STUPID UNNECESSARY VEHICLES

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Don Quijote, Apr 3, 2003.

  1. MikeHunt2

    MikeHunt2 Guest

    One can only assume that if one needed an SUV, and could afford one, he would own one. I don't hear
    the people that can afford one and need one complaining. Do you? I would suggest those that don't
    want, need or cant' afford an SUV buy what you do want need and can afford.

    mike hunt

    Frank Krygowski wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > Isn't it strange that all the people that can afford to
    buy an SUV never seem to complain they are unnecessary? Only those that can't afford one seem to
    think they are unnecessary. Let them vent if it keeps them from going nuts, after all there is
    nothing they can do to stop people from buying what they want. LOL

    > --
    > Frank Krygowski [email protected]

  2. MikeHunt2

    MikeHunt2 Guest

    Isn't it nice that one can buy what they want in the good old USA? Be glad you have a choice,
    shouldn't everyone else as well?

    mike hunt

    Robin Hubert wrote:

    > > Isn't it strange that all the people that can afford to buy an SUV never seem to complain they
    > > are unnecessary? Only those that can't afford one seem to think they are unnecessary. Let them
    > > vent if it keeps them from going nuts, after all there is nothing they can do to stop people
    > > from buying what they want. LOL
    > >

    > I could buy an SUV, but I won't. And I didn't call them "unnecessary". I called them "stupid", as
    > in "Stupid Urban Vehicles".

  3. Josho

    Josho Guest

    Just for amusement, I made a list of passenger cars (no trucks, SUVs, or minivans) that get INFERIOR
    mileage to my SUV's mileage. The MPG estimates are based on CR's mix of real-world driving (some
    expressway, some country road, some city) and they didn't list mileage for models that they either
    hadn't tested recently or were too new for them to get a bigger picture. They also don't review
    sportscars very often, so many weren't on the bigger list.

    BTW, I also didn't include in this list those cars that must have premium gas, and therefore may
    have higher mileage but pollute more at the same time.

    I suggest we start spitting on these as soon as possible.

    Acura RL - 21 Audi A4 - 20 Audi A6 - 18 BMW 5 Series - 20 Buick LeSabre - 20 Buick Park Avenue - 21
    Cadillac DeVille - 19 Chevrolet Corvette - 21 Chevrolet Impala - 20 Chrysler 300M - 21 Chrysler PT
    Cruiser - 18 Chrysler Sebring - 21 Dodge Intrepid - 19 Dodge Stratus - 21 Ford Crown Victoria - 16
    Ford Taurus - 21 Ford Thunderbird - 17 Hyundai Sonata - 21 Hyundai XG350 - 19 Infiniti I35 - 20
    Jaguar S-Type - 20 Jaguar X-Type - 19 Lexus ES300 - 21 Lexus IS300 - 21 Lincoln Town Car - 17
    Mercedes Benz C-Class - 21 Mercury Grand Marquis - 16 Mercury Sable - 21 Mitsubishi Diamante - 20
    Nissan Maxima - 21 Oldsmobile Alero - 20 Pontiac Bonneville - 20 Pontiac Grand Prix - 19 Subaru
    Legacy/Outback - 21 Toyota Avalon - 21 Volvo S60 - 21 Volvo V70/XC70 - 18

