STUPID UNNECESSARY VEHICLES

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Don Quijote, Apr 3, 2003.

  1. Duran wrote:

    > Well, um, I need one for towing my trailer, so how could they be unnecessary...no SUV means I
    > can't tow my trailer. Seems necessary to me!

    What kind of trailer?

    I've towed our camping trailer to both coasts more than once. No SUV needed. Perhaps your trailer is
    also bloated?

    --
    Frank Krygowski [email protected]

  2. Rayvan

    Rayvan Guest

    [email protected] (Josho) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Horse hockey.
    >
    > I drive an SUV. It's a Ford Explorer bought in 1993.
    >
    > No, I don't do much offroading in it -- although I did back when I first bought it and was
    > living in the mountains. I've moved cross-country 3 times since then, with this thing loaded to
    > the gills.
    >
    > I keep it tuned, I keep the tires properly inflated, I stick close to speed limits, and because I
    > bought it in California, it has the standard California emissions package.
    >
    > It gets 22 mpg. Is that great? Nope, but it's BETTER gas mileage than probably 50% of the cars on
    > road right now. Many non-SUV domestic autos get less than that. So do most *older* cars and most
    > large sedans and towncars.

    FWIW, drive what you want. It's a free country, however, you shouldn't compare your freeway mileage
    with the town mileage of those cars. It's misleading.

    Your 22 has to be freeway mileage. No way you get that in town. Explorers routinely get 16 in town.
    Most modern cars, even the V8 domestic Firebird/z28 and Corvette or the Ford Crown Victoria get
    nearly 30 on the freeway. 18 in town. Other v6 powered cars are 22 town, 32 fwy.

    Again, drive what you want, but don't mislead people. They're smarter than you think they are...

    Rayvan

  3. [email protected] wrote:

    > Isn't it strange that all the people that can afford to buy an SUV never seem to complain they are
    > unnecessary?

    What on _earth_ makes you think I can't afford one??

    --
    Frank Krygowski [email protected]

  4. Duran

    Duran Guest

    > Duran wrote:
    > >
    > > Well, um, I need one for towing my trailer, so how could they be unnecessary...no SUV means I
    > > can't tow my trailer. Seems necessary to me!
    >
    > What kind of trailer?
    >
    > I've towed our camping trailer to both coasts more than once. No SUV needed. Perhaps your trailer
    > is also bloated?

    It is a (roughly) 38' by 8.5' enclosed trailer that I need for my business. There is no way
    anything other than an SUV will tow that! It has its own brakes, and sometimes even my SUV can be
    weak towing it.

  5. "Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | [email protected] wrote:
    | >
    | > Isn't it strange that all the people that can afford to buy an SUV never seem to complain they
    | > are unnecessary?
    |
    | What on _earth_ makes you think I can't afford one??

    Well, the fact that you have stated that you sold a car to take a vacation could support that
    assumption.

  6. Josho

    Josho Guest

    Rayvan,

    I do the vast majority of my driving in town (Albany, NY to be exact). Very little highway driving.

    I have no doubt that there are Explorers out there that get 16 MPG, or worse. I would maintain that
    these machines are poorly driven and/or poorly maintained. Good driving technique and careful
    attention to maintenance make a difference (as I've found myself).

    Moreover, my point remains as valid as before: there are PLENTY of passenger vehicles out there
    that get mileage inferior to SUVs. Granted, these are (as I said) mostly domestic automobiles, but
    in Consumer Reports' recent auto issue, I went through and made note of all the models of *cars*
    that get mileage inferior to mine. There were quite a few. Yet I don't see people haranguing owners
    of poorly-maintained, poorly-driven cars for the resources THEY waste because they can't be
    bothered to keep their tires inflated, to slow down, to stop their leadfoot habits, and to keep
    their engines in tune.

    --Josh

    On 4 Apr 2003 13:38:43 -0800, [email protected] (Rayvan) wrote:

    >[email protected] (Josho) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Horse hockey.
    >>
    >> I drive an SUV. It's a Ford Explorer bought in 1993.
    >>
    >> No, I don't do much offroading in it -- although I did back when I first bought it and was
    >> living in the mountains. I've moved cross-country 3 times since then, with this thing loaded to
    >> the gills.
    >>
    >> I keep it tuned, I keep the tires properly inflated, I stick close to speed limits, and because I
    >> bought it in California, it has the standard California emissions package.
    >>
    >> It gets 22 mpg. Is that great? Nope, but it's BETTER gas mileage than probably 50% of the cars on
    >> road right now. Many non-SUV domestic autos get less than that. So do most *older* cars and most
    >> large sedans and towncars.
    >
    >FWIW, drive what you want. It's a free country, however, you shouldn't compare your freeway mileage
    >with the town mileage of those cars. It's misleading.
    >
    >Your 22 has to be freeway mileage. No way you get that in town. Explorers routinely get 16 in town.
    >Most modern cars, even the V8 domestic Firebird/z28 and Corvette or the Ford Crown Victoria get
    >nearly 30 on the freeway. 18 in town. Other v6 powered cars are 22 town, 32 fwy.
    >
    >Again, drive what you want, but don't mislead people. They're smarter than you think they are...
    >
    >Rayvan

