Suggest template for "Whick Bike should I buy" questions

yokobethcoyote

Aug 26, 2003
There are lots of folks asking about which bike they should buy. I wonder if a standard template would be good. Here's my shot at it.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMIER
-------------------------------
*** Always testride multiple bikes at LBS; seeing/feeling is the ultimate test ***
Since you still may be torn after riding multiple bikes at LBS, use the following template to ask input from others:

About ME:
------------
39 yrs old; 20 lbs overweigtht @ 195lb but still in reasonable shape through running/basketball; rode ~dozen times last summer for first time in about 8 yrs; 3x up Mt Diable (3800 ft, 55mi round trip from my house); Used to be really into cycling: In '92 drove from former home in Illnois to Rocky Mt. Natl Park and rode over trail ridge road (highest continuous rd in US --> AWESOME) on my'91 Cannondale T600 touring bike which is ALL Al (buick of cycling?). The 'dale is my current bike. Graduated and moved to Si Valley and job took all my time for many years. Currently out of shape but psyched to use cycling to get in shape. LOVE getting out in on cool terrain (i.e. bay area) and riding. Can't get out as much as I want due to job; plus side of job is I make decent $, so $ not as important a factor. Not gonna drop $4k, but willing (want to?) pay for a steed above my current abilities - ostensibly to grow into it..really, though, one component is the 'toy factor'...like cool stuff. NO interest in racing anyone or anything competitive. Ride purely for fitness/fun/stress relief. Only thing remotely competitive is trying to better my time up Mt. Diablo..for no other reason than to feel good if I can. It says I'm getting in better shape.

My Bike Thoughts:
-----------------------
Want to spend ~$2k. TREK '04 2300 comes to mind. There are many others to choose from. I know the TREK may not be cool as some others (Chevy of cycling?) but it seems put together with some thought in mind: Al (cheaper than C,Ti); fork+seatstay Carbon (improve ride); Ultegra (overkill for my abilies at this point, but a very good group). What am I overlooking with this reasoning, if anything?

My Question:
-----------------
What's the feeling on knowledgable folks on my situation. I have thick skin, so welcome the gamut of responses.

well if you're gonna spend 2K plus and look at the Trek 2300, you might as well test ride the 5200 at $2500. Occasionally these bikes may go on sale for a little bit less.

Also, look at the Klein Q pro from season clearance. I've seen them at 2K plus, with Ultegra.

I have just recently finished building a Kesttrel Talon. Mine is a bit much over 2K because I put in some nice after market parts. But you can get one stock out with Ultegra for around 2200.

How about the Giant TCR composite? a very good value road bike with all carbon and Ultegra for $2K.

Again make sure you get fitted properly for a bike ffrom a good knowledgeable fiiter (certified?). walk away from those salesman whoses ideas of fit is just by gazing at your size and thinks that stem length will solve all your fitting problems.

These are all well known and popular bikes that offer good performance and "toy" factors, IMO.
GL