    --Josh

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 04:59:45 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Josho" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> Now, if you're saying that many people buy SUVs ONLY for
    >their image,
    >> well, lots of people buy all kinds of cars for their
    >image, whether or
    >> not the car is actually tailored to their *needs.*
    >Sportscars are
    >> bought far more for their image than for most drivers'
    >actual need of
    >> that kind of performance. Sportscars get TERRIBLE mileage.
    >But it's
    >> not as in vogue to spit on sportscars as it is to spit on
    >SUVs.
    >>
    >> People who buy SUVs and have no use for their capacity are
    >being
    >> shamelessly wasteful. So are most sportscar owners. So is
    >anyone is
    >> who drives a car that's leaking or burning oil, or leaves
    >twice as
    >> much rubber on the road as they have to, or runs their AC
    >more than
    >> they need to, or regularly makes jackrabbit starts, or
    >never seems to
    >> care that there's a light up ahead they'll HAVE to stop
    >for
    >> eventually. People are at least as wasteful in their
    >habits as in
    >> their choices of vehicle.
    >
    >My Alfa GTV6 got 25-30mpg. My friend's Porsche 944 gets almost 40mpg on the highway. A Boxter gets
    >in the mid-30s -- modern engine, light weight, low frontal area. My brother's Miata does well over
    >30mpg too, as does a BMW
    >Z3. Heck, even a new *Corvette* gets over 30mpg on the highway. Sure, a few Italian exotics and
    > silly, overpowered pony cars guzzle gas like it's going out of style, but those aren't the
    > norm.
    >
    >The trouble with an SUV is it's tremendous weight and barn door aerodynamics. There's no getting
    >around that. So unless you need the load capacity or the ground clearance, an SUV is a terrible
    >waste. Oh, about towing -- you can pull a hell of a load with a Crown Vic, ride in comfort, and get
    >25mpg+ the rest of the time.
    >
    >> Maybe the MAJORITY of SUV owners don't need as much
    >vehicle as they've
    >> bought. But that's hardly a reason to prejudge all SUVs
    >and SUV owners
    >> as partners in some sort of unique environmental crime.
    >
    >You're right, no reason to prejudge all, only the majority you refer to.
    >
    >Matt O.

  4. MikeHunt2

    MikeHunt2 Guest

    Imagine that, people buying what they want, strange

    mike hunt

  5. P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:

    > "Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > | [email protected] wrote:
    > | >
    > | > Isn't it strange that all the people that can afford to buy an SUV never seem to complain they
    > | > are unnecessary?
    > |
    > | What on _earth_ makes you think I can't afford one??
    >
    > Well, the fact that you have stated that you sold a car to take a vacation could support that
    > assumption.

    It would support the assumption that I couldn't afford one in 1975. Times have changed.

    However, strictly speaking, I _could_ have afforded one even in '75. It would have meant taking out
    a loan. I prefer paying cash for cars. Why pay interest?

    --
    Frank Krygowski [email protected]

  6. MikeHunt2

    MikeHunt2 Guest

    Are you really that naive? They want people to buy pantyhose and Tampex, do you? I know I don't NEED
    those. LOL

    mike hunt

  7. W K wrote:

    > "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:v2sja.8977
    >
    > > "W K"
    >
    > > > What makes you say that? I wasn't in the passing lane as I was being passed on the whole.
    > >
    > > You were "being passed on the whole" at 85mph? You must be in So Ca.
    >
    > Nope. You haven't got a clue about where I drive.
    >
    > > Sweet. I'd encourage you to try to drive the speed limit or less. My Camry (2.2L) gets about 35
    > > on the highway (at 55-65mph, of course).
    >
    > Of course? They are designed to cruise at far higher speeds than that. I really cannot understand
    > how you can be bothered driving anywhere at such a low speed. 85 mph IS the speed limit where I
    > was talking about, and I still get better fuel consumption.

    If WK is claiming better than 35 mpg at 85 mph with a tandem on the roof, I'm thinking WK doesn't
    know how to calculate miles per gallon.

    Alternately, he's just fantasizing.

    --

  8. Duran wrote:

    > > Duran wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Well, um, I need one for towing my trailer, so how could they be unnecessary...no SUV means I
    > > > can't tow my trailer. Seems necessary to me!
    > >
    > > What kind of trailer?
    > >
    > > I've towed our camping trailer to both coasts more than once. No SUV needed. Perhaps your
    > > trailer is also bloated?
    >
    > It is a (roughly) 38' by 8.5' enclosed trailer that I need for my business. There is no way
    > anything other than an SUV will tow that! It has its own brakes, and sometimes even my SUV can be
    > weak towing it.

    OK. My small car certainly won't tow your trailer. FWIW, I think all of us realize that there are
    some jobs that need a big vehicle. Hell, Jon Isaacs used to be a truck driver.

    Part of the problem here is this: if someone (correctly) points out that the vast majority of SUVs
    are bought and driven for stupid reasons, there are objections from the very few SUV owners that
    drive them for good reasons.

    Personally, I'm not complaining about you.

    SUVs have negatives that affect others. So do semi-trailers. Both are sometimes the best vehicle for
    the job. We realize that. We're willing to put up with the negatives when the job being done
    requires a big vehicle.

