STUPID UNNECESSARY VEHICLES

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Don Quijote, Apr 3, 2003.

  1. Don Quijote

    Don Quijote Guest

    STUPID UNNECESSARY VEHICLES

    This is an interview with Brutus Maximus, who drives an SUV...

    Reporter: What do you need that for?

    Brutus: I wanna be noticed...

    Reporter: Do you realize that you threaten the environment, others on the road as well as make wars
    for oil necessary?

    Brutus: Listen, I pay taxes so I don't care. Besides the war makes a nice TV show. It goes well
    with beer...

    Reporter: What do you think of a place like Holland where people get around by bicycle?

    Brutus: I take my bicycles in the back of my SUV, so what's the point?

    Reporter: What do you do with your spare time?

    Brutus: I drive the SUV...

    Reporter: Do you ever read?

    Brutus: Nah, I don't like to waste my time...

    Reporter: What do you think of the future of the world?

    Brutus: I never think about it...

    Reporter: Why do you fly an oversized American flag on your vehicle?

    Brutus: It makes me feel like a patriot...

    Reporter: Do you know that the whole world opposes the war?

    Brutus: Remember, they are a bunch of anti-Americans losers...

    Reporter: Any message for the troops?

    Brutus: Yeah, I want more shots of the Hummers hunting the enemy. Hit 'em hard!God Bless America!!!

    http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

    Tags:

  2. On 3 Apr 2003 13:48:20 -0800, [email protected] (Don Quijote) wrote:

    <snipped same old, subject, spammed widely as possible>

    SUV shit, already. Or keep it to an automobile forum.

    With the war threads, we have more than enough off-topic traffic already.

    --
    Instead of weaving, I should have been reloading (remove _NO_SPAM_ to reply)

    98 FLTRI 83 Nighthawk

    eBay "About Me" page: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/xidos_canada/ Share yourself:
    http://xidos.ca/XManager/ReekyLogin.asp Bike videos: http://xidos.ca/VideoView.asp Home page:
    http://xidos.ca/scripts/Personal/ Alaska trip: http://xidos.ca/scripts/Personal/Alaska/ FLT Tech
    Info: http://xidos.ca/scripts/Personal/Bikes/tech.html

  3. IleneDover

    IleneDover Guest

    Can we assume you do not use any gasoline?

    mike hunt

    Don Quijote wrote:

    > STUPID UNNECESSARY VEHICLES
    >
    > This is an interview with Brutus Maximus, who drives an SUV...
    >
    > Reporter: What do you need that for?
    >
    > Brutus: I wanna be noticed...
    >
    > Reporter: Do you realize that you threaten the environment, others on the road as well as make
    > wars for oil necessary?
    >
    > Brutus: Listen, I pay taxes so I don't care. Besides the war makes a nice TV show. It goes well
    > with beer...
    >
    > Reporter: What do you think of a place like Holland where people get around by bicycle?
    >
    > Brutus: I take my bicycles in the back of my SUV, so what's the point?
    >
    > Reporter: What do you do with your spare time?
    >
    > Brutus: I drive the SUV...
    >
    > Reporter: Do you ever read?
    >
    > Brutus: Nah, I don't like to waste my time...
    >
    > Reporter: What do you think of the future of the world?
    >
    > Brutus: I never think about it...
    >
    > Reporter: Why do you fly an oversized American flag on your vehicle?
    >
    > Brutus: It makes me feel like a patriot...
    >
    > Reporter: Do you know that the whole world opposes the war?
    >
    > Brutus: Remember, they are a bunch of anti-Americans losers...
    >
    > Reporter: Any message for the troops?
    >
    > Brutus: Yeah, I want more shots of the Hummers hunting the enemy. Hit 'em hard!God Bless
    > America!!!
    >
    > http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

  4. >From: [email protected]y.com

    >Can we assume you do not use any gasoline?
    >

    >mike hunt

    Don't be a fool. Everyone "uses" gasoline. What's at issue is the gross squandering of resources.

