substitute for 700 D GT tires or wheels?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ResearchGeek, Feb 24, 2005.

  1. ResearchGeek

    ResearchGeek Guest

    I'm looking at this problem:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/587.html
    "We carried tires in this size as long as we coud get them, but the supply
    has been exhausted."
    Do you think getting the "slightly too small" clinchers could work?
    How about putting a standard set of wheels on the bike?
    Thanks,
    PS note that my email address is a spam trap.

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    ResearchGeek wrote:
    > I'm looking at this problem:
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/587.html
    > "We carried tires in this size as long as we coud get them, but the supply
    > has been exhausted."
    > Do you think getting the "slightly too small" clinchers could work?
    > How about putting a standard set of wheels on the bike?

    Yes a different wheel size and rebraze the brake mounts.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  3. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    A Muzi wrote:

    > ResearchGeek wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking at this problem:
    >> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/587.html
    >> "We carried tires in this size as long as we coud get them, but the
    >> supply has been exhausted."
    >> Do you think getting the "slightly too small" clinchers could work?
    >> How about putting a standard set of wheels on the bike?

    > Yes a different wheel size and rebraze the brake mounts.

    Would not ISO 584-mm (650 B) wheels work with only a minor brake pad
    adjustment?

    --
    Tom Sherman – Earth

  4. Vee

    Vee Guest

    I know of a shop that has 700d tires (several widths and tread styles),
    but they're very expensive. Email me if you want more info.
    -Vee

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Tom Sherman wrote:
    > Would not ISO 584-mm (650 B) wheels work with only a minor brake pad
    > adjustment?

    Technically, yes, but then you're back to a poorly supported
    size. Outside urban areas 650B is nonexistant. 26-decimals
    (-559) at any XMart or hardware store, a compelling feature
    for the sorts of bikes that were 700D.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  6. Gary S.

    Gary S. Guest

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:21:54 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >> A Muzi wrote:
    >>> Yes a different wheel size and rebraze the brake mounts.

    >Tom Sherman wrote:
    >> Would not ISO 584-mm (650 B) wheels work with only a minor brake pad
    >> adjustment?

    >Technically, yes, but then you're back to a poorly supported
    >size. Outside urban areas 650B is nonexistant. 26-decimals
    >(-559) at any XMart or hardware store, a compelling feature
    >for the sorts of bikes that were 700D.

    Sheldon Brown has a rep for solving all sorts of complex mechanical
    bicycle problems. If he is saying something is difficult, an easy
    solution is doubtful.

    Happy trails,
    Gary (net.yogi.bear)
    --
    At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

    Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

  7. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    bfd wrote:
    > But there is a "movement" taking place to revive the 584mm (650B) as a
    > viable option. ... Further,
    > there is a society in France with over a thousand members who also use
    > 650B tires.

    I always thought it would be cool to retire to a home with address
    "650B Randonneur Way"

    Mark Janeba

  8. ResearchGeek

    ResearchGeek Guest

    Thanks, everyone, for answering so rapidly. The 650B sounds viable.
    Enjoy,
    "ResearchGeek" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'm looking at this problem:
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/587.html
    > "We carried tires in this size as long as we coud get them, but the supply
    > has been exhausted."
    > Do you think getting the "slightly too small" clinchers could work?
    > How about putting a standard set of wheels on the bike?

  9. Remo Peter

    Remo Peter New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2012
    I happened to come across a pair of unused GT 700D x 1.40 tyres. Can be collected in Zürich, Switzerland. I do not ship internationally.