Sudden Cardiac Death and Aspartame by neurosurgeon Russell Blaylock, M.D.

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Betty Martini via MedKB.com, Feb 27, 2005.

  1. Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:13:02 -0500

    From: "Dr. Betty Martini,D.Hum." <[email protected]>
    Subject: For Immediate Release - Sudden Cardiac Death - Role of
    Aspartame in death of Athletes by Russell Blaylock, M.D. Contact
    Dr. Betty Martini, 770 242-2599

    Sudden cardiac Death : The Role of Aspartame. MSG and Other Excitotoxins

    By Russell L. Blaylock, M.D.

    Over 460,000 people per year are now dying of a disorder called of sudden
    cardiac death according to CDC statistics. This is a condition striking
    otherwise healthy people, who have experienced no obvious symptoms of heart
    disease prior to their deaths. An alarming number of these deaths are
    occurring in young athletes, both in high schools, colleges, as well as
    among professional athletes.
    While cardiologists have found coronary disease and suspect previous scars
    from silent heart attacks in a number of these individuals, one mechanism
    is getting no attention at all, and that is excitotoxic damage caused by
    food additives and the artificial sweetener aspartame. This is despite
    growing evidence that the excitotoxic mechanism plays a major role in
    cardiac disease.
    Previously, it was thought that excitotoxin food additives, such as
    monosodium glutamate and aspartic acid in aspartame, cause their damage in
    the cardiovascular centers in the brain stem and/or by over stimulating
    sympathetic centers in the hypothalamus of the brain. Both of these
    mechanisms have been shown to result in sudden cardiac death in
    experimental animals.
    A particular deadly combination occurs in young athletes, which includes
    low magnesium intake, high calcium intake, low intake of omgea-3 fatty
    acids and excitotoxin food additives. Strenuous exercise- especially in
    extreme heat is known to deplete the body's magnesium stores, as is
    consumption of carbonated drinks and taking calcium supplements. In
    addition, adrenalin secretion, increased during exercise, increases heart
    muscle irritability and magnesium loss as well.
    When calcium supplements are taken in the face of existing magnesium
    deficiency, both magnesium and calcium is driven into the bones, resulting
    in a sudden magnesium depletion crisis. Low magnesium is known to produce
    both seizures and cause sudden cardiac arrest. In a classic experiment, it
    was found that stressing animals who were magnesium deficient resulted in
    an almost 100% mortality from sudden cardiac arrest. Adding magnesium cut
    mortality dramatically.
    A considerable amount of evidence has shown that low omega-3 fat intake
    significantly increases the risk and severity of cardiac arrhythmias, the
    main cause of sudden cardiac death. Likewise, a number of studies have
    shown that Americans are significantly deficient in these protective fats.
    Finally, recent research has shown that the brain is not the only tissue
    having glutamate receptors. Numerous glutamate receptors have been found
    within the heart's electrical conductions system, as well as heart muscle.
    When an excess of food-borne excitotoxins, such as MSG, hydrolyzed protein,
    soy protein isolate and concentrate, natural flavoring, sodium caseinate
    and aspartate from aspartame, are consumed, these glutamate receptors are
    over stimulated, producing cardiac arrhythmias.
    When magnesium stores are low, as we see in athletes, the glutamate
    receptors are so sensitive that even low levels of these excitotoxins can
    result in cardiac arrhythmias and death. This is especially so when
    combined with the other factors mentioned. Under such condition, free
    radicals and lipid peroxidation products build up within the muscle cells,
    leading to the same outcome.

    High consumption of aspartame adds an additional cardiac muscle toxin,
    methanol. A number of studies have shown that consuming aspartame and MSG
    (and similar excitotoxins) together greatly magnifies the toxicity. Young
    people live on junk foods, most of which contain a number of excitotoxin
    additives. Several studies have shown that the levels beings consumed by
    our youth equal those causing the damage in experimental animals. Humans
    are 5X more sensitive to these toxins than any animal.
    These same factors operate in older individuals as well. Most over age 50
    years are depleted of magnesium, have low omega-3 fat intakes, are under
    stress and take a number of medications that worsen nutrition, especially
    magnesium levels. Because they are more likely to also have coronary artery
    disease and other medical conditions, their risk of sudden cardiac death is
    even higher.
    Both athletes and those over age 45 years should take magnesium
    supplements, antioxidants, omega-3 oils, eat more vegetables and avoid
    foods and artificial sweeteners containing excitotoxins such as aspartame
    and MSG. This will do a lot more than trying to rescue a person with an
    external defibrillator after the fact.

    Dr. Blaylock's web site is www.russellblaylockmd.com He is author of
    Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills and Health & Nutrition Secrets to Save
    Your Life. He can be seen in the movie, Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World
    on aspartame. You can get a copy from [email protected]

    Dr. Betty Martini, Founder, Mission Possible Intl, 9270 River Club Parkway,
    Duluth, Georgia 30097 770 242-2599 www.dorway.com

  2. On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 04:08:44 GMT, "Betty Martini via MedKB.com"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Previously, it was thought that excitotoxin food additives, such as
    >monosodium glutamate and aspartic acid in aspartame, cause their damage in
    >the cardiovascular centers in the brain stem and/or by over stimulating
    >sympathetic centers in the hypothalamus of the brain. Both of these
    >mechanisms have been shown to result in sudden cardiac death in
    >experimental animals.

    Aspartate may be decarboxylated to beta-alanine, a strong taurine
    transport inhibitor that may reduce heart muscle taurine content by
    50%.

    Would give heart arrest if reduced that drastic.

    Also aspartate given as free aspartate will possibly give same
    effects. Another reason to ban certain amino acids in free sale.