Sudden Power Loss

john979

Jan 14, 2005
Some background first. Starting in the second half of 2005, a new job and other demands caused a reduction in both my training time and form. By the end of 2006, my training volume was at an all-time low: one long weekend ride and an average of one midweek training session. I realized I needed to restructure my life to accommodate more training, which essentially means training in the early morning. To accomplish this, I purchased a PowerTap PT300 Pro and structured a carefully training plan to slowly increase my volume.

In January, my first 20 minute test result was a miserable 255 watts. I am 46, 161 pound and in 2004 had an FTP of 330 watts at a somewhat higher weight. This year’s goal is to rebuild my FTP to 315 watts. I have always followed a block training pattern with two off days per week and once every three weeks three days off.

I started January with a CTL of 40. My training provided immediate results even though I was fighting bronchitis. By the end of January, my 20 minute power was up to 275 watts and my CTL increased to 50. Unfortunately, my bronchitis turned into a minor case of pneumonia and I lost about two weeks training in February. Fortunately, this time off did not affect my performance to much and by the end of Februart my 20 minute power was up to 280 watts and my CTL was back to 50. Now I was able to resume training and was quite powerful during my first long group ride. On March 6th my 20 minute power was 291 watts, at a CTL of 57, and I could easily ride for 80 minutes at 270 watts. Now things get interesting.

On March 10th and 11th family commitments did not allow me to train. However, there were some nice days in the forecast so I took Monday and Wednesday off from work and got in two long rides on March 12th and 14th. The first was 3.5 hours non-stop with several 5-10 minute climbs and some additional 30-60 second rollers that I hit hard. The NP for this ride was 250 watts. On Wednesday, I did a 3 hour nonstop ride a bit easier with an NP of 230 watts. Tuesday was an off day as well as Thursday. My plan for Friday March 16th was 2X20 at FTP plus 1X5 at FTP 105% FTP right after the second 20 minute interval, a typical workout.

Although I felt good, I could not hold my FTP (275 watts) during the first workout. Sensing the possibility of over-reaching (I have not had two long rides in such a short span in a while), I terminated my Friday workout. On Saturday, I again attempted the same workout with the same results. Saturday evening I did an hour L3 spin at the gym – I could not bear looking at my dismal power. I took Sunday off and last night I performed a one hour spin at 75% max hr.

This morning I again could not sustain my target power. My CTL is not high at 60.

To complicate matters, on Tuesday last week I had a difficult root canal that triggered an autoimmune response (swollen glands). I cannot believe my training volume was enough to be considered over-reaching. It is possible that the training volume plus the dental work might have depleted my body, but I would think I should be recovered my now.

Has anyone else experienced such a sudden drop in performance? On March 9 my training was going perfectly and I felt stronger on the bike than I have in nearly two years. Now I struggle.

What is going on? Should I take more time off? Keep working out but at a lower level? Any insight is appreciated.

I could be wrong. I think you trained at your FT to increase your FTP too soon and too fast. From 255w (20 minutes power) in the beginning of Jan to 290w (20 minutes power) in middle of March. Did you build enough SST session before you are hitting FT work? Maybe you have developed pneumonia as the result of excessive FT work???

john979 said:
Some background first. Starting in the second half of 2005, a new job and other demands caused a reduction in both my training time and form. By the end of 2006, my training volume was at an all-time low: one long weekend ride and an average of one midweek training session. I realized I needed to restructure my life to accommodate more training, which essentially means training in the early morning. To accomplish this, I purchased a PowerTap PT300 Pro and structured a carefully training plan to slowly increase my volume.

In January, my first 20 minute test result was a miserable 255 watts. I am 46, 161 pound and in 2004 had an FTP of 330 watts at a somewhat higher weight. This year’s goal is to rebuild my FTP to 315 watts. I have always followed a block training pattern with two off days per week and once every three weeks three days off.

I started January with a CTL of 40. My training provided immediate results even though I was fighting bronchitis. By the end of January, my 20 minute power was up to 275 watts and my CTL increased to 50. Unfortunately, my bronchitis turned into a minor case of pneumonia and I lost about two weeks training in February. Fortunately, this time off did not affect my performance to much and by the end of Februart my 20 minute power was up to 280 watts and my CTL was back to 50. Now I was able to resume training and was quite powerful during my first long group ride. On March 6th my 20 minute power was 291 watts, at a CTL of 57, and I could easily ride for 80 minutes at 270 watts. Now things get interesting.

