Sue and Ban Atkins, not supplements

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Steve Bayt, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Steve Bayt

    Steve Bayt Guest

    STEVE BAYT

    (Parma/Brook Park, Ohio)

    While Illinois Senator Durbin and his SB 722 would create an unfathomable health crisis in America,
    there already is one. And the FDA, FTC, and FCC should never have allowed The Atkins Diet to even
    be marketed.

    Quite frankly, it is horrible that The United States Senate is proposing to regulate out of business
    the most beneficial industry in America- that of nutritional supplements. Yet, Durbin etc have done
    nothing to outlaw the Atkins Diet. The phenomenal dangers of The Atkins Diet can be found at
    www.safediets.org and www.atkinsdietalert.org

    There are many other health problems associated with Atkins which I will try to figure out how to
    interpret in non-jargon.

    They pretty much describe what I was going to rant about this week. What is perhaps more
    unacceptable than Durbin trying to outlaw supplements yet doing nothing to end The Atkins Diet, is
    that the media ever accepted a single ad or commercial for what can only be described as a
    nutritional death diet.

    Just like Randy Shilts was the most vocal warner (person who warns?) about AIDS (1981-10/3/85). I am
    pretty much the only warner about S.B.
    722.

    This article offers a solution to stop The Atkins Diet, which apparently neither the media nor
    government want to do.

    The solution to stop SB 722 is complicated involving politics and public opinion and the number of
    votes each senator would lose. The solution to Atkins is fairly simple-litigation.

    Anyone who has suffered the surreal amount of medical problems inevitable with Atkins should sue, to
    a very large amount, Atkins. The regulations that Cigarette manufacturers face now are the result of
    people's civil litigation. Quite frankly, preaching a low carb, high protein diet with extreme
    nutritional deficiencies and nearly no fiber would have maybe worse medical hazards than cigarettes.

    McDonald's and their high fat, high protein diet has been successfully sued at the trial phase, but
    has been able to get stays of execution pending appeal. And McDonald's does not claim to be a
    medical program.

    Atkins is being marketed as a medical way of losing weight, founded by a Doctor being prescribed by
    Atkins doctors and health practioners. Although I am not a lawyer, I have taken some legal courses.
    Atkins is dispensing diet and medical advice which has a higher legal standard of liability then
    McDonald's which was just selling an unhealthy product.

    A few multi-million dollar lawsuits and Atkins is out of business. And of course, the bazillion
    people who have died on Atkins could sue for compensatory damages and punitive damages for the suits
    would be negligence.

    In fact, the only nutrition that an Atkins dieter could get would be from Nutritional supplements-
    which of course Senator Durbin wants to make illegal.

    McDonald's has the money to appeal litigation until Plaintiff's die, Atkins dosen't have that
    luxury. People who have suffered from this disaster diet can do much more than file a complaint with
    the Atkins Diet Alert site, or contact the FDA to end Atkins.

    They could consult a lawyer, or be pro se if they are lawyers, and file a lawsuit. For it's quite
    terrifying to think of an America where the media runs ads for Atkins while health foods are being
    pulled off the shelf.

    So, to those bazillion former Atkins people with hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills,
    call a local lawyer and get your money back that a diet program preached by quacks have manifested.

    Unfortunately, you can't sue any media outlet for running ads, because of what we call The First
    Amendment. A newspaper can run an ad preaching well, I don't want to give any ideas and they
    couldn't be sued by anyone harmed. But, Atkins can and should.

    If Atkins isn't regulated out of business, maybe it can be litigated.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Steve Bayt) wrote:

    > While Illinois Senator Durbin and his SB 722 would create an unfathomable health crisis in
    > America, there already is one. And the FDA, FTC, and FCC should never have allowed The Atkins Diet
    > to even be marketed.

    You want to ban books?

    Scram!