    George F. Johnson A veteran for peace

  5. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    You got it wrong. They're not all that unecessary, to anyone, at all times. But they are Stupid
    Urban Vehicles.

    "Don Quijote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > STUPID UNNECESSARY VEHICLES
    >
    > This is an interview with Brutus Maximus, who drives an SUV...
    >
    > Reporter: What do you need that for?
    >
    > Brutus: I wanna be noticed...
    >
    > Reporter: Do you realize that you threaten the environment, others on the road as well as make
    > wars for oil necessary?
    >
    > Brutus: Listen, I pay taxes so I don't care. Besides the war makes a nice TV show. It goes well
    > with beer...
    >
    > Reporter: What do you think of a place like Holland where people get around by bicycle?
    >
    > Brutus: I take my bicycles in the back of my SUV, so what's the point?
    >
    > Reporter: What do you do with your spare time?
    >
    > Brutus: I drive the SUV...
    >
    > Reporter: Do you ever read?
    >
    > Brutus: Nah, I don't like to waste my time...
    >
    > Reporter: What do you think of the future of the world?
    >
    > Brutus: I never think about it...
    >
    > Reporter: Why do you fly an oversized American flag on your vehicle?
    >
    > Brutus: It makes me feel like a patriot...
    >
    > Reporter: Do you know that the whole world opposes the war?
    >
    > Brutus: Remember, they are a bunch of anti-Americans losers...
    >
    > Reporter: Any message for the troops?
    >
    > Brutus: Yeah, I want more shots of the Hummers hunting the enemy. Hit 'em hard!God Bless
    > America!!!
    >
    > http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

  6. Josho

    Josho Guest

    Horse hockey.

    I drive an SUV. It's a Ford Explorer bought in 1993.

    No, I don't do much offroading in it -- although I did back when I first bought it and was living in
    the mountains. I've moved cross-country 3 times since then, with this thing loaded to the gills.

    I keep it tuned, I keep the tires properly inflated, I stick close to speed limits, and because I
    bought it in California, it has the standard California emissions package.

    It gets 22 mpg. Is that great? Nope, but it's BETTER gas mileage than probably 50% of the cars on
    road right now. Many non-SUV domestic autos get less than that. So do most *older* cars and most
    large sedans and towncars.

    Not all SUVs are gas-suckers the way they're portrayed to be, and as an SUV owner, I resent being
    tarred with the same brush that all SUV owners are. It's as inaccurate a prejudice as any other.
    While everyone's crowing about how awful SUVs (and their owners) are, there are far more inefficient
    vehicles driving around that, because they look like traditional passenger cars, receive no flack
    whatsoever.

    --Josh

    On 3 Apr 2003 13:48:20 -0800, [email protected] (Don Quijote) wrote:

    >STUPID UNNECESSARY VEHICLES
    >
    >This is an interview with Brutus Maximus, who drives an SUV...
    >
    >Reporter: What do you need that for?
    >
    >Brutus: I wanna be noticed...
    >
    >Reporter: Do you realize that you threaten the environment, others on the road as well as make wars
    >for oil necessary?
    >
    >Brutus: Listen, I pay taxes so I don't care. Besides the war makes a nice TV show. It goes well
    >with beer...
    >
    >Reporter: What do you think of a place like Holland where people get around by bicycle?
    >
    >Brutus: I take my bicycles in the back of my SUV, so what's the point?
    >
    >Reporter: What do you do with your spare time?
    >
    >Brutus: I drive the SUV...
    >
    >Reporter: Do you ever read?
    >
    >Brutus: Nah, I don't like to waste my time...
    >
    >Reporter: What do you think of the future of the world?
    >
    >Brutus: I never think about it...
    >
    >Reporter: Why do you fly an oversized American flag on your vehicle?
    >
    >Brutus: It makes me feel like a patriot...
    >
    >Reporter: Do you know that the whole world opposes the war?
    >
    >Brutus: Remember, they are a bunch of anti-Americans losers...
    >
    >Reporter: Any message for the troops?
    >
    >Brutus: Yeah, I want more shots of the Hummers hunting the enemy. Hit 'em hard!God Bless America!!!
    >
    >http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

  7. >It gets 22 mpg. Is that great? Nope, but it's BETTER gas mileage than probably 50% of the cars on
    >road right now.

