substitute for a dutch oven?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ben, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Can I use a regular pot instead of a dutch oven? Could I
    just stick a regular pot inside an oven? What's the
    advantage of a dutch oven? (I have a recipe that calls for a
    dutch oven but don't have one or time to get one).

    Thanks, Ben

    --
    "What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"

    Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite
    (http://www.onesuite.com).
    2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No
    monthly or connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643
    for 20 free minutes.

    Tags:

  2. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >Can I use a regular pot instead of a dutch oven? Could I
    >just stick a regular pot inside an oven? What's the
    >advantage of a dutch oven? (I have a recipe that calls for
    >a dutch oven but don't have one or time to get one).
    >
    >Thanks, Ben

    Very few have an actual dutch oven, a heavy cast iron pot,
    usually with legs, so it could be stood directly into the
    bed of a fire, with its lid configured so that the pot could
    be covered under a heap of glowing embers.. called an oven
    as it was used as a baking chamber, not a stew pot... the
    dutch oven has come to mean any large pot with a lid, but no
    longer used for baking... these days a dutch oven means stew
    pot, not even necessary to be oven pruf.

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  3. Ben

    Ben Guest

    PENMART01 wrote:

    >>Can I use a regular pot instead of a dutch oven? Could I
    >>just stick a regular pot inside an oven? What's the
    >>advantage of a dutch oven? (I have a recipe that calls for
    >>a dutch oven but don't have one or time to get one).
    >>
    > Very few have an actual dutch oven, a heavy cast iron pot,
    > usually with legs, so it could be stood directly into the
    > bed of a fire, with its lid configured so that the pot
    > could be covered under a heap of glowing embers.. called
    > an oven as it was used as a baking chamber, not a stew
    > pot... the dutch oven has come to mean any large pot with
    > a lid, but no longer used for baking... these days a dutch
    > oven means stew pot, not even necessary to be oven pruf.

    Ah. Then I think I already have one (a large pot that is). I
    was getting worried that I needed some specialized kind of
    pot (I looked up the definition in Encarta online).

    Thanks, Ben

    --
    "What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"

    Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite
    (http://www.onesuite.com).
    2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No
    monthly or connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643
    for 20 free minutes.

  4. Bubbablue

    Bubbablue Guest

    ben <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Can I use a regular pot instead of a dutch oven? Could I
    > just stick a regular pot inside an oven? What's the
    > advantage of a dutch oven? (I have a recipe that calls for
    > a dutch oven but don't have one or time to get one).
    >
    > Thanks, Ben

    Some pot lids and handles can't go into the oven - the
    plastic parts can melt. If you still have the literature
    that came with your pot, it should say whether it is oven-
    safe and to what temperature. Also check on the bottom
    of the pot.

    FWIW, I've been cooking for 30 years and only last year did
    I find that what Americans call a Dutch Oven is completely
    different than what we call it. I've always used a large oven-
    safe pot with no problems.

    wd39

  5. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 22:31:58 -0500, ben <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Can I use a regular pot instead of a dutch oven? Could I
    >just stick a regular pot inside an oven? What's the
    >advantage of a dutch oven? (I have a recipe that calls for
    >a dutch oven but don't have one or time to get one).

    A 'Dutch oven' in current cooking is a large, heavy pot with
    a cover -- all parts oven-proof. The advantage is the heat-
    retaining and -distribution characteristics of something
    like cast iron. And, of course, a lid that keeps steam
    inside the pot.

    There was a program on FoodTV last night featuring Salt Lake
    City with a segment on DOGs -- Dutch Oven Gatherings. They
    have cooking contests using *real* Dutch ovens -- the cast
    iron pots on legs with indented lids meant to be used over
    campfires. Everything from crown roast of pork to chocolate
    cake. Amazing!

  6. ben wrote:

    > Can I use a regular pot instead of a dutch oven? Could I
    > just stick a regular pot inside an oven? What's the
    > advantage of a dutch oven? (I have a recipe that calls for
    > a dutch oven but don't have one or time to get one).

    Being made of cast iron, the dutch oven is able to retain
    and more evenly distribute heat than a pot made of any other
    material used for pots.

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]> Visit the Infobahn
    Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce> "What do you care

  7. Frogleg wrote:

    > There was a program on FoodTV last night featuring Salt
    > Lake City with a segment on DOGs -- Dutch Oven Gatherings.
    > They have cooking contests using *real* Dutch ovens -- the
    > cast iron pots on legs with indented lids meant to be used
    > over campfires.

    Speaking of those lids, can you buy *just* the lid
    anywhere? My DO came with a rounded lid and no legs on the
    bottom (Xmas present). I would love to get the indented lid
    as well so that I can take it camping and put coals on to
    when cooking.

