Last year the family and I undertook a short cycle tour from Ilfracombe to Plymouth. Not far for 4 or 5 days it took us but then the children were only 5,4 and 2 yrs.
We would like to undertake a longer (but hopefully flatter) tour this summer and I was therefore wondering if anyone had any suggestions. We would camp along the way and then on the final day I would cycle back to the start (without pulling the 2 children, tent, etc) to pick up the car. The requirements are therefore:
About 150 miles Some campsites along the way Not too hilly Places to visit to keep the children amused. fairly quiet roads (or easy off-road)
Last year the family and I undertook a short cycle tour from Ilfracombe to Plymouth. Not far for 4 or 5 days it took us but then the children were only 5,4 and 2 yrs.
We would like to undertake a longer (but hopefully flatter) tour this summer and I was therefore wondering if anyone had any suggestions. We would camp along the way and then on the final day I would cycle back to the start (without pulling the 2 children, tent, etc) to pick up the car. The requirements are therefore:
About 150 miles Some campsites along the way Not too hilly Places to visit to keep the children amused. fairly quiet roads (or easy off-road)
Any suggestions?
Have you checked out Sustrans routes? If you're in the south-west, the West Country Way would be worth considering. My diary of our trip is under "cycle tours" at http://www.bikesandtrains.co.uk/
About 150 miles Some campsites along the way Not too hilly Places to visit to keep the children amused. fairly quiet roads (or easy off-road)
Any suggestions?
Starting from Bath? How about a circuit of the three cathedrals (Gloucester/Worcester/Hereford) as the basis for a short trip? Bath-Gloucester over the cotswolds may be more than you want to do in a day with children of that age, but between each of the three cities is much less work.
About 150 miles Some campsites along the way Not too hilly Places to visit to keep the children amused. fairly quiet roads (or easy off-road)
Any suggestions?
Starting from Bath? How about a circuit of the three cathedrals (Gloucester/Worcester/Hereford) as the basis for a short trip? Bath-Gloucester over the cotswolds may be more than you want to do in a day with children of that age, but between each of the three cities is much less work.
I was not thinking of starting from home as will then not get much beyond some of my training rides (obviously not undertaken with the children)!