sugar alcohols

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by anonymous, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. anonymous

    anonymous Guest

    What exactly are sugar alcohols, and when did they come about

    Tags:

  2. Mxsmanic

    Mxsmanic Guest

    [email protected] writes:

    > What exactly are sugar alcohols, and when did they come about

    Sugar alcohols are also called polyols. They are a kind of (non-intoxicating) alcohols derived from
    sugar. They taste sweet, but many of them are very poorly absorbed and metabolized, making them very
    low in dietary calories ... and sometimes causing them to act as strong laxatives (because they pass
    right through the digestive tract, carrying lots of water).

    Sugar alcohols are used as low-calorie sweeteners in small amounts. In large amounts, they are
    used to purge the gastrointestinal tract of all its contents before intestinal surgery or
    diagnostic procedures. Eating too much sugar alcohols in food may cause diarrhea, depending on
    which one is involved.

    Sugar alcohols include mannitol (often used to purge the GI tract), sorbitol, xylitol (similar to
    sugar in sweetness and calories), isomalt, erythritol (tastes like sugar, but has virtually no
    calories and does not cause diarrhea), and many others.

  3. Sugar alcohols are used as low-calorie sweeteners in small amounts. In
    : large amounts, they are used to purge the gastrointestinal tract of all its contents before
    : intestinal surgery or diagnostic procedures. Eating too much sugar alcohols in food may cause
    : diarrhea, depending on which one is involved.

    : Sugar alcohols include mannitol (often used to purge the GI tract),

    We see Mannitol used in the neuro ICU, to rid the body of water (e.g. reduce ICP). The skull isn't
    going to give, so we've gotta shrink swollen brains somehow -- this is one way -- via dehydration.

    Everytime i've ever tried sorbitol products (e.g. no sugar candies), i get awful GI cramps. Nasty!

    Emma

  4. Mxsmanic

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Emma Chase VanCott writes:

    > We see Mannitol used in the neuro ICU, to rid the body of water (e.g. reduce ICP). The skull isn't
    > going to give, so we've gotta shrink swollen brains somehow -- this is one way -- via dehydration.

    How is it used to produce dehydration?

  5. Mxsmanic <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Emma Chase VanCott writes:

    : > We see Mannitol used in the neuro ICU, to rid the body of water (e.g. reduce ICP). The skull
    : > isn't going to give, so we've gotta shrink swollen brains somehow -- this is one way -- via
    : > dehydration.

    : How is it used to produce dehydration?

    The action is same as a laxative (keep in mind that there are various types of laxatives).

    You pretty much already described it <G>.

    Some laxatives work by sucking water out of the system, and into the GI lumen -- to add water to the
    GI contents (stool).

    It's just a physiological fluid shift, really. Steal from one to give to the other.

    Emma