Sugar ..Try this 10 day challenge you may be suprised..

lux41

Dec 22, 2007
I am there now but it took me about a yr to rid myself from the grasps !!!
Its only when you try something like the 10 day challenge that you really realize the addiction controls us ...

Good luck:D Human researchers are fascinated by the behavior of lab rats in response to food rewards, but few humans are willing to closely examine their own behavior in relationship to sugar. Most people living in western societies (the U.S., Canada, UK, Australia, etc.) are truly addicted to sugar, and they use it as a form of self-medication to temporarily boost their mood and energy. The frequency and context in which these people press a button on a soda machine is eerily similar to the way lab rats press a lever to produce a food reward.
This CounterThink cartoon attempts to ask, "What would an outside observer think of modern human behavior in relation to sugar?" The answer is not difficult to predict: They would think humans were strange animals to be so utterly controlled by a crystalline white substance. Refined white sugar is like dietary crack, and it rots out your teeth just like meth, only slower. To get the real story on white sugar, read the pioneering book, "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" by Weston Price, or check out the Price-Pottenger Foundation.
Of course, most people reading this cartoon will insist, "I'm not addicted to sugar. I can quit eating sugar anytime I want." Really? Prove it! See if you can go sugar-free for just ten days. That's a real eye-opener for most people, because even if they have the determination to attempt such an experiment, most soon find themselves crawling back to the pantry, desperately seeking a soda beverage loaded with high-fructose corn syrup (liquid sugar) to end their withdrawal symptoms.
The truth is, most American consumers are so addicted to sugar that they will deny their addictions in the same way that a crack or heroin addict might. And yet, when it comes down to it, sugar controls their behavior. If they don't have their sugar in the morning (in their coffee, pancakes and cereals), sugar at lunch (in the salad dressing, pasta sauce, soda and restaurant food) and sugar at dinner (there's sugar in pizza, ketchup and BBQ sauce, plus virtually all restaurant foods), then they suffer serious withdrawal symptoms and go crazy with moodiness and irritability. They start blaming everyone around them for silly things, and they may even become sweaty and light-headed.
Curious, isn't it? That's what happens when you take a substance out of nature and refine it to maximize its chemical surface area and biological activity. Cocaine is a drug that's refined from coca leaves. Opium is a drug that's refined from poppies. And sugar is a drug that's refined from sugarcane. And while we have a "war on drugs" against cocaine and heroin, our taxpayer dollars actually subsidize the sugar industry, making refined white sugar cheap and widely available to the entire population so that everyone can be equally hooked.
Refined white sugar is a pleasure drug. If you don't believe me, just put a spoonful on your tongue and observe the instantaneous effects. You'll experience a warming, comfortable feeling that makes you feel safe and happy. They're not called "comfort foods" by accident.
Sugar is, essentially, a legalized recreational drug that's socially acceptable to consume. And yet, just like other drugs, it destroys a person's health over time, rotting out their teeth, disrupting normal brain function, promoting heart disease and directly causing diabetes and obesity. The argument that "street drugs are outlawed because they're dangerous to a person's health" falls flat on its face when you consider what sugar does to the human body. It's a lot more dangerous than marijuana, for example, and yet marijuana is illegal to possess or consume.
Isn't it curious how, in modern society, we fight a war against certain drugs (like cocaine), yet subsidize others? (Like sugar.) The difference, of course, is that the sugar industry has a powerful political lobby and is universally abused by virtually the entire population. Drugs that are abused by only a few (such as heroin) get outlawed, while drugs that are abused by everyone (such as caffeine and sugar) receive legal immunity. It's mob rule. And the mob is addicted to sugar.
###

So what's your point?
No way in hell you can get rid of it.
you may be able to control what sugars you add to your diet but everything else, forget about it.

lux41 said:
Its only when you try something like the 10 day challenge that you really realize the addiction controls us ...

