Stupid questions from non-cyclist

Today, just as I was going out for the evening ride (which I am fresh off of)

This was a girl in my apartment complex:

I emerge from my apartment in full kit, helmet, shoes and sunglasses.

Girl: You going to ride that bike?
Me: No, Im going to go to Saylor Park and work on my tan
Girl: Then what are you taking the bike for?
Me: Its pale, needs a tan too you know....:rolleyes:

mattv2099 said:
I forgot one.

me: <I come out of my room wearing full team kit, helmet, glasses, gloves, cycling shoes.>
dad: Are you going on a bike ride?
me: no.

or

dad: how many miles did you ride???
me: i dunno I go by hours.

next day

me: i dunno I go by hours.

next day

me: i dunno I go by hours..
etc...

Why don't you throw a number out? How do they know you didn't stop at Mcdonalds, Starbucks or a friends?

Very funny thread, could this possibly start to rival the "Ways to look a better rider than you are" thread :cool:

My old roomate "there is more than one kind of bike?" of course he was so dumb he would ask me where the phone was while I was talking on it.

my friends "you like biking right? come out and ride with me I just got a brand new bike, its awsome, it cost $200"

6 months later "could you come over and fix my bike, its broken"

when talking to guys at work
them: "what are you doing this weekend?"
me: "going on a 100 mile bike ride"
them: "thats a motercycle right?" or "you have a harley too?"

I brought a friend to a bike race once.
"how come you dropped out, it looked easy?" followed by "Im sure I would of been up near the front at the finish"

I had been telling several (obviously non-riding) friends that I was about to upgrade to a specialized Epic and they said what is so special about it? That is my favorite one.

I also get the "my god anthing that you spend over $1,000 on better have a motor".

You must have heard this one:

Your gonna ride 100 miles?, how many days will that take you?:confused:

or, is it harder when your going uphill? ... Do you actually ride on the road with all the cars out there?... where do you go to the bathroom?...what if you get a flat?...aren't you scared someone's gonna hit you? (ok that one's legit, but...):rolleyes:

RC

Here's one.

After replacing my inner tube I was about to put the wheel back on when someone says:

"Did the wheel just fall off?"

I suppose he thought he was being funny.

This one was from my wife to the LBS salesperson as we're getting her new bike:

"Why don't they just put the padding on the seat, then we could wear whatever shorts we wanted?"

Shouted from a passing car: "Why don't you get a car, hippy?"

wineandkeyz said:
This one was from my wife to the LBS salesperson as we're getting her new bike:

"Why don't they just put the padding on the seat, then we could wear whatever shorts we wanted?"

Shouted from a passing car: "Why don't you get a car, hippy?"

Another wife story: I bought my wife a used MTB off E-bay. She called me all excited and said she was un- boxing it. I worked late that night but remember doing some assembly when I got home.
I never rode the bike to test it. She was on it immediately in excitment.
She rode for a few days but complained that her feet scrubbed the front tire and the bike didn't feel just right.
A friend of mine came over and rode her bike ,just because he had never ridden that model. He found that the fork was backwards.
In my defense I never really paid that much attention to it and of course I fixed the problem immediately.
I was embarassed for 6 months until I bought another bike for her and she slipped and said " I can put it together. I did the last one".
It then occured to me she had assembled it backwards but was going to let me assume the embarassment. Women!
Of course that was several years back and she is bike savy now.

Now,about the day she went clipless,well, thats another story.

jhuskey said:
It then occured to me she had assembled it backwards but was going to let me assume the embarassment. Women!
Of course that was several years back and she is bike savy now.

Now,about the day she went clipless,well, thats another story.

LOL! Great story...

I have a clipless story, too. When we got my wife's bike (her first road bike), she was determined to get the whole package -- bike, shoes, clipless pedals, etc. I recommended she wait on the pedals, to use platforms until she got used to everything else. But she insisted, and the salesperson was on her side. :rolleyes:

Over the next week, she fell several times trying to get clipped out, but it was usually in our driveway or wherever, nothing dangerous. Then we went on a ride and had to stop in the center, left-turn lane. She clipped out her left foot, and fell over to the right -- into the lane for traffic that was going straight! Luckily there were no cars coming, so the only thing injured was her pride. But when we got going again, she said, "Would you take these things (the clipless pedals) off when we get home?"