    Priscilla

  3. Guy

    Guy Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:47:21 GMT, Priscilla Ballou
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Steve
    >Bayt) wrote:
    >
    >> While Illinois Senator Durbin and his SB 722 would create an unfathomable health crisis in
    >> America, there already is one. And the FDA, FTC, and FCC should never have allowed The Atkins
    >> Diet to even be marketed.
    >>

    >You want to ban books?
    >
    >Scram!
    >
    >Priscilla

    It might have something to do with "something that is harmful to long term health. :)

  4. Cheri

    Cheri Guest

    As if you could ban meat and veggies, salads, strawberries, raspberries,
    etc. I am LMBO over that. :)

    --
    Cheri
    Type 2, no meds for now.
    Steve Bayt wrote in message
    <[email protected]>...
    >STEVE BAYT
    >
    >(Parma/Brook Park, Ohio)
    >
    >While Illinois Senator Durbin and his SB 722 would create an
    >unfathomable health crisis in America, there already is one. And the
    >FDA, FTC, and FCC should never have allowed The Atkins Diet to even be
    >marketed.

  5. Guy

    Guy Guest

    Sorry for picking on the Atkins thing. If it serves some well it is Ok. I will not be so kind to the
    Peta thing.

    There is a dream world and a real world. Wish I could live in the dream and make it fit me. Somehow
    reality keeps hitting me in the face. Or elsewhere.

    I can accept most people except those that dig up irrational excuses for their beliefs and try to
    force them on me. The world is too crowded for that to work anymore.

    Getting angry at me for not agreeing with you is a waste. Guy

  6. Mack

    Mack Guest

    On 19 Feb 2004 15:53:58 -0800, [email protected] (Steve Bayt)
    wrote:

    >STEVE BAYT

    is a frightened supplement scammers.

    It's about time the government made the move to regulate this scammer's industry.

    Mack Type 1 since 1975 http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

    In tribute to the United States of America and the State of Israel, two bastions of strength in a
    world filled with strife and terrorism.

    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the
    President, or that we are to stand by the President
    right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
    but is morally treasonable to the American public."

    ...Theodore Roosevelt

  7. Steve Bayt <[email protected]> wrote on 19 Feb 2004 15:53:58 -0800:
    > STEVE BAYT

    > (Parma/Brook Park, Ohio)

    > While Illinois Senator Durbin and his SB 722 would create an unfathomable health crisis in
    > America, there already is one. And the FDA, FTC, and FCC should never have allowed The Atkins Diet
    > to even be marketed.

    "Marketed"? Seems a strange word in this context.

    > Quite frankly, it is horrible that The United States Senate is proposing to regulate out of
    > business the most beneficial industry in America- that of nutritional supplements. Yet, Durbin etc
    > have done nothing to outlaw the Atkins Diet.

    <dons asbestos longjohns> Wouldn't outlawing guns in the USA make more sense? They're far more
    dangerous than the Atkins Diet. Guns can kill in seconds, the Atkins diet takes months or years.

    [ .... ]

    > Just like Randy Shilts was the most vocal warner (person who warns?) about AIDS (1981-10/3/85). I
    > am pretty much the only warner about S.B.
    > 722.

    What the for crying out loud is "S.B. 722"?

    > Anyone who has suffered the surreal amount of medical problems inevitable with Atkins should sue,
    > to a very large amount, Atkins.

    Er, are you aware of the jurisdiction within which Atkins currently is? It currently has no
    extradition treaty with the USA, and is one that even US Presidents fear to mess with. ;-)

    --
    Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany) Email: [email protected]; to decode, wherever there is a repeated
    letter (like "aa"), remove half of them (leaving, say, "a").

  8. Oldal4865

    Oldal4865 Guest

    Alan Mackenzie wrote in message ...
    >Steve Bayt <[email protected]> wrote on 19 Feb 2004 15:53:58 -0800:
    >. . .(snip). . .
    >
    >> Quite frankly, it is horrible that The United States Senate is proposing to regulate out of
    >> business the most beneficial industry in America- that of nutritional supplements. Yet, Durbin
    >> etc have done nothing to outlaw the Atkins Diet.
    >. . .(snip). . .
    >
    >What the for crying out loud is "S.B. 722"?
    >
    >. . .(snip). . .
    >--
    >Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)

    S.B. 722 is United States Senate Bill 722 which regulates the nutritional supplements which
    (certain types of folks)** routinely hawk as as techniques for eliminating the need for such
    things as doctors, those horrible insulin injections, vaccinations, etc.