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]> Visit the Infobahn
    Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce> "What do you care
    what other people think, Mr. Feynman?"

  8. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
    > Frogleg wrote:
    >
    >> There was a program on FoodTV last night featuring Salt
    >> Lake City with a segment on DOGs -- Dutch Oven
    >> Gatherings. They have cooking contests using *real* Dutch
    >> ovens -- the cast iron pots on legs with indented lids
    >> meant to be used over campfires.
    >
    > Speaking of those lids, can you buy *just* the lid
    > anywhere? My DO came with a rounded lid and no legs on the
    > bottom (Xmas present). I would love to get the indented
    > lid as well so that I can take it camping and put coals on
    > to when cooking.

    Yes, check the Lodge cast iron website under "dutch ovens".
    They sell just the lids. They call them 'covers' and they
    come in a variety of sizes.

    Jill

  9. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
    > Frogleg wrote:
    >

    >>There was a program on FoodTV last night featuring Salt
    >>Lake City with a segment on DOGs -- Dutch Oven Gatherings.
    >>They have cooking contests using *real* Dutch ovens -- the
    >>cast iron pots on legs with indented lids meant to be used
    >>over campfires.
    >

    > Speaking of those lids, can you buy *just* the lid
    > anywhere? My DO came with a rounded lid and no legs on the
    > bottom (Xmas present). I would love to get the indented
    > lid as well so that I can take it camping and put coals on
    > to when cooking.

    I checked out Lodge and they don't seem to sell the outdoor
    lids separately for some reason. They do sell the indoor
    lids though. Send them a note or give a call and ask, it
    can't hurt. https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product.-
    asp?idProduct=2821&menu=Outdoor

    Here's some pics of the original style of DO's. Using one
    definitely requires some different techniques than anything
    in a modern kitchen.

    --
    Steve

  10. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Steve Calvin wrote:
    > Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
    >> Frogleg wrote:
    >>

    >>> There was a program on FoodTV last night featuring Salt
    >>> Lake City with a segment on DOGs -- Dutch Oven
    >>> Gatherings. They have cooking contests using *real*
    >>> Dutch ovens -- the cast iron pots on legs with indented
    >>> lids meant to be used over campfires.
    >>

    >> Speaking of those lids, can you buy *just* the lid
    >> anywhere? My DO came with a rounded lid and no legs on
    >> the bottom (Xmas present). I would love to get the
    >> indented lid as well so that I can take it camping and
    >> put coals on to when cooking.
    >>

    > I checked out Lodge and they don't seem to sell the
    > outdoor lids separately for some reason.

    I beg to differ; yes they do. Iron 'covers' they call them
    and they have anywhere from 8" to 13-14" diameter covers.

    Jill

  11. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    > Steve Calvin wrote:
    >
    >>Darryl L. Pierce wrote:

    >>>Speaking of those lids, can you buy *just* the lid
    >>>anywhere? My DO came with a rounded lid and no legs on
    >>>the bottom (Xmas present). I would love to get the
    >>>indented lid as well so that I can take it camping and
    >>>put coals on to when cooking.
    >>>

    >>I checked out Lodge and they don't seem to sell the
    >>outdoor lids separately for some reason.
    >

    > I beg to differ; yes they do. Iron 'covers' they call them
    > and they have anywhere from 8" to 13-14" diameter covers.
    >
    > Jill

    Yes, they do sell iron "covers" but.. there is no way that
    they are the traditional covers used to hold coals on top of
    the unit for cooking. They are rounded, at least every one
    that I saw, and no way will they hold coals.

    --
    Steve

  12. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    Steve Calvin wrote:

    > jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >> Steve Calvin wrote:

    <snip>

    >>> I checked out Lodge and they don't seem to sell the
    >>> outdoor lids separately for some reason.
    >>

    >> I beg to differ; yes they do. Iron 'covers' they call
    >> them and they have anywhere from 8" to 13-14" diameter
    >> covers.
    >>
    >> Jill
    >>

    > Yes, they do sell iron "covers" but.. there is no way that
    > they are the traditional covers used to hold coals on top
    > of the unit for cooking. They are rounded, at least every
    > one that I saw, and no way will they hold coals.

    Found 'em... If you go to the "Outdoor" tab and then pick
    "Outdoor Gear" they do have the actual covers used for
    outdoor cooking.

    --
    Steve

  13. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Steve Calvin wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >> Steve Calvin wrote:

    >>> I checked out Lodge and they don't seem to sell the
    >>> outdoor lids separately for some reason.
    >>

    >> I beg to differ; yes they do. Iron 'covers' they call
    >> them and they have anywhere from 8" to 13-14" diameter
    >> covers.
    >>
    >> Jill
    >>

    > Yes, they do sell iron "covers" but.. there is no way that
    > they are the traditional covers used to hold coals on top
    > of the unit for cooking. They are rounded, at least every
    > one that I saw, and no way will they hold coals.

