Sub 40 for 5

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Mike L, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Mike L

Mike L Guest

When I started running a year ago my first "goal" was to break 45 min for 5 miles. Yesterday I
    finally broke the 40 min mark with 39:12! I'm doing a 10k next weekend and hope to maintain that
    same pace for around 49 min. Hopefully it will be a little warmer by then.

Tags:

2. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Guest

Well done, Mike. Sounds like you are making good use of intermediate goal-setting to drive your
    training. Good luck in the 10K and let us know how it goes. -chris

Mike L wrote:

> When I started running a year ago my first "goal" was to break 45 min for 5 miles. Yesterday I
    > finally broke the 40 min mark with 39:12! I'm doing a 10k next weekend and hope to maintain that
    > same pace for around 49 min. Hopefully it will be a little warmer by then.

3. Amh

Amh Guest

[email protected] (Mike L) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > When I started running a year ago my first "goal" was to break 45 min for 5 miles. Yesterday I
    > finally broke the 40 min mark with 39:12! I'm doing a 10k next weekend and hope to maintain that

My first running goal was also regarding the 5 mile distance. After my first race, a 5 miler, I
    wanted to finish ahead of a neighbor who had beaten me by over 10 minutes. Well I beat my goal and
    still do just about every time I run 5 miles. I still have a soft spot for 5 milers. What a
    wonderful distance for a race. Long enough to make you think yet short enough that you still have
    to run fast.

Congrats! Andy

4. Doug Burke

Doug Burke Guest

Nice running Mike. I've found that in a "race"environment paces and effort are harder so the sub 49
    should be doable. Good Luck. Doug Burke

Mike L wrote:

5. Victoria

Victoria Guest

WAH HOO!!! great job!

Victoria

"Mike L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

6. Mike L

Mike L Guest

Thanks all. Moving from 9 to 8 min pace wasn't as hard as I expected. I wonder if 7 will be feasible
    a year from now? It certainly seems a much more difficult gain...but who knows? I'll be posting the
    outcome of my 10k next week. My first race! Thanks again for the encouragements.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
    >Nice running Mike. I've found that in a "race"environment paces and effort are harder so the sub 49
    >should be doable. Good Luck. Doug Burke
    >
    >Mike L wrote:
    >
    >> When I started running a year ago my first "goal" was to break 45 min for 5 miles. Yesterday I
    >> finally broke the 40 min mark with 39:12! I'm doing a 10k next weekend and hope to maintain that
    >> same pace for around 49 min. Hopefully it will be a little warmer by then.