Stupid questions to ask a cyclist #137653

Trevor Barton wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 08:53:12 -0000, Colin Blackburn wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 07:58:12 +0000, David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> The pictures are great, I'm surprised you had time to put them up.
>>
>> Yes, especially this one:
>>
>> http://cuzzer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/france%20109.jpg
>
> Now, looking at that bike I have to ask myself: Does the bike stand on, or hang from, the spokes?
> This picture clearly shows that neither is true - spokes aren't actually required at all. Beat
> that with your fancy mechie FE analyses.
>
> I'll get back under me bridge ...
>
> Trev

It always bugs me that artistic representations of bikes always get it wrong, the spokes I can
accept, when a bike is moving you can't see that spokes, but why is the chain missing the top
derailleur pulley?

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

AndyMorris wrote:

> It always bugs me that artistic representations of bikes always get it wrong, the spokes I can
> accept, when a bike is moving you can't see that spokes, but why is the chain missing the top
> derailleur pulley?

Its clearly not a derailleur but single speed with a singulator as there are no shift levers - or
brakes for that matter ;-)

Tony

"Ric" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Surely the most irritating question for a cyclist is "don't you have a
car?"

How about "do you know where the nearest petrol station is?" which I was asked in London recently.
Of course I don't, I'm on a bike, dummy!

Simon

Ric wrote:
> Surely the most irritating question for a cyclist is "don't you have a car?"

Nope - I reckon it's "Did you get wet?" when arriving at work shortly after a torrential downpour.

What are they expecting me to say - "No, I'm a freakin' superhuman entity who magically repels water
and can dodge raindrops"?

:-/

Ric wrote:
> Surely the most irritating question for a cyclist is "don't you have a car?"

Nope - I reckon it's "Did you get wet?" when arriving at work shortly after a torrential downpour.

What are they expecting me to say - "No, I'm a freakin' superhuman entity who magically repels water
and can dodge raindrops"?

:-/

[email protected] (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Glad to see you back, Becka.
>
> If you pin the pr*t down, I'll commit the GBH ;-)
>
> Cheers, helen s

Nice to see you haven't changed then helen ;-)

becka

"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<bq3396$bi9
> I bet you never heard them paying *road tax* and insurance either and had you planned your route
> better you'd probably have been able to use a cycle track that they provided at great expense for
> you too, selfish sod!

oh don't even get me started :O):O):O)!!

Becka

[email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message

> Welcome back, Becca. It's crazy out there, isn't it? I've given up trying to be nice to following
> motor vehicles. Three times lately I've politely pulled off the road to allow a thundering lorry
> to pass, only to have it turn into a side entrance just behind me. I also _used_to_ move
> considerately out of the bus lane into the main carriageway rather than delay a bus. Three weeks
> or so ago a bus then pulled out of the bus lane to squeeze past me in the main carriageway then
> pulled back into the bus lane.

Thanks Dave. And yep it is a crazy crazy world out there. Ho hum, only a few months before it gets
lighter again!!!!

Becka

Simon Geller wrote:
> "Ric" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Surely the most irritating question for a cyclist is "don't you have a
>
> car?"
>
> How about "do you know where the nearest petrol station is?" which I was asked in London recently.
> Of course I don't, I'm on a bike, dummy!
>
> Simon

How about the petrol station staff asking "Any petrol?" when your standing in front of them wearing
lycra and a cycle helmet.

Ivor Cave

Simon Geller wrote:
> "Ric" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Surely the most irritating question for a cyclist is "don't you have a
>
> car?"
>
> How about "do you know where the nearest petrol station is?" which I was asked in London recently.
> Of course I don't, I'm on a bike, dummy!
>
> Simon

How about the petrol station staff asking "Any petrol?" when your standing in front of them wearing
lycra and a cycle helmet.

Ivor Cave

"Russell Fulker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ric wrote:
> > Surely the most irritating question for a cyclist is "don't you have a
car?"

> Nope - I reckon it's "Did you get wet?" when arriving at work shortly after a torrential downpour.
>
> What are they expecting me to say - "No, I'm a freakin' superhuman entity who magically repels
> water and can dodge raindrops"?
>
> :-/

I agree, that IS the most irritating question. My responses are varied:

"No, you know that where each raindrop falls is completely random? well, by amazing chance, not one
fell on me during the whole 7 miles."

or

"No, I just ****** myself."

My all time favourite however, was given by an ex colleague of mine. When asked the question by her
boss, she responded with, "Good heavens! I enjoy cycling, but I don't get THAT excited!" The poor
bloke just stood there looking at her for a while and then disappeared into his office and was not
seen again all day.
:)

Cheerful pedalling John Mallard

"Ivor Cave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> How about the petrol station staff asking "Any petrol?" when your standing in front of them
> wearing lycra and a cycle helmet.

We tend to get petrol for the lawnmower, camping stove, etc by bike - strap the can to the back
rack, pull up to the pump and fill up just like a motorbike. Disappointingly nobody seems to bat
an eyelid...

cheers, clive