Subpoenas Issued in Cycling Inquiry



jhuskey

Moderator
Oct 6, 2003
10,606
678
113
roadhouse said:
Federal prosecutor to boost investigation into Landis doping claims

If Landis’ claims are substantiated by others and found to be true, prison sentences could be one possible outcome of the USPS team investigation. That would most likely depend on Novitzky being able to show that fraud was committed. As the US Postal team was essentially funded by taxpayers’ money, any evidence that shows such funding was used inappropriately could have very serious consequences.

As I said plausible and possible but no one is going to jail today and we know very little as yet.
Too many questions and not many answers and media information is generally flawed.
 

roadhouse

New Member
Aug 2, 2009
2,687
4
0
jhuskey said:
As I said plausible and possible but no one is going to jail today and we know very little as yet.
Too many questions and not many answers and media information is generally flawed.

all i can tell from any of what has been said so far is that this fraud case, the US taxpayer's money being misused, e.g. for doping, is about the only thing the federal investigation has just cause to look into. nothing will come from any past doping allegations unless it comes from this first.
 

roadhouse

New Member
Aug 2, 2009
2,687
4
0
and yours is the first i'm hearing of any such bikes being provided by Trek being sold to purchase banned substances. sounds pretty out there, do you have a link?
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
220
63
I don't live in the USA, so I don't know the extent or limit to which the civil authorities can act in such an investigation there.
I suspect that they have quite draconian powers.

But let's be clear.

When the civil authorities is Spain (Puerto) and France (Voet) uncovered the plots, the entire doping edifice in those cases imploded.

Fans should welcome the intervention of the civil authorities in any/all jurisdictions because ultimately neither cyclists/teams/managers/sport, are prepared to do what is necessary to try to clean up the sport.
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
220
63
roadhouse said:
and yours is the first i'm hearing of any such bikes being provided by Trek being sold to purchase banned substances. sounds pretty out there, do you have a link?

Selling bikes to fund doping was mentioned on another thread on this site over the weekend.
 

jhuskey

Moderator
Oct 6, 2003
10,606
678
113
The possible civil suits to reclaim funds is where the real damage may be done. In my opinion, that is.If fraud is established then winning in a civil proceeding would be easy.
 

jhuskey

Moderator
Oct 6, 2003
10,606
678
113
Too bad Jan's book isn't ready. It would probably be a good time for release.
I hear he is working on it.
 

pennstater

New Member
May 5, 2010
323
4
0
limerickman said:
I don't live in the USA, so I don't know the extent or limit to which the civil authorities can act in such an investigation there.
I suspect that they have quite draconian powers.

Yes, its the Federal Government. If they "want" to bring you down they will. They have unlimited resources, both people and money.
 

swampy1970

Well-Known Member
Feb 3, 2008
10,098
428
83
Bro Deal said:
There is more than just that. FLandis has said that when he joined Phonak, Ochowicz arranged to have him set up a Swiss bank account with UBS so that he could evade U.S. taxes. Ochowicz has a long relationship with Armstrong and U.S. cycling. He has worked for Armstrong's patron, Tom Wiesel, managing the money of high worth individuals. It is reasonable to assume that Landis was not the first cyclist he advised to setup foreign bank accounts. There could be a huge can of worms there.

Did you actually read what this current investigation is about or do you spend hours just looking for random stuff about Armstrong and people that he's worked with?

I do recall that skinny guy in your avatar having a long relationship with Ochowicz... he rode on a team managed by him, remember? Given that he's got business abroad maybe Jim set up a bank account for him. ;) Och also worked for Phonak, hence the Landis connection... Och also worked for Motorola - but never Postal. Maybe we should subpoena Bobski given that he worked with Ochowicz a "few" years ago... that'd give Phil and Paul something to chat about on next years Tour commentary.

Oh... you brought up Ochowicz, why?
 

Bro Deal

New Member
Jun 26, 2006
6,698
4
0
swampy1970 said:
Did you actually read what this current investigation is about or do you spend hours just looking for random stuff about Armstrong and people that he's worked with?

I do recall that skinny guy in your avatar having a long relationship with Ochowicz... he rode on a team managed by him, remember? Given that he's got business abroad maybe Jim set up a bank account for him. ;) Och also worked for Phonak, hence the Landis connection... Och also worked for Motorola - but never Postal. Maybe we should subpoena Bobski given that he worked with Ochowicz a "few" years ago... that'd give Phil and Paul something to chat about on next years Tour commentary.

Oh... you brought up Ochowicz, why?

Oh, has the doping apologist gotten his panties in a wad again. You must spend a lot of time these days digging them out of your crack.

Part of the latest revelations from Landis is that Oshowicz tried to help him evade U.S. taxes. The bank Oshowicz was going to use was UBS, which recently admitted to hiding assets for Americans. There is now a deal in place for the U.S. to obtain information from Swiss banks about Americans hidden assets. Looking into this is a natural line of investigation, especially since the lead investigator used to investigate for the IRS.