Suggestions for my trip to Paris/Champagne

Greetings,

I will be traveling to Paris and Champagne in early November. This is
my first time to France and would appreciate some suggestions for
things to do/see/buy while there. Specifically, is there anything
cycling specific that I "must" see? Clearly, the Champs will get
visited. Also, is there something worth purchasing, for example, hard
to find jerseys? I will be spending a weekend in Champagne, and that
is mostly booked already with champagne related activities. But, if
there is something relevant to cycling in that area that deserves a
quick visit, please let me know.

I hope my questions were clear and understandable. If not, feel free
to flame me.

Thank you for your help.

james

On 17 Oct 2006 09:15:10 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc,

> I will be traveling to Paris and Champagne in early November. This is
> my first time to France and would appreciate some suggestions for
> things to do/see/buy while there.

For Paris:

If you speak even bad high school French from 40 years ago, you
will get a much better reaction from Parisians if you try to
speak French, and you will find your language returning in a few
days. Parisians are often the New Yorkers of France --- pushy,
often rude, often in a hurry, but even so, they expect everyone
to say "Bonjour Monsieur" or "Bonjour Madame" when you first
approach them; to speak directly without saying hello first is
considered VERY rude.

If you want a truly memorable dinner in Paris, I suggest the Cafe
Procope on Rue Ancienne Comedie, just off the Boulevard
St-Germain. If they bring you the the a la carte menu, ask
politely for the "prix fixee" (fixed price) menu, which is what
the locals use. A memorable six course meal taking several hours
will be worth the $50-60 or so per person. This place has been
in business so long that Voltaire used to eat there, but is good
enough that the customer list includes Gertrude Stein and Paul
Auster (letters from all 3 are posted in the waiting area).
Reservations recommended unless you want to wait an hour for a
table.

I found a very reasonably priced hotel near the Gare du Nord,
where the trains from London arrive. The Hotel du Brabant is on
the Rue de Petite Hotels. A quiet and simple single room cost me
42 Euros in the middle of the summer high season in 2004, and
IIRC doubles are around $50-$70, a real bargain for Paris. They
have a storeroom off the lobby where you can stash your bike.

I have no connection with the place other than being a satisfied
customer. See http://hotelbrabant.free.fr/

On 17 Oct 2006 09:15:10 -0700, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I will be traveling to Paris and Champagne in early November. This is
>my first time to France and would appreciate some suggestions for
>things to do/see/buy while there. Specifically, is there anything
>cycling specific that I "must" see? Clearly, the Champs will get
>visited. Also, is there something worth purchasing, for example, hard
>to find jerseys? I will be spending a weekend in Champagne, and that
>is mostly booked already with champagne related activities. But, if
>there is something relevant to cycling in that area that deserves a
>quick visit, please let me know.
>
>I hope my questions were clear and understandable. If not, feel free
>to flame me.
>
>Thank you for your help.
>
>james

General Paris cycling; fantasic all over Paris, even in rush hour. You
can bike right down the Champ. If you're there on a Thursday and have
few hours to kill, stop by the "Club" meeting:

http://www.metropoleparis.com/2006/1141/1141clb42.html

Holiday Inn Bastille could be had in '05 for 110 E and they let you
take the bike to the room. Walkable from Gare d'Lyon.

[email protected] wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I will be traveling to Paris and Champagne in early November. This is
> my first time to France and would appreciate some suggestions for
> things to do/see/buy while there. Specifically, is there anything
> cycling specific that I "must" see? Clearly, the Champs will get
> visited. Also, is there something worth purchasing, for example, hard
> to find jerseys? I will be spending a weekend in Champagne, and that
> is mostly booked already with champagne related activities. But, if
> there is something relevant to cycling in that area that deserves a
> quick visit, please let me know.

If you will only be in the Champagne region on the weekend, this will
probably not work. If you a there on a weekday, you might consider
taking a tour of the National Circus School of France. It is not far
from the center of Chalons-en-Champagne. One of the skills the students
learn is trick bicycle riding.