    If I only got 22mpg from a car I'd be appalled! I get about 50mpg from my current vehicle. Then
    again, being in Europe, we've possibly got more emphasis on economical to run motors than on t'other
    side of the pond.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  8. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >It gets 22 mpg. Is that great? Nope, but it's BETTER gas mileage than probably 50% of the cars on
    >road right now. Many non-SUV domestic autos get less than that. So do most *older* cars and most
    >large sedans and towncars.

    Actually the CAFE fuel mileage for "cars" is about 27mpg.

    >While everyone's crowing about how awful SUVs (and their owners) are, there are far more
    >inefficient vehicles driving around that, because they look like traditional passenger cars,
    >receive no flack whatsoever.

    Traditional cars on the average get better mileage and pollute less. Bicycles of course are
    even better.

    Apparently until recently SUVs were allowed to pollute about 3 times as much as a standard car. A
    silly situation.

    The right tool for the job. If one really needs a large PU truck or SUV to do what they need to do,
    then I say go for it.

    But the bottom line is that SUVs are "loophole" machines, they slip through pollution, economy and
    safety loopholes that ought to be plugged.

    jon isaacs

  9. W K

    W K Guest

    > >It gets 22 mpg. Is that great? Nope, but it's BETTER gas mileage than probably 50% of the cars on
    > >road right now.
    >
    > If I only got 22mpg from a car I'd be appalled! I get about 50mpg from my current vehicle. Then
    > again, being in Europe, we've possibly got more
    emphasis
    > on economical to run motors than on t'other side of the pond.

    Do you really? In that upright boxy thing? Do you actually measure? Remember your gallon is
    about 20% more.

    I get less than that but what do you expect doing 85mph with a tandem on the roof.

  10. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > >It gets 22 mpg. Is that great? Nope, but it's BETTER gas mileage than probably 50% of the cars
    > > >on road right now.
    > >
    > > If I only got 22mpg from a car I'd be appalled! I get about 50mpg from
    my
    > > current vehicle. Then again, being in Europe, we've possibly got more
    > emphasis
    > > on economical to run motors than on t'other side of the pond.
    >
    > Do you really? In that upright boxy thing? Do you actually measure? Remember your gallon is about
    > 20% more.
    >
    > I get less than that but what do you expect doing 85mph with a tandem on
    the
    > roof.

    ... probably using any and every lane as passing lanes ...

  11. W K

    W K Guest

    "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "W K"

    > > I get less than that but what do you expect doing 85mph with a tandem on
    > the
    > > roof.
    >
    > ... probably using any and every lane as passing lanes ...

    What makes you say that? I wasn't in the passing lane as I was being passed on the whole.

    Had I got an engine larger than 1300 cc I'd probably go faster, and perhaps get less than 40 mpg.

  12. Archer

    Archer Guest

    > "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > >It gets 22 mpg. Is that great? Nope, but it's BETTER gas mileage than probably 50% of the cars
    > > >on road right now.
    > >
    > > If I only got 22mpg from a car I'd be appalled! I get about 50mpg from my current vehicle. Then
    > > again, being in Europe, we've possibly got more
    > emphasis
    > > on economical to run motors than on t'other side of the pond.
    >
    > Do you really? In that upright boxy thing? Do you actually measure? Remember your gallon is about
    > 20% more.