  7. Bill

    Bill Guest

    You don't need an SUV. You need a 1 ton diesel pickup with dualies. Under sized tow vehicles are
    unsafe. Bill ;-)

    "Duran" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Duran wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Well, um, I need one for towing my trailer, so how could they be unnecessary...no SUV means I
    > > > can't tow my trailer. Seems necessary to me!
    > >
    > > What kind of trailer?
    > >
    > > I've towed our camping trailer to both coasts more than once. No SUV needed. Perhaps your
    > > trailer is also bloated?
    >
    > It is a (roughly) 38' by 8.5' enclosed trailer that I need for my
    business.
    > There is no way anything other than an SUV will tow that! It has its own brakes, and sometimes
    > even my SUV can be weak towing it.

  8. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I can easily afford one. Instead, I bought a Saab 9-3 Viggen. I still think SUVs are idiotic for
    > the vast majority of people (and I own an older Jeep SUV).

    I wish I owned a Saab Viggen, or a Mazda RX8, or a Nissan 350Z, AND a Jeep Scrambler, AND an
    Aprilia, but I'm stuck with my F150 until its paid off...

    I'm in agreement that SUVs are not the best vehicle for a lot of people, but I do believe that we
    all have the right to choose whether or not we "need" one.

    I also think that as far as vehicles go, they're going to become less popular here soon. As people
    realize that they don't need to drive something quite as big as they are now, they'll start trading
    down in size. The guys that keep towing trailers, driving off-road, etc. are still going to have the
    big trucks, but soccer moms and yuppies are probably going to find a new trend soon.

    > --
    > Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

    > > Isn't it strange that all the people that can afford to buy an SUV never seem to complain they
    > > are unnecessary? Only those that can't afford one seem to think they are unnecessary. Let them
    > > vent if it keeps them from going nuts, after all there is nothing they can do to stop people
    > > from buying what they want. LOL
    > >

    > > mike hunt
    > >

    > > Robin Hubert wrote:
    > > >
    > > > You got it wrong. They're not all that unecessary, to anyone, at all
    > times.
    > > > But they are Stupid Urban Vehicles.
    > > >
    > > > "Don Quijote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    Hit

  9. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    > Isn't it strange that all the people that can afford to buy an SUV never seem to complain they are
    > unnecessary? Only those that can't afford one seem to think they are unnecessary. Let them vent if
    > it keeps them from going nuts, after all there is nothing they can do to stop people from buying
    > what they want. LOL

    I could buy an SUV, but I won't. And I didn't call them "unnecessary". I called them "stupid", as in
    "Stupid Urban Vehicles".

  10. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "archer" <[email protected]_hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > If I only got 22mpg from a car I'd be appalled! I get about 50mpg from
    my
    > > > current vehicle. Then again, being in Europe, we've possibly got more
    > > emphasis
    > > > on economical to run motors than on t'other side of the pond.
    > >
    > > Do you really? In that upright boxy thing? Do you actually measure? Remember your gallon is
    > > about 20% more.
    >
    > In my 1984 Escort Diesel, I was still getting a measured 55 mpg on the highway at 60 mph when it
    > had more than 100,000 miles. When it was new, it got around 58 mpg. Commuting back and forth to
    > work (only 12 mi each way, so it was seldom fully warmed up) I averaged between 40 and 45 mpg.

    But who would want to drive that thing? I understand the early Escorts were kinda crappy. How would
    you rate your "incidence of repairs" on that car?

  11. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "W K"
    >
    > > > I get less than that but what do you expect doing 85mph with a tandem
    on
    > > the
    > > > roof.
    > >
    > > ... probably using any and every lane as passing lanes ...
    >
    > What makes you say that? I wasn't in the passing lane as I was being passed on the whole.

    You were "being passed on the whole" at 85mph? You must be in So Ca. If you were driving that speed
    around here, you'd be one of the idiots diving in and out of any and every lane just to not slow
    down. I'm one of the maniacs you see driving the speed limit, signaling lane changes, not
    tailgaiting, not crowding merge lanes, etc. I'd probably be laughed off some roads.

