Suggested routes- 2 wk tour of Netherlands

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Glen Beer, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glen Beer

Glen Beer Guest

My family is planning on a 2 week cycling vacation in the netherlands this summer; 2 adults, kids
    12 & 14. We will ride for about 10 days and do 35- 40 miles/ day, say 400 miles or 675 km total.We
    fly from L.
    A. and start and finish in Amsterdam.

I've received the Netherlands cycling map. We could take two of the national mapped loops, or do
    something more unique. No camping for us, We'll stay in hotels.

Any suggestions for especially fabulous towns or locations/ tours we should go to. Thanks.

Tags:

2. Tom Arnold

Tom Arnold Guest

[email protected] (Glen Beer) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > My family is planning on a 2 week cycling vacation in the netherlands this summer; 2 adults, kids
    > 12 & 14. We will ride for about 10 days and do 35- 40 miles/ day, say 400 miles or 675 km total.We
    > fly from L.
    > A. and start and finish in Amsterdam.
    >
    > I've received the Netherlands cycling map. We could take two of the national mapped loops, or do
    > something more unique. No camping for us, We'll stay in hotels.
    >
    > Any suggestions for especially fabulous towns or locations/ tours we should go to. Thanks.

Did Amsterdam to Roubaix this summer -- the coast ride south of amsterdam is particularly good.

Gouda was a great little town. As was Bruge.

Honestly I think the cycling network is so good there, you should just pick destinations that you
    want to go and go for it.

Tom

3. George

George Guest

We espcially enjoyed Texel Island -- stayed there two nights -- and the stretch from Kampen down to
    the Kroller-Muller Museum was amaxingly wild and unpopulated (amazing for such a small and densely
    populated nation).

There's a map of our route and and a bunch of pics at:
    http://www.gfonline.org/FamaZine/Detail.cfm?ID=74

George

Glen Beer wrote:
    > My family is planning on a 2 week cycling vacation in the netherlands this summer; 2 adults, kids
    > 12 & 14. We will ride for about 10 days and do 35- 40 miles/ day, say 400 miles or 675 km total.We
    > fly from L.
    > A. and start and finish in Amsterdam.
    >
    > I've received the Netherlands cycling map. We could take two of the national mapped loops, or do
    > something more unique. No camping for us, We'll stay in hotels.
    >
    > Any suggestions for especially fabulous towns or locations/ tours we should go to. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.