    In my 1984 Escort Diesel, I was still getting a measured 55 mpg on the highway at 60 mph when it had
    more than 100,000 miles. When it was new, it got around 58 mpg. Commuting back and forth to work
    (only 12 mi each way, so it was seldom fully warmed up) I averaged between 40 and 45 mpg.

    it's morning".

  13. MajorDomo

    MajorDomo Guest

    Isn't it strange that all the people that can afford to buy an SUV never seem to complain they are
    unnecessary? Only those that can't afford one seem to think they are unnecessary. Let them vent if
    it keeps them from going nuts, after all there is nothing they can do to stop people from buying
    what they want. LOL

    mike hunt

    Robin Hubert wrote:

    > You got it wrong. They're not all that unecessary, to anyone, at all times. But they are Stupid
    > Urban Vehicles.
    >
    > "Don Quijote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > STUPID UNNECESSARY VEHICLES
    > >
    > > This is an interview with Brutus Maximus, who drives an SUV...
    > >
    > > Reporter: What do you need that for?
    > >
    > > Brutus: I wanna be noticed...
    > >
    > > Reporter: Do you realize that you threaten the environment, others on the road as well as make
    > > wars for oil necessary?
    > >
    > > Brutus: Listen, I pay taxes so I don't care. Besides the war makes a nice TV show. It goes well
    > > with beer...
    > >
    > > Reporter: What do you think of a place like Holland where people get around by bicycle?
    > >
    > > Brutus: I take my bicycles in the back of my SUV, so what's the point?
    > >
    > > Reporter: What do you do with your spare time?
    > >
    > > Brutus: I drive the SUV...
    > >
    > > Reporter: Do you ever read?
    > >
    > > Brutus: Nah, I don't like to waste my time...
    > >
    > > Reporter: What do you think of the future of the world?
    > >
    > > Brutus: I never think about it...
    > >
    > > Reporter: Why do you fly an oversized American flag on your vehicle?
    > >
    > > Brutus: It makes me feel like a patriot...
    > >
    > > Reporter: Do you know that the whole world opposes the war?
    > >
    > > Brutus: Remember, they are a bunch of anti-Americans losers...
    > >
    > > Reporter: Any message for the troops?
    > >
    > > Brutus: Yeah, I want more shots of the Hummers hunting the enemy. Hit 'em hard!God Bless
    > > America!!!
    > >
    > > http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

  14. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I can easily afford one. Instead, I bought a Saab 9-3 Viggen. I still think SUVs are idiotic for the
    vast majority of people (and I own an older Jeep SUV).

    --
    Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

    > Isn't it strange that all the people that can afford to buy an SUV never seem to complain they are
    > unnecessary? Only those that can't afford one seem to think they are unnecessary. Let them vent if
    > it keeps them from going nuts, after all there is nothing they can do to stop people from buying
    > what they want. LOL
    >

    > mike hunt
    >

    > Robin Hubert wrote:
    > >
    > > You got it wrong. They're not all that unecessary, to anyone, at all
    times.
    > > But they are Stupid Urban Vehicles.
    > >
    > > "Don Quijote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > STUPID UNNECESSARY VEHICLES
    > > >
    > > > This is an interview with Brutus Maximus, who drives an SUV...
    > > >
    > > > Reporter: What do you need that for?
    > > >
    > > > Brutus: I wanna be noticed...
    > > >
    > > > Reporter: Do you realize that you threaten the environment, others on the road as well as make
    > > > wars for oil necessary?
    > > >
    > > > Brutus: Listen, I pay taxes so I don't care. Besides the war makes a nice TV show. It goes
    > > > well with beer...
    > > >
    > > > Reporter: What do you think of a place like Holland where people get around by bicycle?
    > > >
    > > > Brutus: I take my bicycles in the back of my SUV, so what's the point?
    > > >
    > > > Reporter: What do you do with your spare time?
    > > >
    > > > Brutus: I drive the SUV...
    > > >
    > > > Reporter: Do you ever read?
    > > >
    > > > Brutus: Nah, I don't like to waste my time...
    > > >
    > > > Reporter: What do you think of the future of the world?
    > > >
    > > > Brutus: I never think about it...
    > > >
    > > > Reporter: Why do you fly an oversized American flag on your vehicle?
    > > >
    > > > Brutus: It makes me feel like a patriot...
    > > >
    > > > Reporter: Do you know that the whole world opposes the war?
    > > >
    > > > Brutus: Remember, they are a bunch of anti-Americans losers...
    > > >
    > > > Reporter: Any message for the troops?
    > > >
    > > > Brutus: Yeah, I want more shots of the Hummers hunting the enemy. Hit 'em hard!God Bless
    > > > America!!!
    > > >
    > > > http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