    > Had I got an engine larger than 1300 cc I'd probably go faster, and
    perhaps
    > get less than 40 mpg.

    Sweet. I'd encourage you to try to drive the speed limit or less. My Camry (2.2L) gets about 35 on
    the highway (at 55-65mph, of course).

  12. Duran

    Duran Guest

    "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:f%[email protected]...
    > You don't need an SUV. You need a 1 ton diesel pickup with dualies. Under sized tow vehicles are
    > unsafe. Bill ;-)

    I know, trust me. I tow it with a Chevy Suburban that seems pretty much up to the task. I can't
    afford to purchase a new vehicle at all at the moment, but a 1 ton diesel dually pickup (Ford) is
    exactly what I had in mind. It would be nice indeed!

    Keep in mind I do not tow this trailer on the highway, it is only ever towed on extremely rural
    roads. Very rarely do I get the SUV/Trailer combo above 45 MPH.

  13. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Josho" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Now, if you're saying that many people buy SUVs ONLY for
    their image,
    > well, lots of people buy all kinds of cars for their
    image, whether or
    > not the car is actually tailored to their *needs.*
    Sportscars are
    > bought far more for their image than for most drivers'
    actual need of
    > that kind of performance. Sportscars get TERRIBLE mileage.
    But it's
    > not as in vogue to spit on sportscars as it is to spit on
    SUVs.

    > People who buy SUVs and have no use for their capacity are
    being
    > shamelessly wasteful. So are most sportscar owners. So is
    anyone is
    > who drives a car that's leaking or burning oil, or leaves
    twice as
    > much rubber on the road as they have to, or runs their AC
    more than
    > they need to, or regularly makes jackrabbit starts, or
    never seems to
    > care that there's a light up ahead they'll HAVE to stop
    for
    > eventually. People are at least as wasteful in their
    habits as in
    > their choices of vehicle.

    My Alfa GTV6 got 25-30mpg. My friend's Porsche 944 gets almost 40mpg on the highway. A Boxter gets
    in the mid-30s -- modern engine, light weight, low frontal area. My brother's Miata does well over
    30mpg too, as does a BMW
    Z3. Heck, even a new *Corvette* gets over 30mpg on the highway. Sure, a few Italian exotics
    and silly, overpowered pony cars guzzle gas like it's going out of style, but those
    aren't the norm.

    The trouble with an SUV is it's tremendous weight and barn door aerodynamics. There's no getting
    around that. So unless you need the load capacity or the ground clearance, an SUV is a terrible
    waste. Oh, about towing -- you can pull a hell of a load with a Crown Vic, ride in comfort, and get
    25mpg+ the rest of the time.

    > Maybe the MAJORITY of SUV owners don't need as much
    vehicle as they've
    > bought. But that's hardly a reason to prejudge all SUVs
    and SUV owners
    > as partners in some sort of unique environmental crime.

    You're right, no reason to prejudge all, only the majority you refer to.

    Matt O.

  14. W K

    W K Guest

    "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:v2sja.8977

    > "W K"

    > > What makes you say that? I wasn't in the passing lane as I was being passed on the whole.
    >
    > You were "being passed on the whole" at 85mph? You must be in So Ca.

    Nope. You haven't got a clue about where I drive.

    > Sweet. I'd encourage you to try to drive the speed limit or less. My Camry (2.2L) gets about 35 on
    > the highway (at 55-65mph, of course).

    Of course? They are designed to cruise at far higher speeds than that. I really cannot understand
    how you can be bothered driving anywhere at such a low speed. 85 mph IS the speed limit where I was
    talking about, and I still get better fuel consumption.

