suggestions on bike buying

yehding

Guest
Thanks for all your reply and suggetions.

This person is selling 2 bikes that I think may be good for us to start
with, and to get a feeling about mountain bikes in general.
Could you comment on whether they may be good ones to start with?
Are there any basic specs. I would want to ask about them?
I know it's probably a dumb question to ask you experienced riders, but any
suggestion is appreciated.
Thanks.

> bikes for sale:

Bicyle - Men's '95 Trek all-terrain 23" bike in excellent condition. Bike
manual and helmet included. Paid over $300.00; asking $75.00.

Bicyle - Women's '95 Specialized all-terrain 20" bike in excellent
condition. Bike manual and helmet included. Paid over $300.00; asking
$75.00.

Yeh

yehding wrote:
> Thanks for all your reply and suggetions.
>
> This person is selling 2 bikes that I think may be good for us to
> start with, and to get a feeling about mountain bikes in general.
> Could you comment on whether they may be good ones to start with?
> Are there any basic specs. I would want to ask about them?
> I know it's probably a dumb question to ask you experienced riders,
> but any suggestion is appreciated.
> Thanks.
>
>> bikes for sale:

> Bicyle - Men's '95 Trek all-terrain 23" bike in excellent condition.
> Bike manual and helmet included. Paid over $300.00; asking $75.00.
>
> Bicyle - Women's '95 Specialized all-terrain 20" bike in excellent
> condition. Bike manual and helmet included. Paid over $300.00; asking
> $75.00.
>
> Yeh

Not enough information to tell. What models are the bikes? What's your
intended use? Are they in good shape?
I'm assuming it's for you and your husband/wife/campanion.
Are you big people? Those are very large frames. I'm 5'9" and an 18" frame
fits me well. Even that women's frame (which is also suspect, most mountain
bikes for mountain biking don't have gender-specific frames) would be way
too big for me.

Matt

Thanks for your advice, Matt,

It looks like the bikes are too big for us. I'm 5'6" and my boyfriend is
5'11". Looks like we'll pass this one. The original owners of the bikes
must be pretty tall people...

Yeh.

news:[email protected]...

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 11:24:46 -0500, yehding wrote:

>> bikes for sale:

> Bicyle - Men's '95 Trek all-terrain 23" bike in excellent condition. Bike
> manual and helmet included. Paid over $300.00; asking $75.00.

a) 23"? That's for people over 6'5"
b) $75 for a 9 year old $300 bike is a lot, no matter what condition.

> Bicyle - Women's '95 Specialized all-terrain 20" bike in excellent
> condition. Bike manual and helmet included. Paid over $300.00; asking
> $75.00.

a) 20"? That's for people over 6'.
b) $75 for a 9 year old $300 bike is a lot, no matter what condition.

If they were under $50, fitted both of you well and you were a competent
mechanic then it might be worth considering. Otherwise I'd leave well
alone and go to a bike shop.

yehding said...

> Thanks for your advice, Matt,
>
> It looks like the bikes are too big for us. I'm 5'6" and my boyfriend is
> 5'11". Looks like we'll pass this one. The original owners of the bikes
> must be pretty tall people...
>
> Yeh.

You should look for something about 15" and your boyfriend about 19", or
small for you and large for him, but individual bike models vary a lot.
If you really want to research fit, go to www.wrenchscience.com and use
their fit calculator for both of you. You can look up the geometry of
most brand name bikes from the last few years on the web.

bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...6'.
> b) $75 for a 9 year old $300 bike is a lot, no matter what condition.

That's a load of ****, Jon. Old MTBs in decent condition sell
regularly at a shop here on consignment for about $125 and get new
life as college commuters. Thinking further about it, a $75 "starter"
MTB like those are a really good deal...if they fit.

JD