    But as I said in another post, if a housewife bought a Peterbilt sleeper cab to drive to the grocery
    and the day care, we'd call it stupid. The negatives she imposes on others aren't justified by the
    job she has to
    do.

    Ditto if she does that with an SUV.

    --
    Frank Krygowski [email protected]

  9. MajorDomo

    MajorDomo Guest

    Can we assume that is why you haven't bought a new car since 1975, don't have the cash? ;)

    mike hunt

    Frank Krygowski wrote:

    > P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:

    > > | What on _earth_ makes you think I can't afford one??
    > >
    > > Well, the fact that you have stated that you sold a car to take a vacation could support that
    > > assumption.
    >
    > It would support the assumption that I couldn't afford one in 1975. Times have changed.
    >
    > However, strictly speaking, I _could_ have afforded one even in '75. It would have meant taking
    > out a loan. I prefer paying cash for cars. Why pay interest?
    >
    > --
    > Frank Krygowski [email protected]

  10. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Josho" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Just for amusement, I made a list of passenger cars (no
    trucks, SUVs,
    > or minivans) that get INFERIOR mileage to my SUV's
    mileage. The MPG
    > estimates are based on CR's mix of real-world driving
    (some
    > expressway, some country road, some city) and they didn't
    list mileage
    > for models that they either hadn't tested recently or were
    too new for
    > them to get a bigger picture. They also don't review
    sportscars very
    > often, so many weren't on the bigger list.
    >
    > BTW, I also didn't include in this list those cars that
    must have
    > premium gas, and therefore may have higher mileage but
    pollute more at
    > the same time.
    >
    > I suggest we start spitting on these as soon as possible.
    >
    > Acura RL - 21 Audi A4 - 20 Audi A6 - 18 BMW 5 Series - 20 Buick LeSabre - 20 Buick Park Avenue -
    > 21 Cadillac DeVille - 19 Chevrolet Corvette - 21 Chevrolet Impala - 20 Chrysler 300M - 21 Chrysler
    > PT Cruiser - 18 Chrysler Sebring - 21 Dodge Intrepid - 19 Dodge Stratus - 21 Ford Crown Victoria -
    > 16 Ford Taurus - 21 Ford Thunderbird - 17 Hyundai Sonata - 21 Hyundai XG350 - 19 Infiniti I35 - 20
    > Jaguar S-Type - 20 Jaguar X-Type - 19 Lexus ES300 - 21 Lexus IS300 - 21 Lincoln Town Car - 17
    > Mercedes Benz C-Class - 21 Mercury Grand Marquis - 16 Mercury Sable - 21 Mitsubishi Diamante - 20
    > Nissan Maxima - 21 Oldsmobile Alero - 20 Pontiac Bonneville - 20 Pontiac Grand Prix - 19 Subaru
    > Legacy/Outback - 21 Toyota Avalon - 21 Volvo S60 - 21 Volvo V70/XC70 - 18

    How about using the same test for both groups, instead of CR's for one, and your own casual
    obervation for another?

    I have real world experience with several of those cars, which all did quite a bit better than that.
    At the very least it illustrates the importance of using the same test. But that's beside the point.
    The fact is that it takes power to move mass and air no matter what, and SUVs require more of that
    power. There's no fooling the laws of physics.

    Matt O.

  11. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

  12. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > What a concept, buying the type of vehicle one wants! Why didn't you buy what someone else wanted
    > your to buy?

    If SUVs are legislated out of existence, that's what they're doing to you. I don't even think that
    they're necessarily the best vehicle for anyone, but I do believe that we should have the right to
    choose the vehicle that we WANT to drive rather than what some pencil pushing legislator thinks we
    should drive.

    I personally think that the hybrid-electric SUV makes a lot of sense. Big enough to haul
    things/people AND still gets 30-50mpg. Once they get some of the bugs worked out, I'm signing up for
    one. But this is MY choice, not what some legislator has decided for me.

    Mike

  13. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > One can only assume that if one needed an SUV, and could afford one, he would own one. I don't
    > hear the people that can afford one and need one complaining. Do you? I would suggest those that
    > don't want, need or cant' afford an SUV buy what you do want need and can afford.

