Sugino Alpina Torque?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Steve_A, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Steve_A

Steve_A Member

I will be installing a Sugino Alpina (double) crank on my new frame. Torque recommendations in general for square-taper BBs are 305 in/lbs and up. My brief internet research has turned up the fact that Sugino apparently once recommended a much lower value. Anyone have a recommendation? Thanks in advance, Steve

Tags:

2. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

25 ft/lb is about right for a square taper crank.

Unless the manufacture states otherwise, clean the taper on the axle and inside the cranks well and install dry. Tighten the bolts to the correct torque and pop on the dust caps and go have fun.

Overtime your crank bolts may come lose - i've had this happen once in about 10 years but don't make a habit of going back and re-torquing frequently as this is thought to be the main cause of square taper cranks splitting. I just used a tiny dab of threadlocker (locktite red) on the bolts which not only stop the bolts from coming lose but also stop corrosion and seizing if you live somewhere really wet and cold (road salt etc in the winter)

3. Steve_A

Steve_A Member

Thanks, Swampy. I finally found a quote from Sugino that said 34 to 44 nM, which is about 300 in/lb and up. So that's what I used. I also read the Jobst Brandt article on cranks and overtightening. So that part of the job is done. Just waiting for some parts that I ordered, and will hopefully pick up my wheels on Friday.