    Silly me, when I went camping I always just turned the lid
    upside down and put the coals on the top :)

    Jill

  14. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    jmcquown wrote: <snip

    >>Yes, they do sell iron "covers" but.. there is no way that
    >>they are the traditional covers used to hold coals on top
    >>of the unit for cooking. They are rounded, at least every
    >>one that I saw, and no way will they hold coals.
    >

    > Silly me, when I went camping I always just turned the lid
    > upside down and put the coals on the top :)
    >
    > Jill

    Awww, now come on Jill... that'd make WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY to
    much sense! ;-)

    --
    Steve

  15. Themom1

    Themom1 Guest

    I just realized we have a "true" Dutch Oven. We've never
    used it and haven't even seasoned it yet!

    --
    Helen

    Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the
    only begotten Son of God is the object of our faith; the
    only faith that saves is faith in Him

    <>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com
    http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

    http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html

    http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html

    225/187.4/145

    "PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m21.aol.com...
    > >Can I use a regular pot instead of a dutch oven? Could I
    > >just stick a regular pot inside an oven? What's the
    > >advantage of a dutch oven? (I
    have
    > >a recipe that calls for a dutch oven but don't have one
    > >or time to get
    one).

  16. jmcquown wrote:

    >> Yes, they do sell iron "covers" but.. there is no way
    >> that they are the traditional covers used to hold
    >> coals on top of the unit for cooking. They are
    >> rounded, at least every one that I saw, and no way
    >> will they hold coals.
    >
    > Silly me, when I went camping I always just turned the lid
    > upside down and put the coals on the top :)

    I was thinking about that, but thought that you then lose
    the benefit of the nipples on the inside of the lid for
    distributing juice. And, how do take the lid off without
    either spilling coals into the food or setting your glove on
    fire since the handle's now on the inside?

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]> Visit the Infobahn
    Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce> "What do you care
    what other people think, Mr. Feynman?"

  17. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
    > > Frogleg wrote:
    > >
    > >> There was a program on FoodTV last night featuring Salt
    > >> Lake City with a segment on DOGs -- Dutch Oven
    > >> Gatherings. They have cooking contests using *real*
    > >> Dutch ovens -- the cast iron pots on legs with indented
    > >> lids meant to be used over campfires.
    > >
    > > Speaking of those lids, can you buy *just* the lid
    > > anywhere? My DO came with a rounded lid and no legs on
    > > the bottom (Xmas present). I would love to get the
    > > indented lid as well so that I can take it camping and
    > > put coals on to when cooking.
    >
    > Yes, check the Lodge cast iron website under "dutch
    > ovens". They sell just the lids. They call them 'covers'
    > and they come in a variety of sizes.
    >
    > Jill

    What is the Lodge website? I need to try to find a lid to
    fit a #14 Griswold cast iron skillet!

    Thanks!
    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  18. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Katra wrote:

    > What is the Lodge website? I need to try to find a lid to
    > fit a #14 Griswold cast iron skillet!
    >
    > Thanks!
    > K.

    Home Page http://www.lodgemfg.com/

    Skillets and lids...largest seems to be a 13 1/4" https://s-
    ecure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product.asp?idProduct=2783

    But they do have a lid for a 14" Dutch oven: https://se-
    cure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/products.asp?idDept=1267&m-
    enu=Outdoor

  19. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    " BOB" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Katra wrote:
    > >
    > > What is the Lodge website? I need to try to find a lid
    > > to fit a #14 Griswold cast iron skillet!
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > K.
    > >

    > Home Page http://www.lodgemfg.com/
    >
    > Skillets and lids...largest seems to be a 13 1/4" https:/-
    > /secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product.asp?idProduct=2783
    >
    > But they do have a lid for a 14" Dutch oven: https://sec-
    > ure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/products.asp?idDept=1267&men-
    > u=Outdoor

    That would probably work, thanks! :) I'm currently using a
    #12 DO lid for my #12 skillet. Works fine.

    Thank you!!!!!

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  20. Blake Murphy

    Blake Murphy Guest

    On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 08:32:23 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>

    >I beg to differ; yes they do. Iron 'covers' they call them
    >and they have anywhere from 8" to 13-14" diameter covers.
    >
    >Jill

    i thought a dutch oven was a footed cast iron pan and weird-
    ass lid so that you could bake things with it using a
    campfire. at least that's what it was in my boy scout days
    (stop snickering).

    your pal, baden-baden