Sturmey Archer 4 Speed Wheel

tomward62

Mar 19, 2014
Hi all,
The rear wheel of my Moulton Major Deluxe (circa 1968/69) has just come back from a service (and extensive parts replacement), and I’m trying to refit the back wheel to the bike. It has a Sturmey Archer 4 Speed. I assume the washers have been replaced in the correct order, but am finding it quite a struggle to get it to fit! If anyone would mind having a look at the pic below to let me know if I’m doing this properly that would be great!
The wheel seems very stiff in the dropouts (won’t move back and forth even with axle nuts loose). It looks like there are too many washers on the left hand side which may be trying to push the forks outwards? Also, is the anti rotation washer (i think this is the one I have labelled in pink) supposed to slot into the dropout?? If so, it looks like it’s the wrong way round on my bike and far too far away from the dropout itself
Thanks!

Originally Posted by tomward62
The rear wheel of my Moulton Major Deluxe (circa 1968/69) has just come back from a service (and extensive parts replacement), and I’m trying to refit the back wheel to the bike. It has a Sturmey Archer 4 Speed. I assume the washers have been replaced in the correct order, but am finding it quite a struggle to get it to fit! If anyone would mind having a look at the pic below to let me know if I’m doing this properly that would be great!
The wheel seems very stiff in the dropouts (won’t move back and forth even with axle nuts loose). It looks like there are too many washers on the left hand side which may be trying to push the forks outwards? Also, is the anti rotation washer (i think this is the one I have labelled in pink) supposed to slot into the dropout?? If so, it looks like it’s the wrong way round on my bike and far too far away from the dropout itself
I'm going to guess that the person who worked on your hub may have added 6mm of washers/spacers to the assembly & that your hub is now spaced for dropouts which are 126mm apart ...

• measure the O.L.D. ("over locknut dimension") for the rejuvenated hub to confirm.

So, check the width of your dropouts ... it will probably measure ~120mm.

The remedy is to either remove 3mm (?) of spacers/washers from each of the hub OR to respace the frame's rear dropouts to 126mm (but, there is really no point in doing the latter).

If the hub's O.L.D is 120mm then check to ensure that your frame wasn't damaged while it sat around your house.