subtract head stem length = add top tube length?

eortiz

Nov 12, 2003
Just curious. If you were to ride a longer top tube bike (say 1 cm) than you normally would does that mean the head stem on it will be shorter by 1 cm also and that would be the same as like you were riding your normal bike? Thanks

eortiz said:
Just curious. If you were to ride a longer top tube bike (say 1 cm) than you normally would does that mean the head stem on it will be shorter by 1 cm also and that would be the same as like you were riding your normal bike? Thanks

That would only be true if the saddle height and fore-aft were the same to give the same handlebar-to-saddle measurement. Even then, there may be significant differences because of bike geometry and factors such as crank length, handlebar height, etc.

That's right! COnsidering everything else that you mentioned is the same, I guess (theoreticaly) the ride will be the same with the top tube length increased to compensate for the shorter head stem.

I went the other way. I left the stem and brought the seat forward 13mm by using a zero offset setpost.

gclark8 said:
I went the other way. I left the stem and brought the seat forward 13mm by using a zero offset setpost.

But didn't that change your leg angle, or was the change minimal?

gclark8 said:
To be fair. The reason I asked the question at first is, after riding for some time now. I noticed I was riding further back. In fact, I pushed my saddle all the way back. Anyway, what do you mean "zero offset seat post"? Liek what brand?

eortiz said:
To be fair. The reason I asked the question at first is, after riding for some time now. I noticed I was riding further back. In fact, I pushed my saddle all the way back. Anyway, what do you mean "zero offset seat post"? Liek what brand?

Ex: Thompson .. the saddle is centered with the axle of the post