven't ridden up there for about 12 years!!

Anyway, I agree with ya. There's smallish group that ride down the bike-laned Station St. between Chelsea and Mordialloc, and, even though they only ride 2 abreast, and there's only one car lane, they still feel the need to veer out of the bike lane and block the traffic behind them. I cracked it (to myself :)) and stopped riding with them

3. flipper

flipper New Member

hmmm, I rode through there early this year but I don't remember any bike lanes.

Just looked at the Melways...sorry, wrong road, I was thinking of the road that joins Eltham and Diamond Creek - Wattletree Rd.

Continue... :)

4. rooman

rooman New Member

being an oft user of Station Street, I guess I am one of your souls who "feels the need" to veer into the full lane...and it is necessary ( and legal) to do so when it is unsafe to ride in the bike lane...( when said lane is full of broken glass , blocked by parked trucks, fallen trees, rubbish and errant cars or slow cars driving in it (illegally)...

If you mean just riding in the car line and ignoring the bike lane...well rare, never do it and apart from being illegal is a stupidly selfish thing to do...

just note...we are not bound to the bike lane for eternity...there exist valid and essential reasons to use the full lane at times and I dont hesitate to do so, ensuring I am not (illegally) riding into the path of a vehicle to impede it..(another of the obscure road rules we have to observe and which is very difficult to interpret.

5. mikesbytes

mikesbytes New Member

Up in Sydney there are a lot of bike lanes that are painted along side parked cars. Hitting a car door at 30-40kmh is something I'd like to avoid.

6. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

yeah, I agree, and it wasn't your group:p (they don't go down there anymore, do they), but when cars can't get past, and there's nothing wrong with the bike lane in a particular section, and they still don't wanna get out of the way, that bugs me.

But, yeah, if there are no cars around, then I often ride down the middle of the lane, especially on Beach Rd :)

I'm determind to get these gifs and jpgs in order:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]