Sub. for V-8 Juice?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Emma Thackery, Jan 14, 2006.

  1. I've developed an allergy to tomatoes. Agh. I am taking a multivitamin
    but I wondered if there was anything I might substitute for V-8 in the
    morning... like maybe 1/4 of a grapefruit with some Splenda on it? Or
    is that too high in carbs? I'd sure appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

    Emma

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    Emma Thackery <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I've developed an allergy to tomatoes. Agh. I am taking a multivitamin
    > but I wondered if there was anything I might substitute for V-8 in the
    > morning... like maybe 1/4 of a grapefruit with some Splenda on it? Or
    > is that too high in carbs? I'd sure appreciate any ideas. Thanks.
    >
    > Emma

    How about a cup of tea,

    and a protein shake? :)
    --
    Om.

  3. Hannah Gruen

    Hannah Gruen Guest

    "Emma Thackery" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I've developed an allergy to tomatoes. Agh. I am taking a multivitamin
    > but I wondered if there was anything I might substitute for V-8 in the
    > morning... like maybe 1/4 of a grapefruit with some Splenda on it? Or
    > is that too high in carbs? I'd sure appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

    Emma, I assume you are doing South Beach, since they call for V-8 for
    breakfast.

    First thing, V-8 is considered a vegetable selection, for dietary purposes.
    So substituting a fruit, with a higher % of sugar, wouldn't be equivalent.
    Grapefruit is relatively low in sugar compared to many other fruits, so it
    would be a better choice than most others. Berries are also low in sugar.

    Second, the objective of the initial 2 weeks of SB, I believe, is to keep
    carbohydrates pretty low. So you'd probably want to choose a substitute with
    an equivalent carb count. V-8 juice is 10 g for 8 oz. Grapefruit is 11 g for
    half a medium fruit.

    In order to get more veggies (which is the SB intent), you could also make a
    bed of slivered spinach, onion, and red bell pepper to put your morning
    soft-cooked eggs on. I do that occasionally and it's very good either raw,
    or with the greens barely wilted.

    HG

  4. Joe

    Joe Guest

    "Emma Thackery" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I've developed an allergy to tomatoes. Agh. I am taking a multivitamin
    > but I wondered if there was anything I might substitute for V-8 in the
    > morning... like maybe 1/4 of a grapefruit with some Splenda on it? Or
    > is that too high in carbs? I'd sure appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

    How about this:
    V8 Splash® Diet Berry Blend
    http://www.v8juice.com/splash.aspx?ProductID=2481
    8 oz..
    Total Carb. 3 g
    Vitamin A 100%
    Vitamin C 130%
    or maybe
    Tropicana Light Berry Blend (my favorite of the two)
    http://www.tropicana.com/TRP_ProductInformation/Detail.cfm?ProductID=87
    Total Carb. 3 g
    Vitamin C 100%

    > Emma

    They are both pretty good(IMO). My wife likes them and she not diabetic or
    doing the low-carb thing.
    --
    Joe
    T2 Nov '05

    *****Diabetes, be proactive, not reactive.*****

    This is how much people really care(click on link below)
    http://www.digitalfog.com/gallery/invasion.html

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Emma Thackery" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > I've developed an allergy to tomatoes. Agh. I am taking a multivitamin
    > > but I wondered if there was anything I might substitute for V-8 in the
    > > morning... like maybe 1/4 of a grapefruit with some Splenda on it? Or
    > > is that too high in carbs? I'd sure appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

    > How about this:
    > V8 Splash® Diet Berry Blend
    > http://www.v8juice.com/splash.aspx?ProductID=2481
    > 8 oz..
    > Total Carb. 3 g
    > Vitamin A 100%
    > Vitamin C 130%
    > or maybe
    > Tropicana Light Berry Blend (my favorite of the two)
    > http://www.tropicana.com/TRP_ProductInformation/Detail.cfm?ProductID=87
    > Total Carb. 3 g
    > Vitamin C 100%
    >
    > They are both pretty good(IMO). My wife likes them and she not diabetic or
    > doing the low-carb thing.

    Wow, that's great! Dummy me.... I had assumed that all V-8 had tomato
    in it and never bothered to look. I will definitely check that and the
    Tropicana out. Thank you so much :) I'm guessing it's probably gluten
    free too.

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Emma Thackery <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I've developed an allergy to tomatoes. Agh. I am taking a multivitamin
    > > but I wondered if there was anything I might substitute for V-8 in the
    > > morning... like maybe 1/4 of a grapefruit with some Splenda on it? Or
    > > is that too high in carbs? I'd sure appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

    > How about a cup of tea,
    >
    > and a protein shake? :)

    I'm sipping a cup of Ceylon BOP as I write this as tea is my fav
    beverage. Even when I'm most fatigued or cranky, a nice cup of tea
    always seems to give me a little lift. But, I was worrying about the
    lack of fruit... you know like maybe the food pyramid would cast a
    lightning bolt to strike me if I ate no fruit at all. :)

  7. Emma Thackery wrote:

    > But, I was worrying about the
    > lack of fruit... you know like maybe the food pyramid would cast a
    > lightning bolt to strike me if I ate no fruit at all. :)

    If this weren't ASDLC there'd be the fact that fruits and veggies
    are interchangible. Eat plenty of one and who cares if you ever
    touch any of the other. But this being ASDLC they aren't
    interchangible - fruits are veggies in pretty wrappers and extra
    sugar.

    Then again the food pyramid is a load of nonsense. If it hits
    you with a bolt gather up the material - it will make good
    compost for your garden.

