Suggestions for new tyres and inner-tubes

Galapagos

Oct 11, 2006
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site so hello!

I am currently living in Tanegashima, a small Japanese island. Cycling here is amazing however the lack of bike shops and experts means that I'm sometimes at a loss. I have been biking for several years but am a relative newcomer to the nuts and bolts of actually having to make repairs! Hehe.

Anyway, here is my problem. I ordered a Marin Mill Valley from England and it has been fab. However time has come for me to replace my tyres and inner-tubes having experienced a lot of punctures recently.

The bike originally came fitted with - Vittoria Zaffiro Folding, 700 x 28C, (with Kevlar Bead and Puncture Resistant Belt). I am looking for something similar, maybe a little more puncture resistant but not sacrificing on build quality or speed.

I will be buying on-line from Japanese stores which all tend to stock predominantly Panaracer and Continental gear. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good buy?

Thanks!!

Galapagos said:
Thanks Scotty,

Can you or anyone explain the sizing measurements for tyres and tubes? What does the "700" and "28c" denote?

Cheers
700 is the nominal tire outside diameter in millimeters. A more accurate measurement would be 622mm bead seat diameter for the rim.

28 is the nominal tire width in millimeters, depending on actual rim width.

Go here for even more info regarding tire sizing:
http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Scotty_Dog said:
700 is the nominal tire outside diameter in millimeters. A more accurate measurement would be 622mm bead seat diameter for the rim.

Thanks!

A couple more questions if you don't mind. The Ultra Gator looks great. Excuse my newbieness but is this a folding tyre, no glue involved right in the attaching of it to the wheel? Also, looking at the Continental site, any suggestions for suitable tubes?

Ta!

Galapagos said:
Thanks!

A couple more questions if you don't mind. The Ultra Gator looks great. Excuse my newbieness but is this a folding tyre, no glue involved right in the attaching of it to the wheel? Also, looking at the Continental site, any suggestions for suitable tubes?

Ta!
A tire is foldable if it does not have a wire bead. The sizing chart on the Continental website linked above shows that only the 700x23c tire is available as a foldable tire.

The tire is a clincher, so no glue is needed.

A link below the sizing chart shows suitable tube sizes depending on the tire size you choose.

One more....

How much does the width of the actual wheel affect my choice of tyres and tubes? Are most models compatiable?

Excuse my naiveity
:(

Scotty_Dog said:

What does the C mean? Clincher?

chero said:
What does the C mean? Clincher?
something to do with measurement. cubic centimetres of volume, or millimeters of width.

I would suggest Continental GP 4 seasons, or attack force, with conti supersonic tubes.

C=Profile,

some sizes have a, b, c, d, and do not fit the same rims.

Just order 28x700 and you'll be right

I will suggest looking af Conti Sport Contact in 28X700, it is even more puncture resistant than gator skins.

Tubes for 28mm tyres, Conti Tour 700all or,
Conti Tour 700 slim for 25mm.