On March 10th and 11th family commitments did not allow me to train. However, there were some nice days in the forecast so I took Monday and Wednesday off from work and got in two long rides on March 12th and 14th. The first was 3.5 hours non-stop with several 5-10 minute climbs and some additional 30-60 second rollers that I hit hard. The NP for this ride was 250 watts. On Wednesday, I did a 3 hour nonstop ride a bit easier with an NP of 230 watts. Tuesday was an off day as well as Thursday. My plan for Friday March 16th was 2X20 at FTP plus 1X5 at FTP 105% FTP right after the second 20 minute interval, a typical workout.

Although I felt good, I could not hold my FTP (275 watts) during the first workout. Sensing the possibility of over-reaching (I have not had two long rides in such a short span in a while), I terminated my Friday workout. On Saturday, I again attempted the same workout with the same results. Saturday evening I did an hour L3 spin at the gym – I could not bear looking at my dismal power. I took Sunday off and last night I performed a one hour spin at 75% max hr.

This morning I again could not sustain my target power. My CTL is not high at 60.

To complicate matters, on Tuesday last week I had a difficult root canal that triggered an autoimmune response (swollen glands). I cannot believe my training volume was enough to be considered over-reaching. It is possible that the training volume plus the dental work might have depleted my body, but I would think I should be recovered my now.

Has anyone else experienced such a sudden drop in performance? On March 9 my training was going perfectly and I felt stronger on the bike than I have in nearly two years. Now I struggle.

What is going on? Should I take more time off? Keep working out but at a lower level? Any insight is appreciated.

BlueJersey said:
I could be wrong. I think you trained at your FT to increase your FTP too soon and too fast. From 255w (20 minutes power) in the beginning of Jan to 290w (20 minutes power) in middle of March. Did you build enough SST session before you are hitting FT work? Maybe you have developed pneumonia as the result of excessive FT work???
But I didn't do a whole lot of work. My CTL was very low... The pneumonia did come about from me ignorning my health...

john979 said:

Hi there,
Well I can relate to that - as I had a similar experience three weeks ago. Training was going well - good progress and I'd just increased my workout power levels by 10W. Had a great training week setting PB's on the three days. Took my normal rest day the next Monday but on Tuesday instead of holding the power level for ~35min, I failed/bailed at 10-min! Next day pushed harder and reached 17-min .... but something was wrong. In my case, I had heavy legs, 'deeply' sore and just couldn't perform on the ergo as I should have. Two bad workouts in row is a sign (for me) to take the rest of the week easier. No structured intervals at any power level - just 'ride' as I feel for a few days until I felt like getting back on the train. I did some solid tempo rides in there but never set any power goals for the ride. Just rode as my legs dictated.

IOW, I'd suggest what you need is light-moderate training until things recover. I much prefer that to doing nothing for 2-3-4 days as that can totally block the legs. In my case it was two weeks from the onset to my next PB but ... that's really not a lo....n...g time.

rmur17 said:
Hi there,
Well I can relate to that - as I had a similar experience three weeks ago. Training was going well - good progress and I'd just increased my workout power levels by 10W. Had a great training week setting PB's on the three days. Took my normal rest day the next Monday but on Tuesday instead of holding the power level for ~35min, I failed/bailed at 10-min! Next day pushed harder and reached 17-min .... but something was wrong. In my case, I had heavy legs, 'deeply' sore and just couldn't perform on the ergo as I should have. Two bad workouts in row is a sign (for me) to take the rest of the week easier. No structured intervals at any power level - just 'ride' as I feel for a few days until I felt like getting back on the train. I did some solid tempo rides in there but never set any power goals for the ride. Just rode as my legs dictated.

IOW, I'd suggest what you need is light-moderate training until things recover. I much prefer that to doing nothing for 2-3-4 days as that can totally block the legs. In my case it was two weeks from the onset to my next PB but ... that's really not a lo....n...g time.
Thanks. This is the approach I am leaning towards. Interestingly, in my case I don't have heavy legs at all. I am starting to think my issues are more with the root canal and subsequent swollen glands than over-reaching. Today I am not riding. Tomorrow and Friday I will do a couple easy one hour tempo rides. I will see how I feel on the weekend group rides, but I will then take Monday and Tuesday off from riding, other than a very, very easy recovery ride on Monday evening.