    In the U.S., they hit you hard if you claim medicinal properties for your snake oil but if you claim
    it is a "nutritional supplement", you can hide all sorts of abuse behind a legal loophole.

    **(certain types of folks) = many are psychopaths, many are loons. The
    S.C. seems to be in that group.

    Regards
    Old Al

  9. Bj In Texas

    Bj In Texas Guest

    Alan Mackenzie wrote:

    > Er, are you aware of the jurisdiction within which Atkins currently is? It currently has no
    > extradition treaty with the USA, and is one that even US Presidents fear to mess with. ;-)

    ROTFL BJ

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    Guy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:47:21 GMT, Priscilla Ballou <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Steve
    > >Bayt) wrote:
    > >
    > >> While Illinois Senator Durbin and his SB 722 would create an unfathomable health crisis in
    > >> America, there already is one. And the FDA, FTC, and FCC should never have allowed The Atkins
    > >> Diet to even be marketed.
    > >>

    > >You want to ban books?
    > >
    > >Scram!
    > >
    > >Priscilla
    >
    > It might have something to do with "something that is harmful to long term health. :)

    Since when is reading harmful to long term health?

    Priscilla

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Cheri" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > As if you could ban meat and veggies, salads, strawberries, raspberries, etc. I am LMBO over
    > that. :)

    Yeah, I wonder if he's in favor of legislation aimed at strapping us down and forcefeeding us pasta
    and baked potatoes?

    > Steve Bayt wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    > >STEVE BAYT
    > >
    > >(Parma/Brook Park, Ohio)
    > >
    > >While Illinois Senator Durbin and his SB 722 would create an unfathomable health crisis in
    > >America, there already is one. And the FDA, FTC, and FCC should never have allowed The Atkins
    > >Diet to even be marketed.

    Oh, and you don't "market" ideas.

    Priscilla

  12. Cheri

    Cheri Guest

    Heck, even Derek Humphries "Final Exit" wasn't banned. I have a copy of that too. LOL

    --
    Cheri
    Type 2, no meds for now.

    Priscilla Ballou wrote in message ...

    >Since when is reading harmful to long term health?
    >
    >Priscilla

  13. Cheri

    Cheri Guest

    And supplements. :)

    --
    Cheri
    Type 2, no meds for now.

    Priscilla Ballou wrote in message ...

    >Yeah, I wonder if he's in favor of legislation aimed at strapping us
    >down and forcefeeding us pasta and baked potatoes?

  14. Guy

    Guy Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:22:08 GMT, Priscilla Ballou
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Guy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:47:21 GMT, Priscilla Ballou <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> >You want to ban books?
    >> >
    >> >Scram!
    >> >
    >> >Priscilla
    >>
    >> It might have something to do with "something that is harmful to long term health. :)
    >
    >Since when is reading harmful to long term health?
    >
    >Priscilla

    You cannot prove the Atlims diet is useful and I cannot prove it of no value. So we will have to
    argue over it. Way the cookie crumbles. A lo carb cookie. Guy

  15. Cheri

    Cheri Guest

    You got a good recipe for crumbling, low carb cookies? LOL

    --
    Cheri
    Type 2, no meds for now.

    Guy wrote in message ...

    >You cannot prove the Atlims diet is useful and
    >I cannot prove it of no value. So we will
    >have to argue over it. Way the cookie crumbles.
    >A lo carb cookie.
    > Guy

  16. Guy

    Guy Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:14:13 -0800, "Cheri"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You got a good recipe for crumbling, low carb cookies? LOL

    The problem with my cookies is you would not ear them. But that is part of my diet. Less temptation.
    See it works. ---sometimes.

  17. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:31:54 -0600, Guy <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:14:13 -0800, "Cheri" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>You got a good recipe for crumbling, low carb cookies? LOL
    >
    >The problem with my cookies is you would not ear them. But that is part of my diet. Less
    >temptation. See it works. ---sometimes.

    Now, that's a lo-cal diet I hadn't considered. Don't eat your cookies, listen to them!

    Good for weight loss too.

    Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.