Sugar Main pivot

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stu

Hi

Having massive problems with the main pivot bushes on my Sugar 1 the teflon just keeps wearing out
within a month or so. Anyone had this problem? The bushes on my old sugar lasted about two years,
that was until the frame snapped. Thats right in the usaul place just above the BB.

Cheers Stu

[email protected] (Stu) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi
>
> Having massive problems with the main pivot bushes on my Sugar 1 the teflon just keeps wearing out
> within a month or so. Anyone had this problem? The bushes on my old sugar lasted about two years,
> that was until the frame snapped. Thats right in the usaul place just above the BB.
>
> Cheers Stu

How did you manage to make your frame last for 2 years? I cracked my first one after 6 months and
the second one after 8 months... The second one cracked on the chainstays not on above the BB. As
for the main pivots, I haven't had any probems. I'm mostly riding a Specialized Enduro now though.

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

[email protected] (Dennis Baker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Stu) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hi
> >
> > Having massive problems with the main pivot bushes on my Sugar 1 the teflon just keeps wearing
> > out within a month or so. Anyone had this problem? The bushes on my old sugar lasted about two
> > years, that was until the frame snapped. Thats right in the usaul place just above the BB.
> >
> > Cheers Stu
>
> How did you manage to make your frame last for 2 years? I cracked my first one after 6 months and
> the second one after 8 months... The second one cracked on the chainstays not on above the BB. As
> for the main pivots, I haven't had any probems. I'm mostly riding a Specialized Enduro now though.
>
> -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

I know I was amazed I know loads of people that have snapped their frames within a year. What year
was your frame?have you heard of any problems withth e2002 frames.

Cheers Stu

[email protected] (Stu) wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Having massive problems with the main pivot bushes on my Sugar 1 the teflon just keeps wearing
> > > out within a month or so. Anyone had this problem? The bushes on my old sugar lasted about two
> > > years, that was until the frame snapped. Thats right in the usaul place just above the BB.
> > >
> > > Cheers Stu
> >
> > How did you manage to make your frame last for 2 years? I cracked my first one after 6 months
> > and the second one after 8 months... The second one cracked on the chainstays not on above the
> > BB. As for the main pivots, I haven't had any probems. I'm mostly riding a Specialized Enduro
> > now though.
> >
> > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com
>
> I know I was amazed I know loads of people that have snapped their frames within a year. What year
> was your frame?have you heard of any problems withth e2002 frames.
>
> Cheers Stu

My first bike was a 2001 and it broke right above the main pivot. I have heard that the 2001 had
lots of problems in that location.

They replaced the frame with a 2003 Sugar 3+ frame. There is a round tube which is press fitted
between the two chainstays and that fitting cracked. I was lucky and they replaced the rear triangle
with a Sugar 1 rear triangle. I've pretty much lost faith in the Fishure brand and got an Enduro.
The Sugar is pretty much my commuter bike while I use the Enduro for trail riding.

-- Dennis

On 18 Mar 2003 08:59:39 -0800, [email protected] (Stu) blathered:

>Having massive problems with the main pivot bushes on my Sugar 1 the teflon just keeps wearing out
>within a month or so. Anyone had this problem? The bushes on my old sugar lasted about two years,
>that was until the frame snapped. Thats right in the usaul place just above the BB.

Had this by email from a mate this morning -

"The Sugar is mothballed at the moment. The frame was eating bushings and the main pivot kept
working loose, it's been back to the shop and is "fixed" but we'll see how cured it really is when I
finally get round to building her back up again."

"basically can't be arsed to spend half a day trying to get it running again if it's going to
die shortly afterwards. Don't have any faith in it any more to be honest and can't seem to sell
the frame."

Doh!

----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

Does anybody have any experience with the '02 and later Sugars? It seems hey redid the downtube and
BB shell that year, and really cut back on the amount of frame failures, but I haven't heard
anyhting - good or bad - regarding pivot bushings.

My '02 Sugar + has a zillion filthy, wet, muddy, miles on it, so I imagine it would have developed
some slop by now, but I could be lucky.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.