Suggestion For Name for Bike

> Do your bikes have names?

The hybrid is called Eistla (female giant in Norse mythology - make is Giant, natch). The new
road bike has make names: official - Anna, unofficial - The Red Terror. My g/f calls it "the red
heap of cr*p".

My previous bike was called Marchant after the bicycle in the Robert Rankin books that had its soul
sold to The Devil by its owner & hence could only go round anti-clockwise corners.

Mark

Mark wrote:

> My previous bike was called Marchant after the bicycle in the Robert Rankin books that had its
> soul sold to The Devil by its owner & hence could only go round anti-clockwise corners.

Oddly enuff, when in Mark II fully-faired mode, my Kingcycle was Marchant The Wonder Bike. The Mark
One Version was The Pink Fairy - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/images/gto/Leicester93.jpg

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Dave Larrington wrote:
> Oddly enuff, when in Mark II fully-faired mode, my Kingcycle was Marchant The Wonder Bike. The
> Mark One Version was The Pink Fairy -
> http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/images/gto/Leicester93.jpg

Blimey! That's the first time I've looked at a picture of a bike and immediately thought "penis
extension".

Thomas Paine

On Wed, 21 May 2003 13:19:45 +0100, "Mark"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Do your bikes have names?

None of my bikes have names.

>My previous bike was called Marchant after the bicycle in the Robert Rankin books that had its soul
>sold to The Devil by its owner & hence could only go round anti-clockwise corners.

However I have cycled with a bloke called Jim Pooley.

Tim

Jim Price wrote:

> martin wrote:

>> What's the naffest actual name put on a bike by a manufacturer?
>
> I'd have to say a Claude Butler from a while ago, called a "Pagan".

A few years back, Claud Butler seemed to go through a phase of naming mountain bikes after sports
cars. There was a "Vantage" and a couple sharing the names of Maseratis. Well, almost. I think it
was the one which was nearly called the "Kyalami" which had the spiliing eror. They probabaly claim
it was deliberate, but I reckon no-one noticed until after the stickers were printed...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Thu, 22 May 2003 11:33:59 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

>A few years back, Claud Butler seemed to go through a phase of naming mountain bikes after sports
>cars. There was a "Vantage" and a couple sharing the names of Maseratis. Well, almost. I think it
>was the one which was nearly called the "Kyalami" which had the spiliing eror. They probabaly claim
>it was deliberate, but I reckon no-one noticed until after the stickers were printed...

Off Topic

Wasn't Kyalami a race track in South Africa? IIRC, t'was the place when Nigel Mansell won his
second Grand Prix in 1984/5ish - he'd won a race, his first, the European GP at Brands Hatch the
previous year.

Also, IIRC, wasn't Kyalami the place where an overzealous marshall, carrying a fire extinguisher,
ran into the main straight and was promptly splatted by an F1 car?

Ah, memories, I think.

James

James Hodson wrote:

> Off Topic
>
> Wasn't Kyalami a race track in South Africa? IIRC, t'was the place when Nigel Mansell won his
> second Grand Prix in 1984/5ish - he'd won a race, his first, the European GP at Brands Hatch the
> previous year.

It was indeed. Maserati named their motorcar after it.

> Also, IIRC, wasn't Kyalami the place where an overzealous marshall, carrying a fire extinguisher,
> ran into the main straight and was promptly splatted by an F1 car?

Also korekt. Alas, the fire extinguisher in question struck Shadow driver Tom Pryce square in
the face and killed him instantly. There were a few pundits who rated Pryce as a potential
world champion.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Thu, 22 May 2003 16:48:41 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

>James Hodson wrote:
>
>> Off Topic
>>
>It was indeed. Maserati named their motorcar after it.

Didn't know that.

>Also korekt.

[SNIP loadsa stuff]

At least my IIRCometer is working correctly.

Any finally, in the days when Williams were sponsored by Saudia, did you know that the family Bin
Laden put some dosh towards F1's greatest team?

James

martin wrote:

> What's the naffest actual name put on a bike by a manufacturer? a few recently spotted: Stealth
> Bruiser Intense (touring bike?) Guru and the incredibly imaginative Free Spirit range; e.g FS 26
> Index 18 (I took the Echelon stickers off my Falcon before finding out what one was!)

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/evilbike.html

Sheldon "Evil Lurks..." Brown +---------------------------------------+
| Wherever books are burned | men also, in the end, are burned. | --Heine |
+---------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> See: http://sheldonbrown.com/evilbike.html

I'd forgotten about that - superb stuff. Do the MBA god botherers still censor their ads then? I
haven't been desperate enough to buy it in a few years.

--
Andy Armstrong, Tagish

On Sat, 17 May 2003 20:40:04 +0100, contributor M Series had scribed:
> My bikes don't have names, I refer to them as The Merckx, The Peugeot and the touring bike.
> My mountain bike which I no longer have was known as The Pink Peril, my mate Vince W gave it
> that name.

Th only bike that I had that was known by any name is a Raleigh Supurb roadster, I used as a student
in the late 1970s. In the first year it was painted yellow (gearcase included) in the hope of giving
it a unique colour and referred to as the "Yellow Peril", for the second year it was repainted to
chocolate brown and yellow was too common on campus after which time it remained nameless. The bike
suffered an accident with a parked car in the vicinity of 66 University Road and bent two tubes at
the end of the penultimate term, for the next term the parts (except gearcase) were transferred to
another frame (which didn't have steering lock). My best man wrote off a bicycle frame in a similar
on the same section of road, so couldn't use it in his speech.

Gary

--

The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

Gary Knighton wrote:

> Th only bike that I had that was known by any name is a Raleigh Supurb roadster, I used as a
> student in the late 1970s. In the first year it was painted yellow (gearcase included) in the hope
> of giving it a unique colour and referred to as the "Yellow Peril", for the second year it was
> repainted to chocolate brown and yellow was too common on campus after which time it remained
> nameless.
I would have been *so* tempted to call a chocolate-brown bike the "Flying T**d"

Mike K Smith wrote:
> Gary Knighton wrote:
>

>>Th only bike that I had that was known by any name is a Raleigh Supurb roadster, I used as a
>>student in the late 1970s. In the first year it was painted yellow (gearcase included) in the hope
>>of giving it a unique colour and referred to as the "Yellow Peril", for the second year it was
>>repainted to chocolate brown and yellow was too common on campus after which time it remained
>>nameless.
>
> I would have been *so* tempted to call a chocolate-brown bike the "Flying T**d"

As would I be tempted to call a camoflage painted bike the "flying sqaudie".

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Aye!.

Jim Price wrote:

> As would I be tempted to call a camoflage painted bike the "flying sqaudie".

I did know of a courier who, when pulled for going the wrong way down a one-way street, told the
Ossifer that the make of his cammo-coloured bike was "*******" and the model "Desert Storm". For
best results, imagine this said in a full-on Ulster accent.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Mike K Smith wrote:
> Gary Knighton wrote:
>
>> Th only bike that I had that was known by any name is a Raleigh Supurb roadster, I used as a
>> student in the late 1970s. In the first year it was painted yellow (gearcase included) in the
>> hope of giving it a unique colour and referred to as the "Yellow Peril", for the second year it
>> was repainted to chocolate brown and yellow was too common on campus after which time it remained
>> nameless.
> I would have been *so* tempted to call a chocolate-brown bike the "Flying T**d"

Thanks, I almost choked on a bottle of Deuchars IPA reading that. :)
--
Mark

I'm getting something special built for me.

Jack King of Colchester Rovers, and holder of many time trial records had EXCRETUM AGITUM neatly
lettered on his frame ....... salute Dan Gregory