Good luck:D Human researchers are fascinated by the behavior of lab rats in response to food rewards, but few humans are willing to closely examine their own behavior in relationship to sugar. Most people living in western societies (the U.S., Canada, UK, Australia, etc.) are truly addicted to sugar, and they use it as a form of self-medication to temporarily boost their mood and energy. The frequency and context in which these people press a button on a soda machine is eerily similar to the way lab rats press a lever to produce a food reward.
This CounterThink cartoon attempts to ask, "What would an outside observer think of modern human behavior in relation to sugar?" The answer is not difficult to predict: They would think humans were strange animals to be so utterly controlled by a crystalline white substance. Refined white sugar is like dietary crack, and it rots out your teeth just like meth, only slower. To get the real story on white sugar, read the pioneering book, "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" by Weston Price, or check out the Price-Pottenger Foundation.
Of course, most people reading this cartoon will insist, "I'm not addicted to sugar. I can quit eating sugar anytime I want." Really? Prove it! See if you can go sugar-free for just ten days. That's a real eye-opener for most people, because even if they have the determination to attempt such an experiment, most soon find themselves crawling back to the pantry, desperately seeking a soda beverage loaded with high-fructose corn syrup (liquid sugar) to end their withdrawal symptoms.
The truth is, most American consumers are so addicted to sugar that they will deny their addictions in the same way that a crack or heroin addict might. And yet, when it comes down to it, sugar controls their behavior. If they don't have their sugar in the morning (in their coffee, pancakes and cereals), sugar at lunch (in the salad dressing, pasta sauce, soda and restaurant food) and sugar at dinner (there's sugar in pizza, ketchup and BBQ sauce, plus virtually all restaurant foods), then they suffer serious withdrawal symptoms and go crazy with moodiness and irritability. They start blaming everyone around them for silly things, and they may even become sweaty and light-headed.
Curious, isn't it? That's what happens when you take a substance out of nature and refine it to maximize its chemical surface area and biological activity. Cocaine is a drug that's refined from coca leaves. Opium is a drug that's refined from poppies. And sugar is a drug that's refined from sugarcane. And while we have a "war on drugs" against cocaine and heroin, our taxpayer dollars actually subsidize the sugar industry, making refined white sugar cheap and widely available to the entire population so that everyone can be equally hooked.
Refined white sugar is a pleasure drug. If you don't believe me, just put a spoonful on your tongue and observe the instantaneous effects. You'll experience a warming, comfortable feeling that makes you feel safe and happy. They're not called "comfort foods" by accident.
Sugar is, essentially, a legalized recreational drug that's socially acceptable to consume. And yet, just like other drugs, it destroys a person's health over time, rotting out their teeth, disrupting normal brain function, promoting heart disease and directly causing diabetes and obesity. The argument that "street drugs are outlawed because they're dangerous to a person's health" falls flat on its face when you consider what sugar does to the human body. It's a lot more dangerous than marijuana, for example, and yet marijuana is illegal to possess or consume.
Isn't it curious how, in modern society, we fight a war against certain drugs (like cocaine), yet subsidize others? (Like sugar.) The difference, of course, is that the sugar industry has a powerful political lobby and is universally abused by virtually the entire population. Drugs that are abused by only a few (such as heroin) get outlawed, while drugs that are abused by everyone (such as caffeine and sugar) receive legal immunity. It's mob rule. And the mob is addicted to sugar.
###

I quit sugar and all types of it 18 months ago, and I lost 22 pounds. I do eat fruit but no form of process sugars. For my rides a drink water and the sauce on my pastas are made fresh. Stop process sugars and you will feel better,,,,,,,

Good advice, for sure, but you're spewing the ******** gospel from the discredited book "Sugar Blues".

I quit eating sugar, gluten, dairy and peanuts for 6 months as an experiment to see if it would help my allergies. I can't say that I felt a drastic increase in the way I felt though. I CAN say though that trying to eliminate sugar from your diet (minus fruit) is extremely difficult because so many store sold items contain at least a little of it... I am back to eating gluten, dairy and peanuts and sugar cause it didn't help, but I try and find foods that have as little sugar as possible. instead of having a lot of things with sugar in them, I eat very healthy throughout the day and then have 1 small sweet thing either at lunch time or dinner time... right now I'm eating a trio bar as my desert.. it's nothing but nuts and dried fruits.

It's not IMPOSSIBLE -- look at the diabetic population. But unless we're all gonna adopt the diabetic diet, we're pretty much stuck with sugars (HFCS, mainly).

You can only do what you can do, and after that, you're at society's mercy.

Everyone seems to be grumpy in this forum. maybe it the sugar withdrawls.
just kidding. :)

just dont eat known sweet stuff and you will be ok.

bigpedaler said:
It's not IMPOSSIBLE -- look at the diabetic population. But unless we're all gonna adopt the diabetic diet, we're pretty much stuck with sugars (HFCS, mainly).

