Such thing as burning 900 kcalories/hour?

Steve McGregor said:
Well, I certainly don't want to poach an athlete from another coach, but I agree with Beerco, that I wouldn't want your potential talent wasted on frivolous pursuits. I doubt if I would have you spend much time in the weight room, and I certainly wouldn't attibute much of your power at threshold to weight lifting. I'd be interested to see one of your powerfiles if you could shoot it to me offlist.

Thanks
Steve

i agree with Steve and Beerco, it's highly unlikely that the weights will be beneficial and most likely that they're detrimental to performance. At 6.3 W/kg you're already world class, and not far off being able to set a new Hour Record. In fact if you can hold 6.3 W/kg on a standard track bike (non-aero) for an Hour and have a good position, then you'll crack the current Hour Record (the Superman Record is 6.4+ W/kg), the latter Boardman record is less than this (which he set at the end of his career). feel free to email one of your power files to me, and if you like i'll take a look

cheers
ric

I sent both of you a email with some files. Thanks for the interest. Hope this stuff means something to you guys. I remember reading a article that Jonathan Vaughters wrote about taking a test and getting on a Euro Pro Team, if only it were that easy....

ric_stern/RST said:
i agree with Steve and Beerco, it's highly unlikely that the weights will be beneficial and most likely that they're detrimental to performance. At 6.3 W/kg you're already world class, and not far off being able to set a new Hour Record. In fact if you can hold 6.3 W/kg on a standard track bike (non-aero) for an Hour and have a good position, then you'll crack the current Hour Record (the Superman Record is 6.4+ W/kg), the latter Boardman record is less than this (which he set at the end of his career). feel free to email one of your power files to me, and if you like i'll take a look

cheers
ric

OKpro said:
I sent both of you a email with some files. Thanks for the interest. Hope this stuff means something to you guys. I remember reading a article that Jonathan Vaughters wrote about taking a test and getting on a Euro Pro Team, if only it were that easy....

Omer,

Thanks for the files. where are you based (which country)?

Cheers
ric

OKpro said:
Alright guys, here is the info. My name is Omer Kem. I turned 22yrs old in October of this year and I weighed 144lbs this morning when I weighed myself. Steve, what is your email address?

Hey,

Was watching the ToC from yesterday and thought the name looked familiar.

Congrats on the TV time!

beerco said:
Hey,

Congrats on the TV time!

Funny...I also thought of this thread when I saw Omer's name in the results!

Omer (if you're still around): are you one of the three fellows on Priority Health that Frank Overton mentioned had VO2max values of ~80 mL/min/kg?

beerco said:
Hey,

Congrats on the TV time!
hey, way to dig up an old thread! I mean that in the most positive way possible. :)

Very cool.

-Eric

How cool is this?

I guess what I wanna know is... What did Omer's power files look like, Ric?

--Steve

I got confused. OKpro talked about writting an article for the 2005 season. I was like wtf???? :D

Bullseye_blam said:
hey, way to dig up an old thread! I mean that in the most positive way possible. :)

Very cool.

-Eric

Smartt/RST said:
That's exactly right. A HR monitor uses a calculation based on the linear relationship between HR and O2 kinetics. However, Polar themselves acknowledge the high degree of variablitliy in their products prediction of calories used, especially when the effort is varied (as is typical when cycling outdoors, especially over rolling terrain or when with a group). A power meter will give you a very accurate, measured (rather than predicted) amount of calories used.
How many cal/hr you are using is highly influenced by your mass as well as your intensity - the larger the cyclist, the more energy is required to move down the road, uphill or flat (but not downhill ;) ).
"A power meter will give you a very accurate, measured (rather than predicted) amount of calories used."

A power meter is also estimating an efficiency (a 20% range???) plus it's own inaccuracy. I wouldn't call it "very accurate" for calories. - TF

Terry Ferguson said:
"A power meter will give you a very accurate, measured (rather than predicted) amount of calories used."

A power meter is also estimating an efficiency (a 20% range???) plus it's own inaccuracy. I wouldn't call it "very accurate" for calories. - TF
Terry,

What the power meter gives you is a number, in KiloJoules, that measures the amount of work that you did.

The estimation comes in estimating your own body's efficiency while converting that number to calories.

Missed you on Sunday...

Hope all is well.

Jim

So out of intrest. For an average man say 11 stone and 5' 11, how fast would you average for a solo ride at 280 watts? What im realy asking is what do the pros average (in speed) for a 4-6 hour training ride if they were to ride solo?

ric_stern/RST said:
I would guess you'd have to ask Omer on that, as, until i had his go ahead the data would be confidential.

ric
Data from two years ago confidential? Everyone who races him knows if he is fast or not.

Let us mere mortals see some cool power figures..............Please :(

Paulie-AU said:
Data from two years ago confidential? Everyone who races him knows if he is fast or not.

Let us mere mortals see some cool power figures..............Please :(

I couldn't care less if it was from yesterday or 20 years ago. He sent me the files, and at the time i said i would keep the data confidential. It will remain so until he tells me otherwise. If he doesn't tell me, it would stay confidential.

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
I couldn't care less if it was from yesterday or 20 years ago. He sent me the files, and at the time i said i would keep the data confidential. It will remain so until he tells me otherwise. If he doesn't tell me, it would stay confidential.

ric
That's just basic professionalism in my books.

We have all benefitted from the insights published by the likes of Ric or Andy Coggan (i.e. sports scientists) which have come in part from those top athletes willing to share their data on the basis that it remains confidential. Lose that trust and we all lose.

for example - how else would we have power profiling?