Sugar in Pepcid Complete Antacid

Phillip J Fry

Guest
Anyone know if Pepcid Complete has sugar in it? It works well for my heatburn 2-3 times a week, but
I'd like some assurance that it won't have any appreciable glucose effects.

"Phillip J Fry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone know if Pepcid Complete has sugar in it? It works well for my heatburn 2-3 times a week,
> but I'd like some assurance that it won't have any appreciable glucose effects.

I don't have any of this stuff, so I looked at drugstore.com. Here are the ingredients:

Ingredients: Active Ingredients: in each chewable tablet: Famotidine (10 mg - Acid Reducer), Calcium
Carbonate (800 mg - Antacid), Magnesium Hydroxide (165 mg - Antacid)

Inactive Ingredients: Cellulose Acetate, Corn Starch, Dextrates, Flavors, Hydroxypropyl Cellulose,
Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Lactose, Magnesium Stearate, Pregalatinized Starch, Red Iron Oxide,
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sugar

As you can see, they contain not only sugar but other forms of carbs. You can get sugar free
antacids. Don't know offhand which brands they are though since I rarely buy them.

--
Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

"Phillip J Fry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone know if Pepcid Complete has sugar in it? It works well for my heatburn 2-3 times a week,
> but I'd like some assurance that it won't have any appreciable glucose effects.

Even if it were 100% sugar, it wouldn't affect your BG. A Pepcid tablet is very small. 1 teaspoon of
sugar is only 5 carbs.

>From: "Phillip J Fry" [email protected]

>nyone know if Pepcid Complete has sugar in it? It works well for my

From the Pepcid Complete Web site. Scroll all the way down to the bottom and there it is. Sugar, and
I believe I see lactose in the list too. It doesn't say how much, but you could probably go to the
web site and e mail the makers. I looked at several sites and could not find a nutritional break out
of carbs and sugars. HTH

PEPCID® COMPLETE Chewable Tablets contain the following ingredients:

Medicinal ingredients:
- 800 mg calcium carbonate
- 165 mg magnesium hydroxide
- 10 mg famotidine

Non-medicinal ingredients (alphabetical order):
- cellulose acetate
- dextrates
- flavours
- hydroxypropyl cellulose
- hydroxypropyl methycellulose
- lactose
- magnesium stearate
- pregelatinized starch
- red ferric oxide
- sodium lauryl sulfate
- sugar

Ruthie Up here in Michigan. Type 2, Avandamet/Lantus insulin. @--->----- Friends multiply joy and
divide sorrow! and....... Seen on a sign in rural Ohio...."Happiness is an Inside Job!"

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:11:07 -0400, "Julie Bove"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ingredients: Active Ingredients: in each chewable tablet: Famotidine (10 mg - Acid Reducer),
>Calcium Carbonate (800 mg - Antacid), Magnesium Hydroxide (165 mg - Antacid)
>
>Inactive Ingredients: Cellulose Acetate, Corn Starch, Dextrates, Flavors, Hydroxypropyl Cellulose,
>Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Lactose, Magnesium Stearate, Pregalatinized Starch, Red Iron Oxide,
>Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sugar
>
>As you can see, they contain not only sugar but other forms of carbs. You can get sugar free
>antacids. Don't know offhand which brands they are though since I rarely buy them.

Would probably use up your friend Susan's carb allotment for a week.

Sleepy

========
COWBOY UP! Magic Number=7
========

Patch wrote:

> "Phillip J Fry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:hl6dnQ_CvpJVVhuiU-
> [email protected]...
>> Anyone know if Pepcid Complete has sugar in it? It works well for my heatburn 2-3 times a week,
>> but I'd like some assurance that it won't have any appreciable glucose effects.
>>

> Even if it were 100% sugar, it wouldn't affect your BG. A Pepcid tablet is very small. 1 teaspoon
> of sugar is only 5 carbs.

But it only takes forty Pepcid tablets to make a teaspoon.

mike gray, CID <[email protected]> wrote:
> Patch wrote:
>
>> "Phillip J Fry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:hl6dnQ_CvpJVVhuiU-
>> [email protected]...
>>> Anyone know if Pepcid Complete has sugar in it? It works well for my heatburn 2-3 times a week,
>>> but I'd like some assurance that it won't have any appreciable glucose effects.
>>>

>> Even if it were 100% sugar, it wouldn't affect your BG. A Pepcid tablet is very small. 1 teaspoon
>> of sugar is only 5 carbs.
>>

> But it only takes forty Pepcid tablets to make a teaspoon.

"Only forty"??? If you have to take forty Pepcid tablets a day, or even forty a WEEK, then you
have MUCH bigger problems to worry about than spiking yourself from the trace amount of sugar
they contain.

Regards,

James the Elder

In article <[email protected]>,
"Julie Bove" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Sleepyman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Would probably use up your friend Susan's carb allotment for a week.
>
> Yeah! Gee, I wonder what she uses? Ah, then her diet is probably one that doesn't cause
> heartburn. Hehe!

Actually, it's a fairly commonly experience on alt.support.diet.low-carb that folks who've suffered
from chronic heartburn find their symptoms greatly alleviated when they start a low-carb diet.

--
AF "Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team." --artyw raises the bar on
rec.sport.baseball