STUPID UNNECESSARY VEHICLES

W K wrote:

> "Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > If WK is claiming better than 35 mpg at 85 mph with a tandem on the roof, I'm thinking WK
> > doesn't know how to calculate miles per gallon.
>
> I wasn't actually. There were different claims there, and I was being deliberately economical with
> the truth.

IOW you were lying? I'm not surprised.

> Also, I do not spend my life working out fuel economy.

IOW you don't even know what gas mileage you really get? Again, given your claims, I'm not at all
surprised.

********.

--
Frank Krygowski [email protected]

> > In my 1984 Escort Diesel, I was still getting a measured 55 mpg on the highway at 60 mph when it
> > had more than 100,000 miles. When it was new, it got around 58 mpg. Commuting back and forth to
> > work (only 12 mi each way, so it was seldom fully warmed up) I averaged between 40 and 45 mpg.
> >

> But who would want to drive that thing? I understand the early Escorts were kinda crappy. How
> would you rate your "incidence of repairs" on that car?

That was several years into the reign of the Escort as the best-selling car in the world. I never
had to do anything except scheduled maintenance, as listed in the manual, except that I changed the
oil at approx 2/3 of the recommended interval. It had the most comfortable seats of any car I've
ever owned, and in one stretch between duty stations, I put 6000 miles on it in 3 weeks. What
finally killed it was my wife putting gasoline into it. It ran for a few more weeks, then I
discovered it had a cracked cylinder head. At that point, it had 120,000 miles on it and was 8 years
old, so I put it out of its misery.

On Thu, 03 Apr 2003 22:19:55 GMT, [email protected] (Road Glidin' Don) wrote:

>On 3 Apr 2003 13:48:20 -0800, [email protected] (Don Quijote) wrote:
>
><snipped same old, subject, spammed widely as possible>
>

>SUV ****, already. Or keep it to an automobile forum.
>
>With the war threads, we have more than enough off-topic traffic already.

I just got one of those 2 ton missle bombs they are using in Iraq. The next SUV is see, gets it !!!!

"Mike S." wrote:

> Talk to the snowbirds in Yuma that drive their Peterbuit 5th wheel tow vehicles down from the
> north... Sometimes that is all they have to drive to the store. That wasteful? What is the
> alternative? Starving? Oh wait, I know, mass transit in the desert!....

Riding a bicycle to the store?

> Isn't it strange that all the people that can afford to buy an SUV never seem to complain they are
> unnecessary?

As if you've done a study; haw haw haw.

I can afford one, and I think they're worse than unnecessary. They're a ridiculous fashion statement
for people with no imagination; they're a menace to safe driving; and they're an incitement to war.

> Only those that can't afford one seem to think they are unnecessary.

False.

> Let them vent if it keeps them from going nuts, after all there is nothing they can do to stop
> people from buying what they want. LOL

Insurance rates began to rise for the things some time ago, due to their being inherently unsafe for
other drivers not in them. Now, they'll probably begin to rise now that it has been shown they're
more unsafe to their occupants. And if the good guys

skyrocket.

In a perfect world, the things would be legal, but the states would (legitimately) make the cost of
owning one prohibitive.

Frank Krygowski wrote:

> "Mike S." wrote:
> >
> > Just don't ***** about the SUVs that you didn't buy just because you don't need one.
>
> Hmm. And just because you heat your home with natural gas, don't complain if your next door
> neighbor chooses to heat his by burning smelly chicken manure.
>
> Is that how this stuff works?

No that's not really how it works, and you know it.

Do you get upset if your neighbor owns a larger home than he really needs? That excess size cost
trees, pollution in production of the lumber, nails, roofing; higher fuel costs heating; higher
fuel/pollution costs in transporting; blah, blah, blah.

Yet it doesn't concern you that your neighbor has 3000 sq ft for just he and wifey and
junior and fido?

How much chicken **** are you willing to tolerate from that guy??!!

