Suggest something for low stamina!

chetanshetty

Jul 23, 2010
I’ve started cycling to work everyday on the Schwinn I recently bought, but because of my low stamina I’m just so tired by the time I reach work. Is there anything I have to change in terms of diet or something??

You'll probably need to give more information before anyone can really help diagnose the issue for you.

Such as;

How long have you been riding?

How many miles are you riding to work?

Other than riding to work, do you do any additional riding?

What are your current eating habits?

What is your general health? For instance, are you overweight, do you have an active lifestyle or is exercise something new, do you have any known health issues, etc.

Give as much information as you feel comfortable to give and you'll probably get some good feedback.

Reactions: Connie858
64Paramount said:
You'll probably need to give more information before anyone can really help diagnose the issue for you.

Such as;

What is your general health? For instance, are you overweight, do you have an active lifestyle or is exercise something new, do you have any known health issues, etc.

Give as much information as you feel comfortable to give and you'll probably get some good feedback.
so many questions. anyway, it is important to check that out

What is your long term cycling goals? Do you someday want to be able to ride a century?

I'm, as well as everyone else here, shooting in the dark since you provided little info. So I'm going to give you the following web site that will guide you into training do to a century ride.

With training will come stamina, and if you follow the schedule religiously you can and will ride a 100 mile ride.

Training for a Century Ride

And the below site is a wealth of info to help you train:

Ultra Cycling: Preparing and Riding a Bicycle Century

If you are like most adults you probably also don't get enough sleep. That will start to show up if you drastically change your exercise habits as well.

TKOS said:
If you are like most adults you probably also don't get enough sleep. That will start to show up if you drastically change your exercise habits as well.

This is true.

You might also be low on testosterone, or anemic. If the training thing, and getting more sleep still finds you low on stamina then tell a doctor; but try those things first because of the obvious...it's a cheap fix.

Froze said:
This is true.

You might also be low on testosterone, or anemic. If the training thing, and getting more sleep still finds you low on stamina then tell a doctor; but try those things first because of the obvious...it's a cheap fix.

Sleeping and stretching are your best bets. Make sure you stretch your lower back as well as your legs, having tight muscles can make sleeping in certain positions more uncomfortable, leaving you to move around a lot in your sleep.

Also, assuming you wake up in the morning to go to work, you need to fuel yourself with a little extra now that you've started cycling to work instead of taking the bus or driving a car.

Try this:
Wake up 15 minutes earlier, and only drink a cup of fruit juice and eat some peanut butter. This will help stop muscle breakdown that occurs during sleep and the peanut butter's fat contents will help fuel you, as well as increase testosterone production. Stretch your legs, try and emphasize a little groin/hip stretch, too. Eat breakfast, leave for work.

If you want to go the supplement route, try FRS or combine GABA with fish oil.

64Paramount said:

Such as;

Yes other than riding to work I do go out with my friends. Health wise I am average not overweight. And talking about miles I dun actually know. Is there any accessory that would would help me to calculate it?

chetanshetty said:
Yes other than riding to work I do go out with my friends. Health wise I am average not overweight. And talking about miles I dun actually know. Is there any accessory that would would help me to calculate it?

There's this thing known as bike computer which calculates trip distance, trip time, average speed etc etc...You can check it out at "www.sigmasport.com". And if you want any other info on fitness or some cycling tips you can mail on "[email protected]" and they'll send you some Catalogs, info etc..

I take actigin for endurance, it really helped me. Although check to see if it's something medical before relying on a supplement.

eat good (vitamins+protein foods)
sleep well (6-8 hours)
then challenge your body and mind

no body can perform well, if its not getting its supply

A healthy diet and eating three times a day I think is the normal thing to do and is enough for us to go about through our day. Naturally our energy expenditure is fueled by food and if we eat healthily and on-time then normally there should be no problem. Maybe you are burned out too much because of cycling or other physical activity or work stress. Ample rest time is also important to regain our energy and strength.

My suggestion is slowly building up your milage. Start off slow, and begin to pick up speed. By the end of the week, you should be able to see some type of improvement. Also, I recommend some tempo work. Go slow for 5 minutes, then fast for 30 seconds. You can adjust this plan to your liking, but it will improve your stamina.

Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily. What most people don't realize is how powerful water is. If you are dehydrated, then definitely your body is not able to function as normal and this slows you down and you start feeling sleepy, sluggish, and you may even have headaches. I personally have an app on my phone that tracks my water intake daily and I really noticed that when I don't drink enough, I feel really tired and I lack energy. Drink 8-10 glasses of water for straight 5 days and you'll notice how much of a difference it can make on your energy level.

Reactions: Avocadogirl
You didn't give a ton of information. However, if you're just feeling tired after biking it may just be lack of physical fitness. I think if you just keep biking, you will feel gradually less tired. Do you have any experience with biking in the past? If so, then it might be something else. Also, as other have suggested, water is the best for everything.

I believe practice is the best way to get a good stamina. Nothing else can be really useful. I do believe that hat having a good stamina is very useful. Nothing else actually matters.

I agree with the posts above. Before you consider supplementing, make sure you get enough sleep and recovery in between your work outs and you follow a clean diet. In my case, I found that vitamin B complex helps with stamina. I also take bcaa during super long workouts but I don't think it has much of an effect on stamina but rather in preventing muscle catabolism.

Green tea has always been a great thing for me. When I have green tea in the morning it always wakes me up and makes me feel better and give me the energy that I need to go about my day. I usually have green tea with an actual green tea supplement as well I think the combination of the two really make me feel good and give me the stamina that I require during my ride.

One thing that you may not take into consideration is sugar in your diet. Too much processed sugar and carbs can cause fatigue. For the longest time I had issues with energy and it wasn't until I went to see a doctor that I was told to change my diet and cut down on processed sugar. It worked wonders for me.