Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Sugino RD-48 and BB-7418AL Compatible?

Started by James · · Last activity · 5 posts · 474 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
24 November 2007
Last activity
26 November 2007
Original author
James
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
474
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a 4-yr old road bike with a 9spd Tiagra triple. I only use the
    bike for commuting on a flat route. The crankset weighs a ton, and I
    carry that weight for nothing. No hills, not much need to shift the
    front gears. I was thinking of going with a single chainring and
    removing the front dérailleur. That would lighten the bike by almost a
    pound and make the bike simpler (more reliable), while still leaving
    me with 9 gears to choose from.

    I'm considering the Sugino RD-48, a 48-tooth single speed crankset.
    One vendor says it's supposed to use a 110mm road BB or a 103mm track
    BB.

    My existing BB is a Tiagra BB-7418AL square taper 68x113. Will the
    RD-48 square taper hole and the BB spindle match up? Also, what about
    the 110mm crank spec vs. the 113mm BB length -- does that 3mm
    difference matter?

  2. James said:

    I have a 4-yr old road bike with a 9spd Tiagra triple. I only use the
    bike for commuting on a flat route. The crankset weighs a ton, and I
    carry that weight for nothing. No hills, not much need to shift the
    front gears. I was thinking of going with a single chainring and
    removing the front dérailleur. That would lighten the bike by almost a
    pound and make the bike simpler (more reliable), while still leaving
    me with 9 gears to choose from.

    I'm considering the Sugino RD-48, a 48-tooth single speed crankset.
    One vendor says it's supposed to use a 110mm road BB or a 103mm track
    BB.

    My existing BB is a Tiagra BB-7418AL square taper 68x113. Will the
    RD-48 square taper hole and the BB spindle match up? Also, what about
    the 110mm crank spec vs. the 113mm BB length -- does that 3mm
    difference matter?

    If you were going to make the bike a single speed or fixed, then
    having a precise chainline would make a difference. Since you have
    gears in the back, the exact placement of your chainrings makes no
    difference. The 113 should work fine.

    Not having a front derailleur I've heard makes having the chain bounce
    off over some bumps a (perhaps remote) possibility.

    Joseph

  3. James said:

    I have a 4-yr old road bike with a 9spd Tiagra triple. I only use the
    bike for commuting on a flat route. The crankset weighs a ton, and I
    carry that weight for nothing. No hills, not much need to shift the
    front gears. I was thinking of going with a single chainring and
    removing the front dérailleur. That would lighten the bike by almost a
    pound and make the bike simpler (more reliable), while still leaving
    me with 9 gears to choose from.

    I'm considering the Sugino RD-48, a 48-tooth single speed crankset.
    One vendor says it's supposed to use a 110mm road BB or a 103mm track
    BB.

    My existing BB is a Tiagra BB-7418AL square taper 68x113. Will the
    RD-48 square taper hole and the BB spindle match up? Also, what about
    the 110mm crank spec vs. the 113mm BB length -- does that 3mm
    difference matter?

    BB-7418 is an old Dura-Ace model, not Tiagra. (congrats!)

    Taper should match fine, length you can fudge a little since you're
    not going single-speed. I'd just worry about the chain falling in your
    smallest gear, since the chain angle will be similar to a big/big
    combo, but no FD to keep it from derailing. I'd say try it, and if it
    doesn't work, get a UN-54 or similar in a shorter spindle. With the
    crank mounted, you can measure your chainline, and calculate how much
    shorter it needs to be. The chainring should line up with the 5th
    sprocket of your 9-speed cluster. Measure the distance from that
    sprocket to the dropout and subtract it from 65mm (the center of a
    130mm hub), then measure from the center of the seat tube to the
    chainring. Those distances should be pretty close if the BB length is
    correct.

  4. Hank Wirtz said:
    James said:

    I'm considering the Sugino RD-48, a 48-tooth single speed crankset.
    One vendor says it's supposed to use a 110mm road BB or a 103mm track
    BB.

    Quoted message said:

    My existing BB is a Tiagra BB-7418AL square taper 68x113. Will the
    RD-48 square taper hole and the BB spindle match up? Also, what about
    the 110mm crank spec vs. the 113mm BB length -- does that 3mm
    difference matter?

    BB-7418 is an old Dura-Ace model, not Tiagra. (congrats!)

    Taper should match fine, length you can fudge a little since you're
    not going single-speed. I'd just worry about the chain falling in your
    smallest gear, since the chain angle will be similar to a big/big
    combo, but no FD to keep it from derailing. I'd say try it, and if it
    doesn't work, get a UN-54 or similar in a shorter spindle.

    Thanks to you and Joseph for your informative replies. I'm going to
    give it a try.

  5. James said:

    I have a 4-yr old road bike with a 9spd Tiagra triple. I only use the
    bike for commuting on a flat route. The crankset weighs a ton, and I
    carry that weight for nothing. No hills, not much need to shift the
    front gears. I was thinking of going with a single chainring and
    removing the front dérailleur. That would lighten the bike by almost a
    pound and make the bike simpler (more reliable), while still leaving
    me with 9 gears to choose from.

    I'm considering the Sugino RD-48, a 48-tooth single speed crankset.
    One vendor says it's supposed to use a 110mm road BB or a 103mm track
    BB.

    My existing BB is a Tiagra BB-7418AL square taper 68x113. Will the
    RD-48 square taper hole and the BB spindle match up? Also, what about
    the 110mm crank spec vs. the 113mm BB length -- does that 3mm
    difference matter?

    FYI:
    With a 103 mm bottom bracket, that crank will give you a 42 mm chainline
    on the outside position (40 mm on the inside).

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.