Suggestions for a christmas gift under $30 for a cycling nut?

NOSPAM

Guest
Hi guys and gals,

I need to get a gift under $30 for a friend of mine. I ride and so does he
so we both browse the same velonews and performance ect. catalogues so I'm
trying to think of a cool toy I can buy for him or his bike that will really
be different.

Only prob is the secret swap rules means I'm limited to $30.

He's into his road racing (on tv and in real life Cat 4) and does some
mountainbiking.

I've lost touch with the shops lately, are there any cool, gee-whiz products
out there at the moment? A couple of years ago cool gifts were the park
toilet paper holder, road bar-end led caps, carbon headset covers, smartwool
socks, campag wine bottle openers....

It can be clothing, equipment, cycling dvds but no food or mag subscriptions
as he already gets them all.

any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

NOSPAM wrote:
> Hi guys and gals,
>
> I need to get a gift under $30 for a friend of mine. I ride and so does he
> so we both browse the same velonews and performance ect. catalogues so I'm
> trying to think of a cool toy I can buy for him or his bike that will really
> be different.
>

> any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance!

If the gift were for me I'd be really thankful for a new chain or a box
of "Power Bar Power Gel."

"NOSPAM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi guys and gals,
>
> I need to get a gift under $30 for a friend of mine. I ride and so does he
> so we both browse the same velonews and performance ect. catalogues so I'm
> trying to think of a cool toy I can buy for him or his bike that will
> really be different.
>
> Only prob is the secret swap rules means I'm limited to $30.
>
> He's into his road racing (on tv and in real life Cat 4) and does some
> mountainbiking.
>
> I've lost touch with the shops lately, are there any cool, gee-whiz
> products out there at the moment? A couple of years ago cool gifts were
> the park toilet paper holder, road bar-end led caps, carbon headset
> covers, smartwool socks, campag wine bottle openers....
>
> It can be clothing, equipment, cycling dvds but no food or mag
> subscriptions as he already gets them all.
>
> any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance!

http://store.bicyclerevolution.com/patotopaho.html - I'm sure you can find
it under 30 somewhere else.

Cycling socks, water bottles, gloves, bartape, mainetance stuff...
its all good as long as it's cycling related ;)

-J

NOSPAM wrote:
> Hi guys and gals,
>
> I need to get a gift under $30 for a friend of mine. I ride and so does he
> so we both browse the same velonews and performance ect. catalogues so I'm
> trying to think of a cool toy I can buy for him or his bike that will really
> be different.
>
> Only prob is the secret swap rules means I'm limited to $30.
>
> He's into his road racing (on tv and in real life Cat 4) and does some
> mountainbiking.
>
> I've lost touch with the shops lately, are there any cool, gee-whiz products
> out there at the moment? A couple of years ago cool gifts were the park
> toilet paper holder, road bar-end led caps, carbon headset covers, smartwool
> socks, campag wine bottle openers....
>
> It can be clothing, equipment, cycling dvds but no food or mag subscriptions
> as he already gets them all.
>
> any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance!

cycling diecast see
http://www.norev.com/index.php?cont...helle=0&categorie=1&valid=yes&lang=fr&okm=Go;

you can order from n.a. distributor at http://www.minigrid.com

disclaimer; I have no affiliation with either the manufacturer or
posted distributor of the diecast

NOSPAM wrote:
> Hi guys and gals,
>
> I need to get a gift under $30 for a friend of mine. I ride and so does he
> so we both browse the same velonews and performance ect. catalogues so I'm
> trying to think of a cool toy I can buy for him or his bike that will really
> be different.
>
> Only prob is the secret swap rules means I'm limited to $30.
>
> He's into his road racing (on tv and in real life Cat 4) and does some
> mountainbiking.
>
> I've lost touch with the shops lately, are there any cool, gee-whiz products
> out there at the moment? A couple of years ago cool gifts were the park
> toilet paper holder, road bar-end led caps, carbon headset covers, smartwool
> socks, campag wine bottle openers....
>
> It can be clothing, equipment, cycling dvds but no food or mag subscriptions
> as he already gets them all.
>
> any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance!

These bottle openers are very cool.

http://tinyurl.com/sqsas

I bought some of these for friends and then decided that it would be
even better to make my own. If you have any old cassettes and worn out
chain:

1) Take the cassette apart. Most are held together with screws or rivets.

2) Cut up an appropriate cog, I used a 4" angle grinder but a patient
person might be able to do it with a hack saw.

3) Drill two holes in the cog piece at the small end. Some cogs are made
of fairly hard steel so be careful. Size the drill to fit the rivet that
you will use.

4) Get a piece of chain with an inner link on each end, take out the
roller and if there is one, the bushing.

5) If the chain links have a separate bushing, cut rivets from a steel
nail. I found that a 20d common nail works. For chains without a
separate bushing you can use a chain pin as a rivet.

6) Put the rivet through the link and the cog and beat it with a hammer
(this is the fun part)

7) Go celebrate with a brew.

I can post some photos if you can't picture what I am describing.

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 21:10:29 -0500, "NOSPAM" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi guys and gals,
>
>I need to get a gift under $30 for a friend of mine. I ride and so does he
>so we both browse the same velonews and performance ect. catalogues so I'm
>trying to think of a cool toy I can buy for him or his bike that will really
>be different.

www.cagerocket.com and fill it with his favourite snack bars

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Stars and Watercarriers, Sunday in Hell, Le Course en tete...all three
really great DVDs.

wrote:

>Hi guys and gals,
>
>I need to get a gift under $30 for a friend of mine. I ride and so does he
>so we both browse the same velonews and performance ect. catalogues so I'm
>trying to think of a cool toy I can buy for him or his bike that will really
>be different.
>
>Only prob is the secret swap rules means I'm limited to $30.
>
>He's into his road racing (on tv and in real life Cat 4) and does some
>mountainbiking.
>
>I've lost touch with the shops lately, are there any cool, gee-whiz products
>out there at the moment? A couple of years ago cool gifts were the park
>toilet paper holder, road bar-end led caps, carbon headset covers, smartwool
>socks, campag wine bottle openers....
>
>It can be clothing, equipment, cycling dvds but no food or mag subscriptions
>as he already gets them all.
>
>any suggestions?
>
>Thanks in advance!

A cheap tracfone. You can get a cell phone with 120 minutes + 2
months service for $19.99. Tracfone.com.