Stupid stem question

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by John Santos, May 14, 2003.

  1. John Santos

    John Santos Guest

    I'm looking at replacing my stem, but I don't know what the "length" is. Is it from the end of one
    clamp to another or the inside length between the clamps?

    While I'm on that, what are good suggestions for stems? I'm short (5'3"), ride a KHS A-Lite 2000
    (15"), and want a shorter, no-rise stem. The one I have right now is either 80mm (inside) or 140mm
    (clamp-to-clamp). I know this limits my options, but the sub-$50US range would be preferable.

    Ahhh, the life of a poor student... Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "John Santos" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking at replacing my stem, but I don't know what the "length" is. Is it from the end of one
    > clamp to another or the inside length between the clamps?
    >
    > While I'm on that, what are good suggestions for stems? I'm short (5'3"), ride a KHS A-Lite 2000
    > (15"), and want a shorter, no-rise stem. The one I have right now is either 80mm (inside) or 140mm
    > (clamp-to-clamp). I know this limits my options, but the sub-$50US range would be preferable.
    >
    > Ahhh, the life of a poor student... Thanks

    Anytime you're measuring between two points that have a hole (1 or 2, doesn't matter), you measure
    from/to the center of the hole(s).
    --
    Slacker

  3. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "John Santos" <[email protected]lanet.net> wrote:

    >I'm looking at replacing my stem, but I don't know what the "length" is. Is it from the end of one
    >clamp to another or the inside length between the clamps?
    >
    >While I'm on that, what are good suggestions for stems? I'm short (5'3"), ride a KHS A-Lite 2000
    >(15"), and want a shorter, no-rise stem. The one I have right now is either 80mm (inside) or 140mm
    >(clamp-to-clamp). I know this limits my options, but the sub-$50US range would be preferable.

    You measure from the center of each clamp (the center of the top cap to the center of the
    handlebars) along the length of the extension.

    Here's a tool that will help you visualize where the bars will end up with different length /
    rise stems.

    http://www.habcycles.com/fitting.html

  4. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "John Santos" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking at replacing my stem, but I don't know what the "length" is. Is it from the end of one
    > clamp to another or the inside length between the clamps?
    >
    > While I'm on that, what are good suggestions for stems? I'm short (5'3"), ride a KHS A-Lite 2000
    > (15"), and want a shorter, no-rise stem. The one I have right now is either 80mm (inside) or 140mm
    > (clamp-to-clamp). I know this limits my options, but the sub-$50US range would be preferable.
    >
    > Ahhh, the life of a poor student... Thanks

    Forgot to mention a good website for stupid cheap stems......
    http://cambriabike.com/SALE/stem/index.htm

    I'm not sure, but you may have to go with a DH stem if you want to go under 75mm. Check out the
    Kooka and Kore stems. They both come in really short lengths. I believe Kore has gone belly up, but
    supposedly they made pretty good stuff.

    --
    Slacker

  5. John Santos

    John Santos Guest

    Thanks for all the help so far. I'm mostly looking to bringing the stem down, so would it be safe to
    just invert the stem?

  6. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "John Santos" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks for all the help so far. I'm mostly looking to bringing the stem down, so would it be safe
    > to just invert the stem?

    Safe ..... sure, just as long as you have good health insurance and your last will &
    testament made out!

    In other words, don't even think about it.

    What exactly are you using now and what problems are experiencing?
    --
    Slacker

  7. John Santos

    John Santos Guest

    I'm Kore-Lite 100mm, 10mm rise. My problem is that my bike used to be my dad's and is a tad bit too
    big for me. I have 2" of standover, but my by seat has to come down a bit from the optimum height in
    relation to the bars. I moved down the stem as far as the spacers would let me, but my ass is still
    about a cm below the bars. Problem: wrist gets sore on longer rides because it's bent too much from
    the seat height.

    And that's why I'm looking at a 0-rise stem. Flat bars would be nice but I don't have the $$.

    BTW, thanks for preventing a rise in insurance premiums.

    "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "John Santos" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Thanks for all the help so far. I'm mostly looking to bringing the stem down, so would it be
    > > safe to
    just
    > > invert the stem?
    >

    > Safe ..... sure, just as long as you have good health insurance and your
    last will & testament made out!

    > In other words, don't even think about it.
    >

    > What exactly are you using now and what problems are experiencing?
    > --
    > Slacker

  8. John Santos

    John Santos Guest

    I think that it's a mix between the bent position of my wrists and the length - I commute to school
    regularly with my 30lb sack of books on my beater (which is a little small) and my wrists feel fine.

    I'm gonna look around for a 80mm stem, 0 rise and try that and if it doesn't work, I guess I'll have
    to face the inevitable.

    Thanks for all the help again, John