Sub 40 for 5

Mike L

Guest
When I started running a year ago my first "goal" was to break 45 min for 5 miles. Yesterday I
finally broke the 40 min mark with 39:12! I'm doing a 10k next weekend and hope to maintain that
same pace for around 49 min. Hopefully it will be a little warmer by then.

Well done, Mike. Sounds like you are making good use of intermediate goal-setting to drive your
training. Good luck in the 10K and let us know how it goes. -chris

Mike L wrote:

> When I started running a year ago my first "goal" was to break 45 min for 5 miles. Yesterday I
> finally broke the 40 min mark with 39:12! I'm doing a 10k next weekend and hope to maintain that
> same pace for around 49 min. Hopefully it will be a little warmer by then.

[email protected] (Mike L) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> When I started running a year ago my first "goal" was to break 45 min for 5 miles. Yesterday I
> finally broke the 40 min mark with 39:12! I'm doing a 10k next weekend and hope to maintain that
> same pace for around 49 min. Hopefully it will be a little warmer by then.

My first running goal was also regarding the 5 mile distance. After my first race, a 5 miler, I
wanted to finish ahead of a neighbor who had beaten me by over 10 minutes. Well I beat my goal and
still do just about every time I run 5 miles. I still have a soft spot for 5 milers. What a
wonderful distance for a race. Long enough to make you think yet short enough that you still have
to run fast.

Congrats! Andy

Nice running Mike. I've found that in a "race"environment paces and effort are harder so the sub 49
should be doable. Good Luck. Doug Burke

Mike L wrote:

> When I started running a year ago my first "goal" was to break 45 min for 5 miles. Yesterday I
> finally broke the 40 min mark with 39:12! I'm doing a 10k next weekend and hope to maintain that
> same pace for around 49 min. Hopefully it will be a little warmer by then.

WAH HOO!!! great job!

Victoria

"Mike L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> When I started running a year ago my first "goal" was to break 45 min for 5 miles. Yesterday I
> finally broke the 40 min mark with 39:12! I'm doing a 10k next weekend and hope to maintain that
> same pace for around 49 min. Hopefully it will be a little warmer by then.

Thanks all. Moving from 9 to 8 min pace wasn't as hard as I expected. I wonder if 7 will be feasible
a year from now? It certainly seems a much more difficult gain...but who knows? I'll be posting the
outcome of my 10k next week. My first race! Thanks again for the encouragements.