  15. Don Quijote

    Don Quijote Guest

    "Duran" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I drive an SUV. It's a Ford Explorer bought in 1993.
    > >
    > > No, I don't do much offroading in it -- although I did back when I first bought it and was
    > > living in the mountains. I've moved cross-country 3 times since then, with this thing loaded to
    > > the gills.
    > >
    > > I keep it tuned, I keep the tires properly inflated, I stick close to speed limits, and because
    > > I bought it in California, it has the standard California emissions package.
    > >
    > > It gets 22 mpg. Is that great? Nope, but it's BETTER gas mileage than probably 50% of the cars
    > > on road right now. Many non-SUV domestic autos get less than that. So do most *older* cars and
    > > most large sedans and towncars.
    > >
    > > Not all SUVs are gas-suckers the way they're portrayed to be, and as an SUV owner, I resent
    > > being tarred with the same brush that all SUV owners are. It's as inaccurate a prejudice as any
    > > other. While everyone's crowing about how awful SUVs (and their owners) are, there are far more
    > > inefficient vehicles driving around that, because they look like traditional passenger cars,
    > > receive no flack whatsoever.
    > >
    > > --Josh
    >
    > Exactly! This is exactly the point I have been trying to make in the past. I also keep my SUV
    > tuned and maintained very well. It is as efficient as it can be. I use my SUV for towing as well,
    > so until these folks can explain to me how I tow my trailer without my SUV, they don't have an
    > argument at all.
    >
    > To add to your post, I own an SUV that gets slightly worse gas milage than you, however, I work at
    > home and don't drive my SUV anywhere near as much as the great majority of American's drive their
    > cars everyday. So, to "these people" like the original poster, I am a resource waster because I
    > own an SUV even though I use half the amount of gas the majority of so-called efficient car owners
    > use in a year. Makes perfect sense to me!
    >
    > I think the anti-SUV extremist crowd needs to back to school and take the following courses over
    > and over again: Math, Statistics, and well you are at it, throw in Probability as well.

    I think not all SUVs are a 'pervertion' of a need for something different from a car, but most
    --perhaps the overwhelming majority-- are, as they are used for anything but towing. And that's a
    fact: It's plain, stupid status...

    http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

  16. Don Quijote

    Don Quijote Guest

    "Duran" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Don Quijote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > STUPID UNNECESSARY VEHICLES
    >
    > Well, um, I need one for towing my trailer, so how could they be unnecessary...no SUV means I
    > can't tow my trailer. Seems necessary to me!
    >
    > Your entire post has me convinced you lack even a grade-school education.

    Don't Europeans tow anything? Do you know that at the same time you push SUVs, small efficient
    options like turbo diesel stick Rovers do the job elsewhere?

    As for the school, I went through University (but stopped to study anything)... But anyways don't
    use 'ad-hominen' attacks...

    http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

  17. MikeHunt2

    MikeHunt2 Guest

    Don't you get it? I's not what you want or need or can afford, It is all about what other think you
    need and should buy. In any event what they think is immaterial. People will continue to buy what
    they want and all of the ranting in the NG will not make a bit of difference. That is what pisses
    him off as he chases HIS windmills. LOL

    mike hunt

    Duran wrote:

    > "Don Quijote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > STUPID UNNECESSARY VEHICLES
    >
    > Well, um, I need one for towing my trailer, so how could they be unnecessary...no SUV means I
    > can't tow my trailer. Seems necessary to me!
    >
    > Your entire post has me convinced you lack even a grade-school education.

  18. MikeHunt2

    MikeHunt2 Guest

    What a concept, buying the type of vehicle one wants! Why didn't you buy what someone else wanted
    your to buy?

    mike hunt

    Bob wrote:

    > I can easily afford one. Instead, I bought a Saab 9-3 Viggen. I still think SUVs are idiotic for
    > the vast majority of people (and I own an older Jeep SUV).
    >
    > --
    > Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

    > > Isn't it strange that all the people that can afford to buy an SUV never seem to complain they
    > > are unnecessary? Only those that can't afford one seem to think they are unnecessary. Let them
    > > vent if it keeps them from going nuts, after all there is nothing they can do to stop people
    > > from buying what they want. LOL
    > >

    > > mike hunt
    > >

    > > Robin Hubert wrote:
    > > >
    > > > You got it wrong. They're not all that unecessary, to anyone, at all
    > times.
    > > > But they are Stupid Urban Vehicles.
    > > >
    > > > "Don Quijote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

  19. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    > What a concept, buying the type of vehicle one wants! Why didn't you buy what someone else wanted
    > your to buy?

    That's funny. I'd be willing to wager there's a whole lot of (new) car buyers that buy what someone
    else (namely, the marketing guys) wanted them to buy. Think of SUVs for example.

    > mike hunt
    >
    > Bob wrote:
    > >
    > > I can easily afford one. Instead, I bought a Saab 9-3 Viggen. I still think SUVs are idiotic for
    > > the vast majority of people (and I own an
    older
    > > Jeep SUV).
    > >
    > > --
    > > Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com
    > >
    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Isn't it strange that all the people that can afford to buy an SUV never seem to complain they
    > > > are unnecessary? Only those that can't afford one seem to think they are unnecessary. Let them
    > > > vent if it keeps them from going nuts, after all there is nothing they can do to stop people
    > > > from buying what they want. LOL
    > > >

    > > > mike hunt

    > > times.

    Hit

  20. MikeHunt2

    MikeHunt2 Guest

    Are you including the Bozo that stated this tread in the comment?

    mike hunt