Sturmey Archer SW Parts

Homesteader82

Jul 1, 2010
Hello All!
I know I'm going to get some **** from people for bothering with this hub, but I was wondering if anyone might know where I can find pawls or an axle key for a Sturmey Archer SW hub, or maybe just an extra hub.
Thanks for your time!
Seth Draeger
[email protected]

Type "pawl" in the search box and the hits cover 3 pages, are you sure there's none for you?
The way I've used their site is first by finding a diagram over the hub, then I search for the part by the part name - like HSA ***.
Have you tried that?

dabac said:
Type "pawl" in the search box and the hits cover 3 pages, are you sure there's none for you?
The way I've used their site is first by finding a diagram over the hub, then I search for the part by the part name - like HSA ***.
Have you tried that?

I looked at every one of the 200 parts for sturmy, I searched pawl, and the only diagram I can find just says L8 for the part, which doesn't turn up anything. The pawls were very different for this model as it didn't have any springs. They look like crescent moons. I think I probably just need to find some used parts because I'm not sure anybody makes these anymore. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Seth

Try the classic & vintage forum of bikeforums.net. This forum is great but one thing they have much less of, is classic & vintage.

Homesteader82 said:
... I was wondering if anyone might know where I can find pawls or an axle key for a Sturmey Archer SW hub, or maybe just an extra hub.
You can find SA hubs on eBay ... new & used.

I'm pretty sure that you can make a wholesale swap of the guts from a "new" hub with the guts in your hub ... it's what I would probably do in your situation (i.e., that way, you don't have to worry about findng a hub with the same the spoke hole count AND/OR relacing the wheel).

alfeng said:
You can find SA hubs on eBay ... new & used.

I'm pretty sure that you can make a wholesale swap of the guts from a "new" hub with the guts in your hub ... it's what I would probably do in your situation (i.e., that way, you don't have to worry about findng a hub with the same the spoke hole count AND/OR relacing the wheel).

So I could get an old aw and swap the parts?

I'd find out what an SW is worth first. They were only made for a short time in the 50s, I believe, and some people like them because they got a lot of things right despite being underdesigned in some areas.

garage sale GT said:
I'd find out what an SW is worth first. They were only made for a short time in the 50s, I believe, and some people like them because they got a lot of things right despite being underdesigned in some areas.

Yeah, I would like to keep it original if I can. One of the pawls edges was chipped, so I sharpened it by grinding the concave side, then I did the same to a couple more. I would like to just replace them because I am going to ride my 50's Schwinn Tiger in Pelotonia soon and don't want them to break. I also accidentally broke the axle key in taking it out, so I need that too. I did order an axle key that looks like the one I need but I think it is for an AW, so I'm not sure if it will work.

An AW wheel is about a hundred bucks. Why not swap that in so you wouldn't be pressured to sort out the SW?

Homesteader82 said:
So I could get an old aw and swap the parts?
I cannot be certain, but I rather doubt that SA changed the internal dimensions of the shell, etc. when they developed-and-manufactured the SW's internal mechanism ... so, if you were inclined to, I think you could transplant an AW mechanism into the SW shell.

No guarantees on that!

BUT, in case the AW & SW shells are a different size, then buy an AW hub with the same spoke count!

BTW. Were any of the three pawls failing to engage?

Or, were you only aware of the chipped pawl because you disassembled the hub?

If the bike needs 26X1-3/8 or 26" ballon tire cruiser wheels, just buy a wheel. Much cheaper and easier.