Suggestion: Cycling Past 50

Discussion in 'Tell us what you think!' started by billydonn, Sep 2, 2010.

1. billydonn

billydonn New Member

I noticed there is forum for younger riders and a forum for clydesdales, but none for older riders. Why not have one to share the particular concerns and experiences or riders over 50? I think it would be popular. Just an idea... thanks.

Tags:

2. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

+1

3. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

+2

4. clx1

clx1 New Member

I'm 55 and don't understand why the over 50s need specific threads, are our circumstances different from a 40 year old? On this logic you could have a thread dedicated to 50s 60s 70s etc.
    Sounds like reverse ageism to me.

5. billydonn

billydonn New Member

Yes our circumstances are different from younger people in many obvious ways. As to "ageism", if you don't think you'd be interested in a 50+ group fine... but don't start name calling based on concepts you don't understand. It isn't ageism (or sexism etc.) unless you define a group as inherently inferior to another.

6. Randy Bosma

Randy Bosma New Member

Sounds like a good idea to this 50+ cyclist.

7. clx1

clx1 New Member

Don't be so touchy, having a different opinion from someone doesn't make it name calling!

8. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

I don't see the need nor the application of such a forum. After all, every rider's needs are different, and those needs aren't necessarily defined by age at all. I think the forum, in general, serves the needs of riders well. I don't think there's any special information to be had for 50+ crowd, especially as physical condition, endurance, and etc. aren't defined by age.

9. clx1

clx1 New Member

Exactly!

10. billydonn

billydonn New Member

You said "Sounds like reverse ageism to me." Perhaps you should be more careful with glib remarks like that.

11. billydonn

billydonn New Member

If this is true I'm wondering why the field of gerontology exists and why there are senior divisions in all kinds of sports, including cycling. With age:

• Maximum HR decreases
    • Exercise recovery time declines
    • More muscular-skeletal and joint problems occur
    • Injury recovery time increases
    • Reflexes and balance decline
    • Increased risk of cancer, stroke, etc.
    • Memory, eyesight, hair loss, skin tone, sex drive issues etc.
    Exercise can slow down these declines but it cannot totally stop them. Given these realities, older persons, especially those just entering or returning to cycling, are likely to face special challenges. In addition, persons over 50 will know about Elvis, the cold war, the Beatles, Motown, musclecars, and disco... etc. etc.

I know you were only speaking tongue-in-cheek in your post and actually intended to help me make my point. Thanks!

12. alienator

Didn't sound "glib" to me.

13. alienator

Wow. Your post has a lot to do with nothing. Hmmmmm.

Oh, my post wasn't tonge in cheek, and I could care less about your point, which tries to paint too many people with a broad brush. Perhaps you could use a bit more practice on either your mind reading or reading comprehension skills....or both.

I'm happy you were able to figure out Google and look up gerontology. That must have been a massive success. While you were doing that, it's really awesome that you overlooked all the people on the list who are already over 50 and haven't been having any problems at all with the forum. Well, clearly you are the over 50 messiah people have been waiting for! Set your people free!

14. clx1

clx1 New Member

Couldn't have put it better myself!

15. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

16. alienator

I think there ought to be a forum for people 30-35, as well as for people 36-40. Then there could be a forum for people 41-46 and another for 47-49.9999. As we've heard, there's something extra special for people 50 or older, so to appease their geriatricness--well, obviously 50 is old, right--there ought to be forums for each year, starting at 50 and ending at 80.

There should also be a forum for people that are color blind. Then there should be a forum for people that have or have had broken bones, obviously since they have special needs, just like old people do. There could be a forum for people with arthritis, and then there could be a forum for transgender cyclists since they might not feel comfortable discussing their cycling issues with people who have their original factory parts.

A forum for people with histories of depression and/or PTSD would be good as they may face special hurdles--both in training and in cycling in general--that other riders (even riders with whom gerontologists might be concerned) might not understand.

There ought to be a forum for learning disabled riders and another for riders who have colostomies. Then it would be entirely appropriate and only fair to have a forum for people who are prone to getting sunburns and are in high risk categories for skin cancer.

Those forums would be a good start, and I'll bet within a year we could quadruple the number of forums so that Cycling Forums could cater to the top 25% (in terms of the given "special need's" distribution in the public at large) special needs. Of course, in the following year, it would only be fair to make strides to open sub-forums catering to the lower 75% of special needs--people with large shoe size differential between left and right feet; people with sweat that is particularly stingy in the eyes; people whose body chemistry tends to yellow whites and other light colored clothing; people who actually meant to vote for Pat Buchanan in Florida, during the 2000 presidential election.

Clearly, it's demonstrably difficult for people to find meaningful topics to read on the forum. That can only be fixed by having a bunch more sub-forums. Bunches. After all, what kind of silly person could reasonably expect a 56 y.o. cyclist to post a training question in the training sub-forum, eh? I mean, really, come on, jeez, what the heck people? A google search on gerontology yields multiple results! Clearly, there must be a desperate need for such a sub-forum.

Any potential new sub-forums should automatically be added if a vague google search yields any results at all!

17. bulaboy

bulaboy New Member

How about a forum for guys who rant and foam at the mouth. Then if some 50 plus guys want to talk to each other about cycling they won't have to scroll past posts like the one above.

18. alienator

Please, don't take yourself so seriously. The post was only ranting and foaming if you like to exaggerate greatly. Otherwise, it was pretty obviously not foaming and ranting. You could also try to point out the foaming and ranting, but you'd fail since there's none to be found.

On a serious point, why not add a sh1t load more sub-forums to cater to every whim? I mean iffin' we gotta have one for those that have crossed that defining precipice of 50 years in this plane of existence, then we should cater to every whim and fancy, right?

From here on out, let's take ourselves deathly seriously. As such, I think it would not only be just but also achingly inspiring to name Bulaboy as the Rosa Parks of the 50+ crowd. Attaboy, Bulaboy! All of your hard work and sweat have finally paid off! Here's your prize: the Golden Scooter! Congratulations! Use it proudly!

19. bulaboy

bulaboy New Member

What makes you think I was talking about you? Were you foaming?

And really... which of us is taking this seriously?

20. alienator

Well, you were if you think you read a foaming rant anywhere in the thread....or are you just prone to exaggerating?