    Exactly. Just don't bitch about the SUVs that you didn't buy just because you don't need one.

    Mike

    > mike hunt
    >

    > Frank Krygowski wrote:
    > >
    > > [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > > Isn't it strange that all the people that can afford to
    > buy an SUV never seem to complain they are unnecessary? Only those that can't afford one seem to
    > think they are unnecessary. Let them vent if it keeps them from going nuts, after all there is
    > nothing they can do to stop people from buying what they want. LOL
    >

    > > --
    > > Frank Krygowski [email protected]

  14. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Duran wrote:

    > > > What kind of trailer?
    > > >
    > > > I've towed our camping trailer to both coasts more than once. No SUV needed. Perhaps your
    > > > trailer is also bloated?
    > >
    > > It is a (roughly) 38' by 8.5' enclosed trailer that I need for my
    business.
    > > There is no way anything other than an SUV will tow that! It has its own brakes, and sometimes
    > > even my SUV can be weak towing it.
    >
    > OK. My small car certainly won't tow your trailer. FWIW, I think all of us realize that there are
    > some jobs that need a big vehicle. Hell, Jon Isaacs used to be a truck driver.
    >
    > Part of the problem here is this: if someone (correctly) points out that the vast majority of SUVs
    > are bought and driven for stupid reasons, there are objections from the very few SUV owners that
    > drive them for good reasons.
    >
    > Personally, I'm not complaining about you.
    >
    > SUVs have negatives that affect others. So do semi-trailers. Both are sometimes the best vehicle
    > for the job. We realize that. We're willing to put up with the negatives when the job being done
    > requires a big vehicle.
    >
    > But as I said in another post, if a housewife bought a Peterbilt sleeper cab to drive to the
    > grocery and the day care, we'd call it stupid. The negatives she imposes on others aren't
    > justified by the job she has to
    > do.

    Talk to the snowbirds in Yuma that drive their Peterbuit 5th wheel tow vehicles down from the
    north... Sometimes that is all they have to drive to the store. That wasteful? What is the
    alternative? Starving? Oh wait, I know, mass transit in the desert!

    Hey, that's a good business idea: run a bus service for the snowbirds so that they don't have
    to drive their dually diesel pickups into town to go get groceries! Wonder how profitable
    that would be?

    Mike
    > Ditto if she does that with an SUV.
    >
    > --
    > Frank Krygowski [email protected]

  15. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > Are you really that naive? They want people to buy pantyhose and Tampex, do you? I know I don't
    > NEED those. LOL

    No, but your wife/girlfriend needs those things. When was the last time you suggested that the
    wife/girlfriend goes without tampons or pantyhose?

    SUVs are a great source of $$ for the car manufacturers. Lots and lots of margin built into them. Of
    course they're going to advertise the hell out of them, push them on soccer moms that don't really
    NEED them, and make a ton of money in the process.

    The thing about SUVs that really kills me is the 4wd. Exactly how much time is actually spent in
    4wd? 1% maybe?? All that extra wear and tear, and even worse mileage...

    Mike

    > mike hunt
    >

    > Robin Hubert wrote:
    > >
    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > What a concept, buying the type of vehicle one wants! Why didn't you buy what someone else
    > > > wanted your to buy?
    > >
    > > That's funny. I'd be willing to wager there's a whole lot of (new) car buyers that buy what
    > > someone else (namely, the marketing guys) wanted
    them
    > > to buy. Think of SUVs for example.
    > >
    > > > mike hunt

    > > older

    > > all

    > > on

    > > get

    > > point?

    > > vehicle?

    > > Hit

  16. W K

    W K Guest

    "Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > W K wrote:

    > > 85 mph IS the speed limit where I was talking about, and I still get
    better
    > > fuel consumption.
    >
    > If WK is claiming better than 35 mpg at 85 mph with a tandem on the roof, I'm thinking WK doesn't
    > know how to calculate miles per gallon.

    I wasn't actually. There were different claims there, and I was being deliberately economical with
    the truth. Its rather difficult to get to 85mph with a bike on the roof, even though possible I
    prefer to stick closer to 70mph (unless "in peloton" with a small SUV), and over longer distances
    remove as much as I can (always the seats, often wheels and mudguards). Also, I do not spend my life
    working out fuel economy.

