Sturmey Archer AB

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Adam Rush, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. Adam Rush

    Adam Rush Guest

    I was looking through the spare parts bench at an LBS and found what could be a gem: a 1982 Sturmey
    Archer AB. It shows no spoke marks and the flange is not worn, so, best I can tell, it is NOS. I
    want to put it on an old army bike.

    So, is this worth the 200:-? (~25-30US) Also, when I'm looking for parts, will I be able to use AW
    bits? When I maintain it, is it safe to use an AB/C service manual for reference?

    Also, is there any particular motor oil that one would recommend for use in Sturmey Archer hubs?

    Tags:

  2. Bill Putnam

    Bill Putnam Guest

    [email protected] (Adam Rush) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I was looking through the spare parts bench at an LBS and found what could be a gem: a 1982
    > Sturmey Archer AB. It shows no spoke marks and the flange is not worn, so, best I can tell, it is
    > NOS. I want to put it on an old army bike.
    >
    > So, is this worth the 200:-? (~25-30US) Also, when I'm looking for parts, will I be able to use AW
    > bits? When I maintain it, is it safe to use an AB/C service manual for reference?
    >
    > Also, is there any particular motor oil that one would recommend for use in Sturmey Archer hubs?

    The AB hub is very similar to the AW, relevant differences are in the width of the planet cage and
    left side cone design. Axle, gears, clutch and so on are interchangeable.

    If it is a 1982 model it should have the later style shoes, earlier Sturmey drum brake hubs used a
    leather shoe which was not very effective. The drum brake is not as powerful as a correctly adjusted
    rim brake but for my use it served me well. $30 US for a NOS unit would be a fair to low price IMHO.

    Sturmey Archer sells oil for the hubs, but a lightweight motor oil should be ok. My LBS (Yellow
    Jersey, Madison WI) sells an oil for SA hubs that I find to give good service. Do not use 3 in 1 oil
    as this can get gummy. Add a few drops each week but do not over oil as then you will get oil on the
    shoes which is not a good thing.

    Quality on some of the later SA hubs was not always the best. I had two AB hubs from 1985 and both
    of these had poorly formed gear teeth, especially the sun gear. I replaced the axle, sun gear,
    planet gears, planet gear pins, and clutch with parts from a relatively unworn early 1960's AW hub
    and all was well after that.

    Bill Putnam

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Adam Rush wrote:

    > I was looking through the spare parts bench at an LBS and found what could be a gem: a 1982
    > Sturmey Archer AB. It shows no spoke marks and the flange is not worn, so, best I can tell, it is
    > NOS. I want to put it on an old army bike.
    >
    > So, is this worth the 200:-? (~25-30US) Also, when I'm looking for parts, will I be able to use AW
    > bits? When I maintain it, is it safe to use an AB/C service manual for reference?
    >
    > Also, is there any particular motor oil that one would recommend for use in Sturmey Archer hubs?

    Most AW service parts yes ( planet cage no). That's a sturdy
    dependable hub with marginal braking ( I've ridden an AB
    for many years but I use the front brake almost exclusively)

    Anyway, they give a nice clean line to the back of your bike
    . On the other hand you now need to carry tools to remove the brake strap bolt when you flat.

    People argue about the lubrication as much as anything here. Any good machine oil will be OK.
    Singer's or something like it. We use Paneff but a wide range of products work well.