Suggestions regarding longer stem for my mtb

Sambhav

Nov 27, 2020
So I use a MTB for road cycling as India hasn't got the best roads for expensive road bikes. Naturally, for more speed I stuck with the stock 680mm handlebar. My curiosity however, lies within the stem. Currently I have a 90mm stem and it still makes me sit in bit of an upright position (as I'm 185cms tall and have a 17' frame size). I was wondering to opt for a longer stem (at least 110mm) to achieve a more "aero" position than current and get some more speed for those long distance peddling. Hence need suggestions in that regard.

P.S. I live in a developing city which hasn't got proper bike shops so can't just pop in one and try different stems, probably they won't even have one so I'll order one (if required) online after going through suggestions

Functionally, there is very little difference between stems of the same spec from different manufacturers. Pick one with a price/weight that you like.

Another idea, rather than mess with finding and swapping stems is adding MTB bar ends to the handlebars.

I love mine. They extend forward so you get the extended reach you are seeking, the forward leaning position that is more aero.

I really love mine and don't care to ride my MTB without them. More aero on the road if I ride it on flats. NOT TO MENTION, better on climbing as you can lean forward and pull back for more torque and leverage.

I like the hand position it adds as well. Riding the bar ends on my MTB feels much like riding the hoods on my road bike.

I RARELY RIDE MY MTB ON THE HANDLEBARS BECAUSE THE BAR ENDS ARE SO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE AND EFFICIENT.

Bar ends can be rather inexpensive and easy to install. :cool::):cool:

You can see the bar end sticking up by my hand on the handlebars.

090810M500.jpg

Another view. You set the angle which gives you the reach you desire extending the ride position across the bike.

090810K500.jpg

This day I rode on the paved bike trail 40 miles. Comfortable and plenty of aero position to move along at a decent speed.

00MTBSART.jpg

Great for climbing, adding leverage to the ride position. This is a 10% grade and I appreciate the extra leverage on these kinds of grades.

040716A.JPG

Different styles, angles, lengths, shapes depending on what you want and care to spend and how cool you want to look. :D I have little short stubs on my MTB. Paid about $20 at Performance back when they were still around.

There are even longer versions that will give you even more reach, if you do a search.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG