Sugino crankset removal

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Quote: Originally Posted by stevegreer .

@kdelong - Yep, Sugino pretty much is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to cranksets.
And you base this on what?

Sugino chainsets are used by the all conquering British Cycling track squad as well as quite a few other pro track riders. Their chainrings are amazing and the superlap bottom brackets are near mythically good. I can't see British Cycling cobbling on a low rent chainset onto a bike that costs about $35,000 per rider. Their road cranksets feature forged crank arms which are pretty darned strong - I'd bet that if you'd pulled that stunt with the crank extractor on a campagnolo square taper crank you'd have ripped the threads out pretty early on.

Your observations are based upon you seeing some lower budget bikes with Sugino cranks?

I will refer you to post #17 where I clarified that when I said Sugino was bottom of the barrel that I was meaning that it wasn't one of the "big three" and not that I thought Sugino was ****. In fact, the large chainring on my Trek is a Sugino. I don't have a problem with Sugino cranksets at all.