Suggestions for 26/36/46 crank?

Mike King

Guest
I'm looking for a 26/36/46 crank. So far I have found Sugino XD (inexpensive), and Race Face Turbine
(expensive). I have also thought about getting a Shimano XT or LX crank and changing the rings, but
it looks to be more expensive than buying a crank and ring set.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Mike

Mike-<< I'm looking for a 26/36/46 crank. So far I have found Sugino XD (inexpensive), and Race Face
Turbine (expensive).

TA Zephyr-about $200-

Peter,

Thanks for the suggestion. What makes the TA worth so much more than the $70 Sugino? Durability,
weight, looks?

Mike

> Mike-<< I'm looking for a 26/36/46 crank. So far I have found Sugino XD (inexpensive), and Race
> Face Turbine (expensive).
>
> TA Zephyr-about $200-

"Mike King" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for a 26/36/46 crank. So far I have found Sugino XD (inexpensive), and Race Face
> Turbine (expensive). I have also thought about getting a Shimano XT or LX crank and changing the
> rings, but it looks to be more expensive than buying a crank and ring set.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mike

Ritchey? I'm not sure if he's making a 110 triple these days, but I know I've seen them around
(ebay, etc.).

There's bound to be someone out there with an older XTR crankset, look around.

Mike

The previous generation XTR stuff came two ways

4 arm 24/34/46 5 arm 26/36/48

It is still available new, and is quite nice. The 5 arm has the advantage of being on the
110/74 pattern

Also, if you are looking for something inexpensive, Shimano made a RSX
26/36/46 crankset some years ago, adn i see them sometimes on e-bay.

Bob

>I'm looking for a 26/36/46 crank. So far I have found Sugino XD (inexpensive), and Race Face
>Turbine (expensive).

I like the older 110-74 cranks, the Sugino's, the Suntour's, Shimano XT and LX's as well as Deores
and some of the Sugino's.

If you are willing to go used, these are good choices and should be inexpensive. I see bikes with
these for sale for $20 or so. Finding rings larger than 46 is a tough go for anything that is
smaller than a 110 bolt circle so using modern Shimano is probably out.

Someone suggest Richey cranks, I think these are/were made by Suginos.

I save 110-74 cranks because I think they are the best all around cranks going.

jon isaacs

"Robert Quindazzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The previous generation XTR stuff came two ways
>
> 4 arm 24/34/46 5 arm 26/36/48
>
> It is still available new, and is quite nice. The 5 arm
has the
> advantage of being on the 110/74 pattern

Even better would be XTR from two generations ago, the original XTR from the mid-90s. These were the
polished, forged, one piece, 5-arm models. However, they use modern BB axle lengths, 108-113mm,
instead of the 122mm of earlier models. They came in 24 or 26, 36, and 46 or 48 rings. 24-36-46 was
most common. One of these cranks would be my first choice.

> Also, if you are looking for something inexpensive,
Shimano made a RSX
> 26/36/46 crankset some years ago, adn i see them sometimes
on e-bay.

The RSX would be a good way to go.

Also an older XT or DX crank from the early 90s. Come to think of it, Suntour XC Pro cranks from the
same era would be good too, as well as Ritchey, another one of my favorites. I see all of these for
sale on ebay, etc. Rivendell sells some too.

Matt O.

Hi Peter I too have the same question. How much should I spend on bike parts and deciding the
appropriate quality level. Reply by mail if this is not general interest enough

Kevin

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet>

> Ritchey? I'm not sure if he's making a 110 triple these days, but I know I've seen them around
> (ebay, etc.).

Rivendell sells Ritchey triples - $230 with 46/36/24 rings and doubles - $155 with 46/34 rings.

rivendellbicycles.com

Steve Bailey

"Mike King" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for a 26/36/46 crank. So far I have found Sugino XD (inexpensive), and Race Face
> Turbine (expensive). I have also thought about getting a Shimano XT or LX crank and changing the
> rings, but it looks to be more expensive than buying a crank and ring set.

The Sugino is inexpensive but a very nice crank - not at all "cheap".

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 17:49:21 +0000, Jon Isaacs wrote:

> Finding rings larger than 46 is a tough go for anything that is smaller than a 110 bolt circle so
> using modern Shimano is probably out.

Not really. 46 itself is easily available in 94mm, and 48 is also fairly easy to find. He doesn't
want larger than 46, just 46. A 94/58mm crank will have the advantage of being able to go smaller in
the middle or granny, too.

But I would avoid the 4-bolt Shimano cranks; since there is not as much aftermarket supply of
chainrings in other than Shimano-decreed sizes.

> I save 110-74 cranks because I think they are the best all around cranks going.

I collect, it seems, 94/58 cranks for the same reason.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or _`\(,_ | that we are to
stand by the president right or wrong, is not (_)/ (_) | only unpatriotic and servile, but is
morally treasonable to the American public. --Theodore Roosevelt

> "Robert Quindazzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > The previous generation XTR stuff came two ways
> >
> > 4 arm 24/34/46 5 arm 26/36/48
> >
> > It is still available new, and is quite nice. The 5 arm
> has the
> > advantage of being on the 110/74 pattern
>
> Even better would be XTR from two generations ago, the original XTR from the mid-90s. These were
> the polished, forged, one piece, 5-arm models. However, they use modern BB axle lengths,
> 108-113mm, instead of the 122mm of earlier models. They came in 24 or 26, 36, and 46 or 48 rings.
> 24-36-46 was most common. One of these cranks would be my first choice.
>
> > Also, if you are looking for something inexpensive,
> Shimano made a RSX
> > 26/36/46 crankset some years ago, adn i see them sometimes
> on e-bay.
>
> The RSX would be a good way to go.
>
> Also an older XT or DX crank from the early 90s. Come to think of it, Suntour XC Pro cranks from
> the same era would be good too, as well as Ritchey, another one of my favorites. I see all of
> these for sale on ebay, etc. Rivendell sells some too.

Yes, and many of these can be had out of Euro Asia. Count on paying big bucks for an M900 crank.

Robin Hubert

Should someone be interested, I have an XT 730 right arm in very good condition and a Tourney GS
too. I have an A400 left arm that is a good match to the XT. I have no idea of their value or
quality level.

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The Sugino is inexpensive but a very nice crank - not at all "cheap".

I second that. The last XD-500 crank I got was a classier piece of equipment than you are likely to
see on up-to date bikes at any price range. I don't like the contour of the new arms as much, but
that appears to be the only change in the product since I last bought one.

It was IIRC cold-forged and beautifully finished, with the only strange thing about it being the odd
5th ring bolt coincident with the crankarm a la Campy C-Record.

If it's much cheaper than other options, that's only because it's a better value. I'd take it over
any Shimano junk even at the same price. I don't ride square taper cranks any more, or I'd likely
have a few sets of these on my bikes.

Rivendell have a nice description of the up-to-date XD cranks, if not a terribly nice asking price:

http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/cranks_bbs_c-rings/12067.html

Chalo Colina