    However, recently a long trip+business with hours at 80-90mph I did manage to get 40mpg. I would
    point out that its a small multivalve engine, with no aircon, no power steering, no excessive
    electrics and above all its a stick shift.

    > Alternately, he's just fantasizing.

    I fantasise about 25mph averages, not fuel consumption.

    Imagine no possessions. Imagine no loan repayments. Its easier for me to try.

  17. Josho

    Josho Guest

    Matt,

    I'm not sure what "casual observation" you're referring to. Could you please explain?

    Incidentally, as far as the laws of physics go, they also handily explain why sportscars frequently
    get poor gas mileage.

    --Josh

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 19:50:50 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Josho" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> Just for amusement, I made a list of passenger cars (no
    >trucks, SUVs,
    >> or minivans) that get INFERIOR mileage to my SUV's
    >mileage. The MPG
    >> estimates are based on CR's mix of real-world driving
    >(some
    >> expressway, some country road, some city) and they didn't
    >list mileage
    >> for models that they either hadn't tested recently or were
    >too new for
    >> them to get a bigger picture. They also don't review
    >sportscars very
    >> often, so many weren't on the bigger list.
    >>
    >> BTW, I also didn't include in this list those cars that
    >must have
    >> premium gas, and therefore may have higher mileage but
    >pollute more at
    >> the same time.
    >>
    >> I suggest we start spitting on these as soon as possible.
    >>
    >> Acura RL - 21 Audi A4 - 20 Audi A6 - 18 BMW 5 Series - 20 Buick LeSabre - 20 Buick Park Avenue -
    >> 21 Cadillac DeVille - 19 Chevrolet Corvette - 21 Chevrolet Impala - 20 Chrysler 300M - 21
    >> Chrysler PT Cruiser - 18 Chrysler Sebring - 21 Dodge Intrepid - 19 Dodge Stratus - 21 Ford Crown
    >> Victoria - 16 Ford Taurus - 21 Ford Thunderbird - 17 Hyundai Sonata - 21 Hyundai XG350 - 19
    >> Infiniti I35 - 20 Jaguar S-Type - 20 Jaguar X-Type - 19 Lexus ES300 - 21 Lexus IS300 - 21 Lincoln
    >> Town Car - 17 Mercedes Benz C-Class - 21 Mercury Grand Marquis - 16 Mercury Sable - 21 Mitsubishi
    >> Diamante - 20 Nissan Maxima - 21 Oldsmobile Alero - 20 Pontiac Bonneville - 20 Pontiac Grand Prix
    >> - 19 Subaru Legacy/Outback - 21 Toyota Avalon - 21 Volvo S60 - 21 Volvo V70/XC70 - 18
    >
    >How about using the same test for both groups, instead of CR's for one, and your own casual
    >obervation for another?
    >
    >I have real world experience with several of those cars, which all did quite a bit better than
    >that. At the very least it illustrates the importance of using the same test. But that's beside the
    >point. The fact is that it takes power to move mass and air no matter what, and SUVs require more
    >of that power. There's no fooling the laws of physics.
    >
    >Matt O.

  18. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > "Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > I prefer paying cash for cars. Why pay interest?
    >
    > ...especially on a depreciating "asset."
    >
    > Matt O.

    Depends on the situation. Personally, I'd rather keep my money invested, using interest to pay for
    the vehicle, or using the interest write-off for my corporation, or even better: leasing. That way I
    can write off the whole payment!

    C'mon Mazda RX8! Gotta have a nice car for the corporate president, right?

    Mike

  19. "Mike S." wrote:

    > Just don't bitch about the SUVs that you didn't buy just because you don't need one.

    Hmm. And just because you heat your home with natural gas, don't complain if your next door neighbor
    chooses to heat his by burning smelly chicken manure.

    Is that how this stuff works?

    --

  20. "Mike S." wrote:

    > Talk to the snowbirds in Yuma that drive their Peterbuit 5th wheel tow vehicles down from the
    > north... Sometimes that is all they have to drive to the store. That wasteful? What is the
    > alternative? Starving? Oh wait, I know, mass transit in the desert!

    If you _really_ can't think of an alternative, there's not much sense in discussing these
    things with you!

    --
    Frank Krygowski [email protected]