Substitute for Kaffir Lime Leaves?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Donna Rose, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    Does anyone know what I can substitute for Kaffir lime
    leaves? I found a recipe for an interesting Kaffir Lime
    Aioli and I'd love to make it but I don't have a source for
    the leaves. Do they taste like limes? Will lime zest work
    in a pinch?
    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
    hopes they are.

    Tags:

  2. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:31:16 GMT, Donna Rose
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone know what I can substitute for Kaffir lime
    >leaves? I found a recipe for an interesting Kaffir Lime
    >Aioli and I'd love to make it but I don't have a source for
    >the leaves. Do they taste like limes? Will lime zest work
    >in a pinch?

    There's really no substitute. You could use lime zest,
    that's what most books say, but I don't agree. Kaffir
    imparts more of an aroma (also essential to overall flavor)
    than a specific taste.

    -sw

  3. Pete Romfh

    Pete Romfh Guest

    Donna Rose wrote:
    > Does anyone know what I can substitute for Kaffir lime
    > leaves? I found a recipe for an interesting Kaffir Lime
    > Aioli and I'd love to make it but I don't have a source
    > for the leaves. Do they taste like limes? Will lime zest
    > work in a pinch?

    Donna; I'll swap you some leaves for the recipe. I've got a
    Kaffir Lime tree in the yard. Contact me off the group and
    I'll get your addy.

    --
    Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet. promfh at
    Texas dot net

  4. "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:31:16 GMT, Donna Rose
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Does anyone know what I can substitute for Kaffir lime
    > >leaves? I found a recipe for an interesting Kaffir Lime
    > >Aioli and I'd love to make it but I don't have a source
    > >for the leaves. Do they taste like limes? Will lime zest
    > >work in a pinch?
    >
    > There's really no substitute. You could use lime zest,
    > that's what most books say, but I don't agree. Kaffir
    > imparts more of an aroma (also essential to overall
    > flavor) than a specific taste.
    >
    > -sw

    One is hard pressed to find a single thread without your
    input....sheesh. And I thought Jill McQuown needed to get
    a life.....

  5. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "projectile vomit chick" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    > > On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:31:16 GMT, Donna Rose
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Does anyone know what I can substitute for Kaffir lime
    > > >leaves? I found a recipe for an interesting Kaffir Lime
    > > >Aioli and I'd love to make it but I don't have a source
    > > >for the leaves. Do they taste like limes? Will lime
    > > >zest work in a pinch?
    > >
    > > There's really no substitute. You could use lime zest,
    > > that's what most books say, but I don't agree. Kaffir
    > > imparts more of an aroma (also essential to overall
    > > flavor) than a specific taste.
    > >
    > > -sw
    > >

    > One is hard pressed to find a single thread without your
    > input....sheesh. And I thought Jill McQuown needed to get
    > a life.....

    And how many lists do _you_ post to ms. reality? :) Thought
    I left you behind at rec.drugs.psychedelics...

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  6. Levelwave©

    Levelwave© Guest

    projectile vomit chick wrote:

    > One is hard pressed to find a single thread without your
    > input....sheesh. And I thought Jill McQuown needed to get
    > a life.....

    It's like the snotty kid in Sunday School who tells on those
    who do not close their eyes during the prayer.

    ~john

  7. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "Katra" <

    <snip>

    : >
    :
    : And how many lists do _you_ post to ms. reality? :)
    : Thought I left you behind at rec.drugs.psychedelics...
    :
    : K.
    ===============

    Katra, you'll probably just need to killfile (block) vomit
    chick... her (?) posts are a total waste of bandwidth.
    Shoot, unless somebody else's posts includes her vulgar
    statements... I don't see them and I don't miss them!

    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

  8. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:09:40 GMT, "projectile vomit chick"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >One is hard pressed to find a single thread without your
    >input....sheesh. And I thought Jill McQuown needed to get a
    >life.....

    <boggle> This coming from someone who must be taking the
    time to read all the threads in the first place.

    Yet another quality post courtesy of PVC.

    Can you imagine taking PVC home to meet mother? "Mom -
    This is Projectile Vomit Chick. Projectile Vomit Chick -
    this is Mom."

    -sw