Sugino drivetrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DóNal Leader

I had my Trek 7700 checked out with my local dealer last week. He called to say that the drivetrain
needed replacing. I said OK. However, when I got the bike back he had installed a Sugino Impel
drankshaft, chain and cassette. Not Shimano Nexave, the system already on the bike. I checked with
him and he told me that the Sugino products are just as good as the original Shimano drivetrain
systems. Was he spoofing or should I push to have Shimano replacement parts put on the machine. I
love the bike and it has served me very well; I would hate to see it diminished by poor quality
aftermarket parts. Any ideas out there?

Donal Galway, Ireland

Donal:

It depends. Sugino is one of the largest manufacturers of cranksets in the world. They sell under
their own name, and build for many other companies. They could be jobbing for Shimano as well. They
make stuff that ranges from low end to among the best made. I have several bikes, 3 of which have
Sugino or Sugino-made cranksets. I have broken/bent/and stripped-out several cranks in the last 10
years, including Campagnolo, Cook Bros. and Shimano, but I've never had a problem with a Sugino
crankset. My favorite crank is a Sugino (Ritchey-branded) triple - I consider this the finest crank
I have ever come across.

Shimano Nexave is low to mid-level stuff. If you want to figure out if you have been upgraded or
downgraded, check the chainrings. If your Nexave crank had (shiny chrome) steel rings, and the
Sugino crank has alloy (dull grey colour) rings, then you've received an upgrade.

"Dónal Leader" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BAB5BE87.137F%[email protected]...
> I had my Trek 7700 checked out with my local dealer last week. He called
to
> say that the drivetrain needed replacing. I said OK. However, when I got
the
> bike back he had installed a Sugino Impel drankshaft, chain and cassette. Not Shimano Nexave, the
> system already on the bike. I checked with him and he told me that the Sugino products are just as
> good as the original
Shimano
> drivetrain systems. Was he spoofing or should I push to have Shimano replacement parts put on the
> machine. I love the bike and it has served me very well; I would hate to see it diminished by poor
> quality aftermarket parts. Any ideas out there?
>
> Donal Galway, Ireland

"Dónal Leader" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BAB5BE87.137F%[email protected]...
> I had my Trek 7700 checked out with my local dealer last week. He called
to
> say that the drivetrain needed replacing. I said OK. However, when I got
the
> bike back he had installed a Sugino Impel drankshaft, chain and cassette. Not Shimano Nexave, the
> system already on the bike. I checked with him and he told me that the Sugino products are just as
> good as the original
Shimano
> drivetrain systems. Was he spoofing or should I push to have Shimano replacement parts put on the
> machine. I love the bike and it has served me very well; I would hate to see it diminished by poor
> quality aftermarket parts. Any ideas out there?

Sugino Impel are good quality and arguably better than Nexave.
--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 15:37:36 +0000, Dave Mayer wrote:

> Shimano Nexave is low to mid-level stuff. If you want to figure out if you have been upgraded or
> downgraded, check the chainrings. If your Nexave crank had (shiny chrome) steel rings, and the
> Sugino crank has alloy (dull grey colour) rings, then you've received an upgrade.

I have a Sugino Impel crankset (mountain-bike cranks I use on the road). Originally, only the big
ring was aluminum, with the small ones stainless. This is actually a good idea, though, since they
are small and the steel will not be that heavy, and will wear much better.

Good crankset; which means it looks nice enough and hasn't broken.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems. _`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
(_)/ (_) |

Status
Not open for further replies.