  8. Tracey

    Tracey Guest

    "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > How about this:
    > V8 Splash® Diet Berry Blend
    > http://www.v8juice.com/splash.aspx?ProductID=2481
    > 8 oz..
    > Total Carb. 3 g
    > Vitamin A 100%
    > Vitamin C 130%
    > or maybe
    > Tropicana Light Berry Blend (my favorite of the two)
    > http://www.tropicana.com/TRP_ProductInformation/Detail.cfm?ProductID=87
    > Total Carb. 3 g
    > Vitamin C 100%
    >
    >> Emma

    > They are both pretty good(IMO). My wife likes them and she not diabetic or
    > doing the low-carb thing.

    But they are only like 10% juice. Regular V8 is 100% juice.

  9. Emma Thackery wrote:

    > I'm sipping a cup of Ceylon BOP as I write this as tea is my fav
    > beverage. Even when I'm most fatigued or cranky, a nice cup of tea
    > always seems to give me a little lift. But, I was worrying about the
    > lack of fruit... you know like maybe the food pyramid would cast a
    > lightning bolt to strike me if I ate no fruit at all. :)

    I'm on low-carb, but not *really* low-carb, so eat some minor amounts
    of fruit. Berries and melon tend to be relatively low-carb as fruits
    go. I tend to mix fruit with yogurt or ricotta, maybe some DaVinci
    syrup if it's a tart fruit (like cranberries). Makes a nice breakfast.

    I consider these amounts to be approximately equivalent at about 5-6 g
    CHO:

    1/2 cup whole fresh strawberries or cranberries
    1/4 cup thawed frozed unsweetened strawberries
    1/8 medium cantalope
    1/16 medium honeydew
    1/64 medium watermelon

    Lots of other berry and melon choices, these are just my faves so I
    have the info handy.

    In general, juice is not a good low-carb choice anyways - juice
    concentrates the sugars so there's lots more in an equivalent serving
    than if you eat the whole fruit or veggie instead.

  10. Joe

    Joe Guest

    "Tracey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> How about this:
    >> V8 Splash® Diet Berry Blend
    >> http://www.v8juice.com/splash.aspx?ProductID=2481
    >> 8 oz..
    >> Total Carb. 3 g
    >> Vitamin A 100%
    >> Vitamin C 130%
    >> or maybe
    >> Tropicana Light Berry Blend (my favorite of the two)
    >> http://www.tropicana.com/TRP_ProductInformation/Detail.cfm?ProductID=87
    >> Total Carb. 3 g
    >> Vitamin C 100%
    >>
    >>> Emma

    >> They are both pretty good(IMO). My wife likes them and she not diabetic
    >> or doing the low-carb thing.

    > But they are only like 10% juice. Regular V8 is 100% juice.

    It's the price you pay to limit your carbs.

    --
    Joe
    T2 Nov '05
    30mg Actos,3gr Cinnamon, Diet(100 carbs) & 3 mile walk(everyday) &
    BowFlex(3x a week)

    *****Diabetes, be proactive, not reactive.*****

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > Emma Thackery wrote:
    >
    > > I'm sipping a cup of Ceylon BOP as I write this as tea is my fav
    > > beverage. Even when I'm most fatigued or cranky, a nice cup of tea
    > > always seems to give me a little lift. But, I was worrying about the
    > > lack of fruit... you know like maybe the food pyramid would cast a
    > > lightning bolt to strike me if I ate no fruit at all. :)

    > I'm on low-carb, but not *really* low-carb, so eat some minor amounts
    > of fruit. Berries and melon tend to be relatively low-carb as fruits
    > go. I tend to mix fruit with yogurt or ricotta, maybe some DaVinci
    > syrup if it's a tart fruit (like cranberries). Makes a nice breakfast.
    >
    > I consider these amounts to be approximately equivalent at about 5-6 g
    > CHO:
    >
    > 1/2 cup whole fresh strawberries or cranberries
    > 1/4 cup thawed frozed unsweetened strawberries
    > 1/8 medium cantalope
    > 1/16 medium honeydew
    > 1/64 medium watermelon
    >
    > Lots of other berry and melon choices, these are just my faves so I
    > have the info handy.
    >
    > In general, juice is not a good low-carb choice anyways - juice
    > concentrates the sugars so there's lots more in an equivalent serving
    > than if you eat the whole fruit or veggie instead.

    Thanks so much for the informative response! Normally, I am not a
    "juice" person at all. We have our own fruit trees even. But it's
    winter here and our blackberries are dormant. I can't always find fresh
    strawberries either---and the deer have twice wiped our our
    strawberries. Go figure, they eat only the tenderest tips of the
    blackberry vines but practically rip out the strawberries by their
    roots... damn deer. But I had forgotten about frozen unsweetened
    berries, so thanks! We eat a wide range of veggies but it's still nice
    to have a few berries a couple times a week anyway. I made some SF
    jello blended with Neufchatel and just a few chopped strawberries and it
    was just really delicious. I just love your little chart as I need all
    the help I can get. :)

    Emma

  12. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Emma Thackery wrote:

    :: Thanks so much for the informative response! Normally, I am not a
    :: "juice" person at all. We have our own fruit trees even. But it's
    :: winter here and our blackberries are dormant. I can't always find
    :: fresh strawberries either---and the deer have twice wiped our our
    :: strawberries. Go figure, they eat only the tenderest tips of the
    :: blackberry vines but practically rip out the strawberries by their
    :: roots... damn deer. But I had forgotten about frozen unsweetened
    :: berries, so thanks! We eat a wide range of veggies but it's still
    :: nice to have a few berries a couple times a week anyway. I made
    :: some SF jello blended with Neufchatel and just a few chopped
    :: strawberries and it was just really delicious. I just love your
    :: little chart as I need all the help I can get. :)

    Hey, deer is low carb!!! Let them eat the berries and you eat the deer!

    Here deerie, deerie....