Suggestions for short cycle tour

gjt70

Guest
Dear All,

Last year the family and I undertook a short cycle tour from Ilfracombe
to Plymouth. Not far for 4 or 5 days it took us but then the children
were only 5,4 and 2 yrs.

We would like to undertake a longer (but hopefully flatter) tour this
summer and I was therefore wondering if anyone had any suggestions. We
would camp along the way and then on the final day I would cycle back to
the start (without pulling the 2 children, tent, etc) to pick up the
car. The requirements are therefore:

About 150 miles
Some campsites along the way
Not too hilly
Places to visit to keep the children amused.
fairly quiet roads (or easy off-road)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gordon

gjt70 wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Last year the family and I undertook a short cycle tour from Ilfracombe
> to Plymouth. Not far for 4 or 5 days it took us but then the children
> were only 5,4 and 2 yrs.
>
> We would like to undertake a longer (but hopefully flatter) tour this
> summer and I was therefore wondering if anyone had any suggestions. We
> would camp along the way and then on the final day I would cycle back to
> the start (without pulling the 2 children, tent, etc) to pick up the
> car. The requirements are therefore:
>
> About 150 miles
> Some campsites along the way
> Not too hilly
> Places to visit to keep the children amused.
> fairly quiet roads (or easy off-road)
>
> Any suggestions?

Have you checked out Sustrans routes? If you're in the south-west, the West Country Way
would be worth considering. My diary of our trip is under "cycle tours" at
http://www.bikesandtrains.co.uk/

Alan

gjt70 wrote:

> About 150 miles
> Some campsites along the way
> Not too hilly
> Places to visit to keep the children amused.
> fairly quiet roads (or easy off-road)
>
> Any suggestions?

Starting from Bath? How about a circuit of the
three cathedrals (Gloucester/Worcester/Hereford) as
the basis for a short trip? Bath-Gloucester over the
cotswolds may be more than you want to do in a day
with children of that age, but between each of the
three cities is much less work.

--
not me guv

Nick Kew wrote:
> gjt70 wrote:
>

>>About 150 miles
>>Some campsites along the way
>>Not too hilly
>>Places to visit to keep the children amused.
>>fairly quiet roads (or easy off-road)
>>
>>Any suggestions?

> Starting from Bath? How about a circuit of the
> three cathedrals (Gloucester/Worcester/Hereford) as
> the basis for a short trip? Bath-Gloucester over the
> cotswolds may be more than you want to do in a day
> with children of that age, but between each of the
> three cities is much less work.

I was not thinking of starting from home as will then not get much
beyond some of my training rides (obviously not undertaken with the
children)!

Gordon