Suggest cassette style

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Elliott

Bike is presently set up with Ultegra rder, Ultegra 9sp 12x25t cassette stamped "Hyperglide",
Shimano HG 73 chain.

It shifts great. But I need bigger cogs back there. I've used Sheldon's "Custom 9-speed `High &
Wide'" 11x28t cassette on another bike, which gives me the range I want. But it is not HG and the
toothies are not shaped the same as the HG cassettes toothies.

Generally speaking, would we expect to see a difference in shifting performance if we change to
non-HG cogs and keep this chain and rder?

MikeE, who knows this kind of question comes up over and over so all he needs is a quick
one-sentence answer from someone who has played with this kind of stuff a bazillion times. So mark
one of the following:

( ) Don't worry about it, the non-HG cassette will shift just fine

( ) Stick with HG, that's what the chain works best with

( ) Why doncha just try it for cryin' out loud?

In article <[email protected]>, Mike Elliott
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Bike is presently set up with Ultegra rder, Ultegra 9sp 12x25t cassette stamped "Hyperglide",
>Shimano HG 73 chain.
>
>It shifts great. But I need bigger cogs back there. I've used Sheldon's "Custom 9-speed `High &
>Wide'" 11x28t cassette on another bike, which gives me the range I want. But it is not HG and the
>toothies are not shaped the same as the HG cassettes toothies.
>
>Generally speaking, would we expect to see a difference in shifting performance if we change to
>non-HG cogs and keep this chain and rder?

I can tell the difference and the full HG cluster should shift better, but I think Uniglide also
works pretty darn well and would not hesitate to use it if I thought that gearing was important.

HG cogs work a lot better for people with poor shifting habits (ie, shifting under full load while
wallowing on a hill in a great big gear).

But if you learned to shift with Simplex on Atom then Uniglide will already feel wonderful.

Personally I would probably just put on a 12-27 HG cluster and ride the bike rather than fiddle with
it and shifting performance would not be a factor for me.

--Paul

Mike Elliott wrote:
> Bike is presently set up with Ultegra rder, Ultegra 9sp 12x25t cassette stamped "Hyperglide",
> Shimano HG 73 chain.
>
> It shifts great. But I need bigger cogs back there. I've used Sheldon's "Custom 9-speed `High &
> Wide'" 11x28t cassette on another bike, which gives me the range I want. But it is not HG

Yes it is!

> and the toothies are not shaped the same as the HG cassettes toothies.

Hyperglide toothies come in many different shapies.

The 13 tooth cog on the High and Wide is from a different sequence, so the shifts to or from the 13
will be very slightly less smooth than the other shifts.

Have you had problems shifting the High & Wide you have?

> Generally speaking, would we expect to see a difference in shifting performance if we change to
> non-HG cogs and keep this chain and rder?

Virtually all available Shimano cogs are HG. They haven't made Uniglide for at least ten years.
Some 7-speed stuff is IG, which is sort of a more extreme form of HG, but they seem to be going
away from that.

> MikeE, who knows this kind of question comes up over and over so all he needs is a quick
> one-sentence answer from someone who has played with this kind of stuff a bazillion times. So mark
> one of the following:
>
> (X) Don't worry about it, the non-HG cassette will shift just fine
>
> ( ) Stick with HG, that's what the chain works best with
>
> (X) Why doncha just try it for cryin' out loud?

Sheldon "http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#9" Brown
+------------------------------------------------+
| According to the latest official figures, | 43% of all statistics are totally worthless. |
+------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Status
Not open for further replies.