SMH

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 18:28:32 GMT, "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I can easily afford one. Instead, I bought a Saab 9-3 Viggen.

Figures a stupid top poster would buy that car...

After skimming the many posts on this thread I noticed that the main objection for SUVs is the poor
mileage. To me, this misses SUVs MANY other bad points. At the outset, let me agree that some people
truly need large vehicles but HALF? Don't think so. Many people buy them thinking they are safer. In
a head on collision with a smaller car that may be the case, but any extra margin of safety is
gained on the backs, and lives, of the drivers of normal size cars. The high bumpers easily pass
over those of standard vehicles thus making a slow speed "encounter" life threatening to the driver
of a car. SUVs are so tall that they block the view of passenger cars, making normal maneuvers more
dangerous. How often do you see an SUV with a full load, of people or gear? See any mud around the
wheel wells? Didn't think so. There are few justifications for these monsters, other than fashion.
Back to safety, any gain in protection from having a massive vehicle seems to be more than balanced
out by their tendency to roll over. While on the way to work the other day, traffic was held up by
an accident. When I passed the two vehicles being towed I saw a Toyota Tercel with it's hood
smashed, windshield busted and air bags deployed. It seemed as if the passengers could easily have
walked away. The SUV, on the other hand had it's roof crushed and one side pushed in. How
embarrassing! A massive SUV taken out by a lowly Tercel.

Tim McTeague

Stephen Harding wrote:

> Frank Krygowski wrote:
>
> > "Mike S." wrote:
> > >
> > > Just don't ***** about the SUVs that you didn't buy just because you don't need one.
> >
> > Hmm. And just because you heat your home with natural gas, don't complain if your next door
> > neighbor chooses to heat his by burning smelly chicken manure.
> >
> > Is that how this stuff works?
>
> No that's not really how it works, and you know it.
>
> Do you get upset if your neighbor owns a larger home than he really needs? That excess size cost
> trees, pollution in production of the lumber, nails, roofing; higher fuel costs heating; higher
> fuel/pollution costs in transporting; blah, blah, blah.
>
> Yet it doesn't concern you that your neighbor has 3000 sq ft for just he and wifey and junior
> and fido?
>
> How much chicken **** are you willing to tolerate from that guy??!!

None of my neighbor's homes have any likelihood of crashing into me as I drive. They don't have
bumpers that aim at my driver's window. They don't have headlights that are so high they tend to
blind me, nor driving lights or fog lights that are nearly at the same height. They don't take up
two parking spaces due to their size, or because their owners can't maneuver them properly. They
don't block my view in traffic. None of them have super-knobby tires that make excessive road noise.
And the owners of those bigger houses don't display aggressive tendencies while moving them around,
like tailgating. Finally, those houses have to meet exactly the same safety and pollution standards
that my house does.

IOW, the negatives of SUVs are much more than the fact that they waste gas.

--

"Tim McTeague" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| After skimming the many posts on this thread I noticed that the main objection for SUVs is the
| poor mileage.

Back to safety, any gain in protection from having a massive
| vehicle seems to be more than balanced out by their tendency to roll over. While on the way to
| work the other day, traffic was held up by an accident. When I passed the two vehicles being towed
| I saw a Toyota Tercel with it's hood smashed, windshield busted and air bags deployed. It seemed
| as if the passengers could easily have walked away. The SUV, on the other hand had it's roof
| crushed and one side pushed in. How embarrassing! A massive SUV taken out by a lowly Tercel.

As long as we're sharing anecdotes, here's why your observations could certainly be way, way off
of the mark:

Dodge Neon runs a stop signal at 35+ mph and hits an SUV obliquely as it is turning left across the
intersection:

http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/ML_accident/images/idiot.jpg

Neon occupents get a face full of airbag and Neon passenger is taken away in an ambulance with
sever whiplash.

The SUV was rolled:

http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/ML_accident/images/ouch2.jpg

...and the driver walked away without injury:

http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/ML_accident/images/ouch3.jpg

It's a good thing that she wasn't driving another small passenger car like another Neon.