  15. Duran

    Duran Guest

    "Don Quijote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > STUPID UNNECESSARY VEHICLES

    Well, um, I need one for towing my trailer, so how could they be unnecessary...no SUV means I can't
    tow my trailer. Seems necessary to me!

    Your entire post has me convinced you lack even a grade-school education.

  16. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > But the bottom line is that SUVs are "loophole" machines,
    they slip through
    > pollution, economy and safety loopholes that ought to be
    plugged.

    What's worse is the tax loophole which allows commercial truck depreciation schedules for
    Lincoln Navigators and the like. For a business owner who needs a late model luxury car, it's
    actually much cheaper to drive a $50k, 12mpg, oversized SUV, than a $35k, 25mpg luxury
    automobile. This is perverse.

    Matt O.

  17. Duran

    Duran Guest

    > I drive an SUV. It's a Ford Explorer bought in 1993.
    >
    > No, I don't do much offroading in it -- although I did back when I first bought it and was
    > living in the mountains. I've moved cross-country 3 times since then, with this thing loaded to
    > the gills.
    >
    > I keep it tuned, I keep the tires properly inflated, I stick close to speed limits, and because I
    > bought it in California, it has the standard California emissions package.
    >
    > It gets 22 mpg. Is that great? Nope, but it's BETTER gas mileage than probably 50% of the cars on
    > road right now. Many non-SUV domestic autos get less than that. So do most *older* cars and most
    > large sedans and towncars.
    >
    > Not all SUVs are gas-suckers the way they're portrayed to be, and as an SUV owner, I resent being
    > tarred with the same brush that all SUV owners are. It's as inaccurate a prejudice as any other.
    > While everyone's crowing about how awful SUVs (and their owners) are, there are far more
    > inefficient vehicles driving around that, because they look like traditional passenger cars,
    > receive no flack whatsoever.
    >
    > --Josh

    Exactly! This is exactly the point I have been trying to make in the past. I also keep my SUV tuned
    and maintained very well. It is as efficient as it can be. I use my SUV for towing as well, so
    until these folks can explain to me how I tow my trailer without my SUV, they don't have an
    argument at all.

    To add to your post, I own an SUV that gets slightly worse gas milage than you, however, I work at
    home and don't drive my SUV anywhere near as much as the great majority of American's drive their
    cars everyday. So, to "these people" like the original poster, I am a resource waster because I own
    an SUV even though I use half the amount of gas the majority of so-called efficient car owners use
    in a year. Makes perfect sense to me!

    I think the anti-SUV extremist crowd needs to back to school and take the following courses over and
    over again: Math, Statistics, and well you are at it, throw in Probability as well.

  18. Don Quijote

    Don Quijote Guest

  19. Don Quijote

    Don Quijote Guest

    "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > You got it wrong. They're not all that unecessary, to anyone, at all times. But they are Stupid
    > Urban Vehicles.

    OK, I grant you that. But let me tell you 'genuine use' doesn't take the size of a Ford Excursion or
    an automatic transmission for that matter.

  20. On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Frank Krygowski wrote:

    > I've towed our camping trailer to both coasts more than once. No SUV needed. Perhaps your trailer
    > is also bloated?

    Perhaps your needs and wants differ from other people's.

    DS