Sugino Freewheel?

Thomas Reynolds

Guest
I have a 5 speed freewheel that I want to remove from the hub but I don't have a tool for it and
neither do any of the bike shops that I have taken it to. I have been told it is a Sugino freewheel.
It required splines tool to remove it. The splines are much finer than on the Shimano freewheels. A
web search didn't help. And there are no markings on the freewheel.

I have two questions. First, is this a Sugino freewheel? I want to positively ID it so that I can
just call bike shops to see if they can remove it. It is five speed, 14-34, and every other tooth
missing from the two largest cogs (it was made that way). It looks similar to the Sachs freewheel on
Sheldon's site:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html

except for the missing teeth and that my freewheel has a large ring in front of the smallest cog,
covering the cog and its teeth but leaving the center exposed.

Second question is can I buy a removal tool anywhere or is this a hopeless cause?

Thanks in advance, Tom

Thomas Reynolds wrote:
> I have a 5 speed freewheel that I want to remove from the hub but I don't have a tool for it and
> neither do any of the bike shops that I have taken it to. I have been told it is a Sugino
> freewheel.

I'm 95% certain there is no such animal. SunTour, Shimano, Sachs, and a host of others, but not
Sugino. I think it's time to find a bike shop with a few more years of experience.

> It required splines tool to remove it. The splines are much finer than on the Shimano freewheels.
> A web search didn't help. And there are no markings on the freewheel.

Sure about the "no markings" part? It would make a big difference.

> [..] It is five speed, 14-34, and every other tooth missing from the two largest cogs (it was made
> that way).

This sounds like an OLD Shimano design (the skip-tooth). IIRC, the old shimano spline is different
than the more recent ones.

> [..]my freewheel has a large ring in front of the smallest cog, covering the cog and its teeth
> but leaving the center exposed.

A flat disk of a ring parallel to the smallest cog? Sounds like an old "Schwinn-approved". Look for
faint markings on the cover/ring. I thought those were made by Atom, but maybe some old Shimano's
were used also. Hmmm... if Atoms ever had a skip-tooth, the fine spline and cover over the small cog
makes it sound like an Atom made for Schwinn.

> Second question is can I buy a removal tool anywhere or is this a hopeless cause?

Unless it is really old (over 25 years) you can almost certainly buy a tool, IF you can identify it.
Some data: The OLD Shimano remover (I think that's what I'm holding in my hand - no markings again)
is 2.0 cm wide including the splines, has twelve splines. The splines have a square-topped profile.
Atom splines had pointy tops IIRC. Sorry, I've gotten rid of the Atom remover. If you need the old
Shimano, it's for sale.

Regards,
--
Mark Janeba remove antispam phrase in address to reply

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:26:02 +0000, Thomas Reynolds wrote:

> I have a 5 speed freewheel that I want to remove from the hub but I don't have a tool for it and
> neither do any of the bike shops that I have taken it to. I have been told it is a Sugino
> freewheel. It required splines tool to remove it. The splines are much finer than on the Shimano
> freewheels. A web search didn't help. And there are no markings on the freewheel.
>
> I have two questions. First, is this a Sugino freewheel?

Hard to tell without seeing it, though I have never heard of that particular beast. How about a
picture? Post it somewhere and provide a link.

> I want to positively ID it so that I can just call bike shops to see if they can remove it.

Best to take the wheel with you to the shops.

> except for the missing teeth and that my freewheel has a large ring in front of the smallest cog,
> covering the cog and its teeth but leaving the center exposed.

You mean something like the Shimano lockring?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can _`\(,_ | only be cured by
something racy and Italian. Bianchis and (_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis
and Ferraris. -- Glenn Davies

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:26:02 +0000, Thomas Reynolds wrote:

> I have a 5 speed freewheel that I want to remove from the hub but I don't have a tool for it and
> neither do any of the bike shops that I have taken it to. I have been told it is a Sugino
> freewheel. It required splines tool to remove it. The splines are much finer than on the Shimano
> freewheels. A web search didn't help. And there are no markings on the freewheel.
>
> I have two questions. First, is this a Sugino freewheel? I want to positively ID it so that I can
> just call bike shops to see if they can remove it. It is five speed, 14-34, and every other tooth
> missing from the two largest cogs (it was made that way). It looks similar to the Sachs freewheel
> on Sheldon's site:

The rude approach to this would be to remove the outer shell of the freewheel, so that the millions
of little tiny bearings can escape, along with the watch-springs and pawls that are in there. Like
Humpty Dumpty, you will never get it together again. But it's old, and probably worn out, anyway.
Once all that is gone, you should be able to get a purchase on the body with a big ol' pipe wrench.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all _`\(,_ | mysteries, and all
knowledge; and though I have all faith, so (_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not
charity, I am nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

"Thomas Reynolds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a 5 speed freewheel that I want to remove from the hub but I don't have a tool for it and
> neither do any of the bike shops that I have taken it to. I have been told it is a Sugino
> freewheel. It required splines tool to remove it. The splines are much finer than on the Shimano
> freewheels. A web search didn't help. And there are no markings on the freewheel.
>
> I have two questions. First, is this a Sugino freewheel? I want to positively ID it so that I can
> just call bike shops to see if they can remove it. It is five speed, 14-34, and every other tooth
> missing from the two largest cogs (it was made that way). It looks similar to the Sachs freewheel
> on Sheldon's site:
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html
>
> except for the missing teeth and that my freewheel has a large ring in front of the smallest cog,
> covering the cog and its teeth but leaving the center exposed.
>
> Second question is can I buy a removal tool anywhere or is this a hopeless cause?
>
> Thanks in advance, Tom

There was a recent Sugino series made in China for economy bicycles so that's possible (even though
I gave not seen a Sugino freewheel). Did you visit a competent LBS which services bicycles? They
will have a plethora of freewheel removing tools. Th customary charge for removal is a dollar or two
if you just bring them a wheel. You would then know which pattern tool to use.