That would most likely not be legal under several laws but buying an SUV is legal. You next
irrelevant point?

mike hunt

Frank Krygowski wrote:

> "Mike S." wrote:
> >
> > Just don't ***** about the SUVs that you didn't buy just because you don't need one.
>
> Hmm. And just because you heat your home with natural gas, don't complain if your next door
> neighbor chooses to heat his by burning smelly chicken manure.
>
> Is that how this stuff works?
>
> --
> Frank Krygowski [email protected]

To begin with you assumption are not correct. Light trucks which, includes SUV's, must meet the
exact same safety and pollution standards as automobiles. Some SUV actually get better fuel mileage
than some cars, so that comparison is useless. According to government figures available on the net,
SUV's as a group exceed their CAFE standard by a greater amount than cars as a group. They cost
money but there are driving school that you can attend that will teach you how to overcome you
driving deficiencies. There are free public health services that can help you with your paranoia. In
any event your opinions are noted, but in the real world they will not chance anything, get over it
and get a life WBMA

mike hunt

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Finally, those
> houses have to meet exactly the same safety and pollution standards that my house does.
>
> IOW, the negatives of SUVs are much more than the fact that they waste gas.
>
> --
> Frank Krygowski [email protected]

> Don't you get it? I's not what you want or need or can afford, It is all about what other think
> you need and should buy. In any event what they think is immaterial. People will continue to buy
> what they want and all of the ranting in the NG will not make a bit of difference. That is what
> pisses him off as he chases HIS windmills. LOL

You must have the 'old version' of Don Quixote...

HOW CERVANTES WAS FOOLED

One day the Lie, which inhabits in the most unbelievable places such as the government and the
pulpit, decided that such Don Quixote was a very dangerous enemy because many others could follow
his example... This way in the famous occasion when the noble knight was about to attack the Bad
Giants, the Lie revealed himself to Cervantes as windmills...

And that's how from then on more than one revolutionary was frustrated for fear of being
called crazy...

In article <[email protected]>, Tim McTeague wrote:
> After skimming the many posts on this thread I noticed that the main objection for SUVs is the
> poor mileage.

It's the least of mine, and then only with regards to regulations such as CAFE that punish cars with
the same mpg ratings.

Could be, but I saw both vehicles and you did not. No intersection involved, although it could have
happened at the on/off ramp for the highway. It's true I do not know the fate of each driver but the
SUV clearly seemed to get the worst of it. Most studies, of which I am aware, rate rollover as one
of the most deadly accidents a vehicle can have. Anecdotal evidence is seldom reliable, I just added
the story as a relevant point that seems to fly in the face of most assumptions about SUV vs. car
collisions.

BTW, what is "sever" whiplash? Is that where the driver's head is torn clean off?

Tim

> As long as we're sharing anecdotes, here's why your observations could
certainly be way,
> way off of the mark:
>
> Dodge Neon runs a stop signal at 35+ mph and hits an SUV obliquely as it
is turning left
> across the intersection:
>
> http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/ML_accident/images/idiot.jpg
>
> Neon occupents get a face full of airbag and Neon passenger is taken away
in an ambulance
> with sever whiplash.
>
> The SUV was rolled:
>
> http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/ML_accident/images/ouch2.jpg
>
> ...and the driver walked away without injury:
>
> http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/ML_accident/images/ouch3.jpg
>
> It's a good thing that she wasn't driving another small passenger car like
another Neon.

<snip>

> Insurance rates began to rise for the things some time ago, due to their being inherently unsafe
> for other drivers not in them. Now, they'll probably begin to rise now that it has been shown
> they're more unsafe to their occupants. And if the good guys

> skyrocket.
>
> In a perfect world, the things would be legal, but the states would (legitimately) make the cost
> of owning one prohibitive.

So where does that line of reasoning stop?