John

john979 said:
...I am starting to think my issues are more with the root canal and subsequent swollen glands than over-reaching. Today I am not riding. Tomorrow and Friday I will do a couple easy one hour tempo rides. I will see how I feel on the weekend group rides, but I will then take Monday and Tuesday off from riding, other than a very, very easy recovery ride on Monday evening....
Good plan John. Remember, training and positive adaptations are icing on the cake as far as your body is concerned. Your body has to be healthy and meeting all its survival demands before it will respond to training with increased fitness. Bronchitis, pneumonia, dental anesthesia, swollen glands your body is working hard to cope with all these things and isn't going to have a lot left over for building your cycling fitness. Training through bronchitis or swollen glands is asking for trouble. I use Friel's below the neck rule, if you have an illness at or below the neck (swollen glands, bronchitis) then it's best to take some rest days. Eddie B and Burke both offered variants on this years ago, but however you look at it, you shouldn't train through lower respiratory tract illnesses or glandular illnesses or serious flus that leave your body weakened.

On the positive side, you really haven't lost that hard earned fitness, things like increased heart volume, mitochondrial densities in your working muscles, muscle fiber type conversion and capillary densities don't just evaporate over night as you recover from an illness. You'll feel weak as your body fights off an infection or deals with a virus but your actual fitness adaptations don't disappear over the period of a couple of days or a week.

It's frustrating to miss training time, especially as the season approaches but you've got to listen to your body and give it time off when it needs it. Just remember the fitness isn't really lost even if you have to start back in at a slightly lower level you'll build back up to your previous high point in no time since the core fitness is still really there.

Good luck,
Dave

Have you looked closely at diet?

With riders I coach nine times out of ten a drop in performance or frequent illness is related to a sub-optimal diet.

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

fergie said:
Have you looked closely at diet?

With riders I coach nine times out of ten a drop in performance or frequent illness is related to a sub-optimal diet.

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach
Hamish;

Thanks for the idea. I did notice a stronger than usual appetite and basically ate what I wanted. I have very balanced diet and stable weight, so maybe that can be ruled out. I am just going to have to ride the storm. Thankfully, my pneumonia experience taught me that all is not lost, but its still tough because I saw so pleased with my progression with no indication of anything wrong until last week.

John

John

Good to hear. I do find that many cyclists don't appreciate just how many more calories a cyclist needs to eat to fuel training, racing and recovery.

Best of luck

Hamish

As a newbie I am astounded at how much I need to learn. Some of you seem to be wealths of knowledge. It is really nice to see how helpful many of you are with one another.

I know how to make my body grow (not trips to Krispy Kreme or Dunk'n Donut's either :D ) but now I want to lean up and become a "REAL" cyclist and lean up.

I look forward to reading more of all of y'all's very insightful posts.

~Andy

fergie said:
John

Good to hear. I do find that many cyclists don't appreciate just how many more calories a cyclist needs to eat to fuel training, racing and recovery.

Best of luck

Hamish
I keep track -- this analysis from about a month ago:

Friday
60 minutes tempo plus 4X4 V02 max intervals, 110 minutes total with warm-up and cool down: 1360 kj work x 1.1 = 1496 kcal.
BMR = 2100 kcal.
Other = 15 x 75 kcal = 1125 (15 other awake hours @ 75 kcal per hour)
Total = 4721 kcal.

Saturday
3'10" tempo/endurance ride: 2444 kj X 1.1 = 2688 kcal.
BMR = 2100 kcal.
Other = 12 x 75 kcal = 900 kcal (12 other awake hours @ 75 kcal per hour)
Total = 5444 kcal.

Friday + Saturday Total = 10,165 kcal

The only thing that keeps weight on me is beer.

This weekend saw a marked rebound in my form. On Sunday, one rider commented upon my "remarkably good condition for so early in the season." He would not believe me when I told him a week ago I could hardly turn the cranks.

Since both weekend rides were rolling, I don't have any real measure of form -- 5 minute or 20 minute power. However, Saturday's training ride covers a route that we always follow this time of year and I was a PB for me in both average and normalized power.

I am taking two recovery days off and will do a 20 minute test Wednesday evening.

Thanks for the the ideas and support.

John

john979 said:
This weekend saw a marked rebound in my form. On Sunday, one rider commented upon my "remarkably good condition for so early in the season." He would not believe me when I told him a week ago I could hardly turn the cranks.

Since both weekend rides were rolling, I don't have any real measure of form -- 5 minute or 20 minute power. However, Saturday's training ride covers a route that we always follow this time of year and I was a PB for me in both average and normalized power.

I am taking two recovery days off and will do a 20 minute test Wednesday evening.

Thanks for the the ideas and support.

John
sounds good John. What was it Timan said about recovery? I often don't get it right!