You can only do what you can do, and after that, you're at society's mercy.

lux41 said:

###

??? you need to sit down with a nice box of chocolates and chill the hell out... :p

lux41 said:
It's a lot more dangerous than marijuana, for example, and yet marijuana is illegal
So you're telling me you'd rather see every kid in the playground bubbling up their bong instead of eating a mars bar?? Get real buddy.:rolleyes: Where you gonna draw the line? No, water is veeeeeery dangerous! Excess consumption can lead to hyponatremia! Swear off water too:D

What is so bad about a little suger? What have you got against short-chain CHO's anyway?

But congrats for living a healthier lifestyle, its good our taxes have one less fatty to take care of:)

lux41, your comparisons to narcotics are a bit far reaching eh? Don't you think one big reason certain drugs are outlawed is because of their potentially harmful effects on others (ex: driving under the influence and crashing into someone and killing them or killing someone due to a drug-provoked chemical super-human rage) or even one's self due to the mind-altering effects (ex: take some PCP and hey, I can fly, so I think I'll jump out of this window now)?

C'dale Girl said:
lux41, your comparisons to narcotics are a bit far reaching eh? Don't you think one big reason certain drugs are outlawed is because of their potentially harmful effects on others (ex: driving under the influence and crashing into someone and killing them or killing someone due to a drug-provoked chemical super-human rage) or even one's self due to the mind-altering effects (ex: take some PCP and hey, I can fly, so I think I'll jump out of this window now)?
Not much point in responding to the OP. OP did a post and run, and was borderline trolling.

TheDarkLord said:
Not much point in responding to the OP. OP did a post and run, and was borderline trolling.
Ok then, well in that case,

Hey everyone else . . . sugar ain't the same as meth, crack, coke, heroine, PCP, LSD, etc., in case you were wondering. ;) :D

Sunday after I did a 45 mile hard ride at avg speed of 21.8 mph, I went to this ice cream place Cold Stone and ordered me this medium size ice cream Chocolate something, it had tones of choc chip and brownies and some kind of caramel in it. I t was really good! Oh well so much for avoiding sugar.

C'dale Girl said:
Ok then, well in that case,

Hey everyone else . . . sugar ain't the same as meth, crack, coke, heroine, PCP, LSD, etc., in case you were wondering. ;) :D

How do you eliminate eating all sugar? I can see eliminating soda, candy, twinkies, etc. from my diet, but almost every product in a grocery store have sugar in them? BTW I really LOL'd about the comment "would you rather see kids bubbling their bongs on the playground or eating a mars bar"

Cocaine, opium and meth are a little more toxic than sugar... and imo don't taste nearly as good

Why not just eat only fresh foods and stay away from just about all processed foods. Is it that difficult? :confused:

This seems to be more of an American problem (I am not attacking the US here, please understand - this is an honest question)... I have not been to the US in five or six years, but isn't it possible to go get your ingredients at a local farmers' market and cook your own food at home?

I go to the supermarket/markets near my home after work, buy fresh what I intend to cook for dinner for 1~2 days, then cook and eat it. And repeat. And I am not faced with a serious sugar problem (I am more challenged by pasta, actually!).

Bingo, Pete. My wife and I eliminated refined sugars from our diet and it was quite easy actually. The biggest key is to eliminate processed foods and drinks. If you read the ingredients of something and sugar is in the top 5 ingredients (that includes HFCS, maltose, dextrose, etc.) then don't put it in your cart. Don't buy any juice that says "100% Juice". The other key is to not make it a religion. We still have the occasional treat. Also practice moderation. A teaspoon of raw cane sugar in your coffee or on your oatmeal is not gonna kill ya. When I shop, I spend most of my time in the produce section and the staple aisles. The rest of the store I just skip. And my personal opinion is that diet soda is just as bad as the sugar-syrup stuff and don't drink either except for the occasional cola during a really long, hard ride.

It really is just common sense.

I will admit to one vice tho - Annie's Cheddar Bunnies. OMG!!!

ClemmonsHoo said:
It really is just common sense.

I will admit to one vice tho - Annie's Cheddar Bunnies. OMG!!!
Indeed. I have to admit to many vices, but those most relevant to this thread are: beer and wine, pasta, cheese and far too much olive oil use.

:eek:

In the summer I deal with it better - I simply ride more and harder. Winter is more challenging for me because of the problem with daylight cutting into riding time.

while your post is well intended, the key is moderation. a little sugar here and there will not and its damaging effect on the human body. Again, as others have mentioned eathing a fresh diet will curb refined sugars and sodium levels.

good luck everyone. and juice!