Limiting the horsepower of all cars because cars with big engines/high horsepower pollute more?

Limit the size of cars, because cars over a certain size take more material to build? because
they're "more dangerous" to smaller cars because they outweigh them?

How 'bout racing? No more racing because it wastes fuel? Regardless of what engineering comes out
of racing.

Hell, I don't think that the majority of the people that own SUVs need them, but I'll defend their
right to own one because the alternative scares the **** out of me! Just where do the laws that
limit freedom stop?

Mike

> "Mike S." wrote:
> >
> > Talk to the snowbirds in Yuma that drive their Peterbuit 5th wheel tow vehicles down from the
> > north... Sometimes that is all they have to
drive to
> > the store. That wasteful? What is the alternative? Starving? Oh
wait, I
> > know, mass transit in the desert!....
>
> Riding a bicycle to the store?

Not when its 15-20 miles to the store and its 90+ out. Not really an option. Even for me, and I'm
a cyclist!

Mike

"Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Stephen Harding wrote:
> >
> > Frank Krygowski wrote:

> > > Hmm. And just because you heat your home with natural gas, don't complain if your next door
> > > neighbor chooses to heat his by burning smelly chicken manure.
> > >
> > > Is that how this stuff works?
> >
> > No that's not really how it works, and you know it.
> >
> > Do you get upset if your neighbor owns a larger home than he really needs? That excess size cost
> > trees, pollution in production of the lumber, nails, roofing; higher fuel costs heating; higher
> > fuel/pollution costs in transporting; blah, blah, blah.
> >
> > Yet it doesn't concern you that your neighbor has 3000 sq ft for just he and wifey and junior
> > and fido?
> >
> > How much chicken **** are you willing to tolerate from that guy??!!
>
> None of my neighbor's homes have any likelihood of crashing into me as I drive. They don't have
> bumpers that aim at my driver's window. They don't have headlights that are so high they tend to
> blind me, nor driving lights or fog lights that are nearly at the same height. They don't take up
> two parking spaces due to their size, or because their owners can't maneuver them properly. They
> don't block my view in traffic. None of them have super-knobby tires that make excessive road
> noise. And the owners of those bigger houses don't display aggressive tendencies while moving them
> around, like tailgating. Finally, those houses have to meet exactly the same safety and pollution
> standards that my house does.

Ahh, so EVERY car driver doesn't tailgate, doesn't have those nifty blue high intensity
discharge lights (that blind even me in my full size P/U), that don't have idiots behind the
wheel weaving in and out of traffic with only inches to spare, or anything else that you just
ascribed to SUV drivers.

The way around someone blocking your view of the road ahead is to follow at a safe distance. Works
for me, you should try it. The only time I follow closer than safe is when I'm looking through the
back window of the vehicle in front of me, watching the taillights of the car in front of them. I
know that people driving little cars think that they stop faster than my truck, but I see so many
people driving up behind me and following so closely that I can't see their headlights in my rear
view mirror, that it makes me wonder how hard they're gonna clock me if something happens.

I've seen studies that show at highway speeds, having the AC on is more efficient than opening the
windows. If you're so darn environmentally conscious, why are you wasting fuel with your windows
open at highway speeds? If you've got the windows closed, you don't hear the tires nearly as much.

By the sheer dint of bigger size, it takes more energy to heat a bigger house, more materials to
build it, and yet, noone complains about bigger houses being environmentally less friendly.
Funny, that.

> IOW, the negatives of SUVs are much more than the fact that they waste gas.

...and those grapes are probably sour too...

Mike

"Tim McTeague" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

| Anecdotal evidence is seldom reliable, I just added the story as a relevant point that seems to
| fly in the face of most assumptions about SUV vs. car collisions.

As I added my story as a relevant point that seems to fly in the fac of most assumptions about SUV
rollovers.

| BTW, what is "sever" whiplash? Is that where the driver's head is torn clean off?

Oh, a typo funny.

Good one.