suggest best carbon fiber for under $2800usd

david462

Apr 3, 2006
i had the old thread about $2500 bikes comparing a specialized, schwinn, and cervelo. that can be deleted by a mod...

ive decided to definitly not order a bike through work to save money since i cant ride it first...

with that said...

i have about $2800 that i will spend on a road bike

i definitly want a carbon fiber frame

i will start out using this bike to get in shape, but plan on racing, joining a club, doing the ms150 etc

i also plan to upgrade the wheels in a couple years so if the wheelset is whats holding a certain bike back from being great, still suggest it

i am a bike tech so i can keep up with the maintenance and tune ups myself

thanks for your input

david462 said:
i had the old thread about $2500 bikes comparing a specialized, schwinn, and cervelo. that can be deleted by a mod...

ive decided to definitly not order a bike through work to save money since i cant ride it first...

with that said...

i have about $2800 that i will spend on a road bike

i definitly want a carbon fiber frame

i will start out using this bike to get in shape, but plan on racing, joining a club, doing the ms150 etc

i also plan to upgrade the wheels in a couple years so if the wheelset is whats holding a certain bike back from being great, still suggest it

i am a bike tech so i can keep up with the maintenance and tune ups myself

thanks for your input
If you decided to go the route of building bike a friend of mine rides for raceconcept.net the Australian distributer will soon be found at rcbikes.net although the page isn't up yet. Race concept build beautiful frames available in full carbon, alloy with carbon stays and forks, full alloy and Ive heard that they also have a range of steel frames although can't vouch for that. They make frames for quite a few larger more expensive brands. You can buy frames very reasonably priced that elsewhere you would pay up to 8 times the price.
I have seen an RAX1 in yellow http://www.raceconcept.net/rax1_eng.html and then the same bike in straight carbon let me say the word awesome. I will be upgrading my frame as soon as I can afford it.

David,

I have a Specialized Tarmac Comp and I absolutely love it. I came off a Giant OCR3 aluminum frame, that my son rides now, and except for the fact that they are both road bikes there is no comparison.

I can't attest to the other bikes that you mentioned but I am now a Specialized guy.

Rob