Suggested upgrades to a Bianchi Pista

roccopendola

May 31, 2006
I just got that sweet chrome Bianchi Pista with just the front brake (I am daring, but just could not go brakeless). Great bike and I am thinking it is going to greatly improve my strength as a rider.

Anyhow, I might like to make some upgrades, but I was looking for some thoughts on exactly what to upgrade and to what, considering that I cannot spend tons of cash on it and will probably EBay it up, ya know. SO, what 1, 2, or 3 things would you replace and for what???

Thanks!

roccopendola said:
I just got that sweet chrome Bianchi Pista with just the front brake (I am daring, but just could not go brakeless). Great bike and I am thinking it is going to greatly improve my strength as a rider.

Anyhow, I might like to make some upgrades, but I was looking for some thoughts on exactly what to upgrade and to what, considering that I cannot spend tons of cash on it and will probably EBay it up, ya know. SO, what 1, 2, or 3 things would you replace and for what???

Thanks!
Seat? Tires? Handlebar tape? There really aren't a lot of things to change on a track bike. Better motor maybe?

As Retro Grouch said, there's really not much to change. However, if you plan on racing on the track, you might think about getting a set of tubular wheels....I'm assuming that your bike came with the Mavic Ellipse, which have a good reputation, however they are clinchers. Although I race and train on clinchers for road races, I wouldn't use anything except tubulars on the track. Just the thought of clinchers on a banking sends shivers down my spine...

Retro Grouch said:
Seat? Tires? Handlebar tape? There really aren't a lot of things to change on a track bike. Better motor maybe?
Boy, tough crowd!

I thought it was an easy question.

Ya know, replace the ALEXRIMS 400T wheelset with .... cuz they are less than

Or toss on a carbon seat post cuz it looks cool...

etc, etc...

roccopendola said:
Boy, tough crowd!

I thought it was an easy question.

Ya know, replace the ALEXRIMS 400T wheelset with .... cuz they are less than

Or toss on a carbon seat post cuz it looks cool...

etc, etc...
well you just answered your own question.

I own a Bianchi Pista with a front brake for road training. I don't know if you would call it an upgrade, but I have just about the whole set of cogs and a bike computer with cadence. Other than that, I don't know why I would want to upgrade it. I don't want it to be fast, so I don't want fast wheels or tires. What I really want is a power meter, but I don't feel like investing in a PM for a fixie road bike.

wilmar13 said:

Safety and grip for starters. Given a choice, I'd rather have a tubular blowout than a clincher, where you would end up riding (actually, sliding!) down the banking on the rim. Furthermore, since the track is a clean, flat surface, using tubies means you can go higher pressures than on most clinchers. That is not to say that I haven't used clinchers on the track; I *have*; however, only for tt applications where I knew I would be riding at the bottom (definately below the stayer's line) and solo. I used a Michelin Pro Race, and it was fine for that purpose....however, the max pressure is only 8 bars....so for all other events I use my Vittoria Pista tubulars at about 11 and 12 bars; they have noticably more grip for sprint events (where I would of course, be up on the banking...for example, Keirin and Points race). Interestingly enough....I have never seen an NJS certified clincher....and I don't think there ever will be.

BikingBrian said:
Safety and grip for starters. Given a choice, I'd rather have a tubular blowout than a clincher, where you would end up riding (actually, sliding!) down the banking on the rim. Furthermore, since the track is a clean, flat surface, using tubies means you can go higher pressures than on most clinchers. That is not to say that I haven't used clinchers on the track; I *have*; however, only for tt applications where I knew I would be riding at the bottom (definately below the stayer's line) and solo. I used a Michelin Pro Race, and it was fine for that purpose....however, the max pressure is only 8 bars....so for all other events I use my Vittoria Pista tubulars at about 11 and 12 bars; they have noticably more grip for sprint events (where I would of course, be up on the banking...for example, Keirin and Points race). Interestingly enough....I have never seen an NJS certified clincher....and I don't think there ever will be.
All true, but I guess I still don't see why clinchers would send shivers up your spine, especially if you were a newb and may not want to mess with tubulars(how often do clincher blowouts happen at the track?).

I get the impression the OP is using his bike for road riding anyway where clinchers have a decided advantage.

wilmar13 said:
All true, but I guess I still don't see why clinchers would send shivers up your spine, especially if you were a newb and may not want to mess with tubulars(how often do clincher blowouts happen at the track?).

I get the impression the OP is using his bike for road riding anyway where clinchers have a decided advantage.

Good points. I also use clinchers on the road for convenience and economy of use. However, anyone who may want to get into track racing would do well to learn how to glue on tubies - there are a lot more tubular track-specific racing tyres than clinchers available. And it's not difficult.
On the other hand, if like you said, the OP won't be racing....then yeah, of course there would be no reason for him to think about tubies. I guessed that since he was looking at "upgrades" that perhaps he might have been thinking about getting into track competition, no?

Sounds like he just wants to add some bling to his bike. If you are riding on the street instead of the track, I'd start with replacing the Alex wheels with something like the Velocity Deep-V's with Phil Wood hubs and Sapim spokes. Then swap the bars for some road bars or bullhorns. Check out the Nitto bars. Customize the bar tape. Get yourself a Brooks saddle, the B-17 is for more upright riding so grab a Swift or a Team Pro.

You only just got it and you're wanting to upgrade? Just ride it. I ride a fixie which has cracks in the frame, severely bent drop-outs and a shagged headtube which has the headset floating like a **** in a sock. The whole bike is the epitome of poor health and develops an horrific shimmy when descending with pissy little 165 cranks at knee-blurring speeds, but she sure is fun to ride. I had to put a front brake on it when she-who-must-be-obeyed threatened me with castration if I didn't (I take her threats seriously).
Bling, Bling, piece of string. Bikes aren't for looking at. Less time shopping = more time riding.

I just got the gang green pista.

I like it so far (only ridden about 150 miles), but it is a whole different ride than my Trek 5200.

One thing I've noticed is that my legs are tired in a whole different way; specifically, my hamstrings have been getting all locked up after riding the fixed gear...

A few things: I wonder if I put a carbon seat post on this thing, will it dampen some of the shakiness coming through the steel frame? Likewise, will a carbon fork help in a noticeable way?

No problem with clinchers on the track.

Don't bring the NJS into this. You'll never see an NJS carbon frame, carbon wheels, etc. etc. either.